Brad M
Brad M, Network Administrator
Experience:  IPSEC VPN, TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, etc... Currently a network admin at a webhosting company.
41676755

I have a WRT54G wireless router. I cannot connect to it. I

I have a WRT54G wireless router. I cannot connect to it. I think it is a password XXXXX but am not sure. I don't know the password, but I have been able to connect without re-entering the PW up until a couple of days ago. How should I proceed?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

Brad M :

Hi, my name isXXXXX will be happy to assist you with this issue.

Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.
Are you having to enter a password XXXXX get online or to get into the management interface for the router? I'm not sure why you would not be able to access it anymore unless someone made a change to it. Let me know which password XXXXX is, and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot get online using the wireless. I can get into the management interface without a password. Bill
Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

I would recommend going into the wireless setup in the management interface of the router and resetting/changing the wireless password. If you have any questions about how to do this or if you do not have your manual, please let me know and I will be happy to assist you in any way I can.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I get to the wireless setup in the management interface of the router. And then how do I reset the password?
Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

You can download the manual for your router here:

http://www.retrevo.com/support/Linksys-WRT54GS-Wireless-Routers-manual/id/421ci076/t/2/

You will find the instructions on how to setup wireless security on page 29.

Basically, once you log in to the router's management interface, click the tab that says Wireless. From here you will see the type of encryption that is setup and you can delete the password XXXXX is in the box and re-enter the one you think it should be.

Please reference the manual or feel free to post back here and I will help in any way I can.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was able to reset the "wireless network security key" but I don't know what it should be.

Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

You can make the key be anything you want it to be. Whenever one of your devices tries to connect, it will prompt you for that key. So just make sure it is something you will remember or write it down for future reference.

Please let me know if you need anything else. I'm here to help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I keep getting the message that the wireless network security key is not correct. How can I correct it?
Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.
Whatever you set the key to be from within the router's management page, that is what you should type in on your computer when it asks you for the key. What operating system are you using? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac...?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have Vista. For about a year now, I have never had to re-enter the key. It just automatically opened. So..I don't know what the key should be. How can I reset it?
Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

Let's try removing your wireless network from your computer and then adding it back.

Click Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center ->
Manage Wireless Networks in the left pane.

Right-click the one you want to Remove and click remove/delete. Once you have removed this network from your computer, click on the wireless icon in the bottom right corner of the screen once to see a list of the wireless connections your computer can see. Click the Refresh button on this window and connect back to your network.

Let me know if this works or not or if you have any issues with it still.

Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I was just checking to see how things are going with your wireless issue. Have you had a chance to try my solution? Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By the way, I can no longer get the ethernet connection through the router to work either. I am currently plugged directly to the cable modem.

I did as you suggested and removed the wireless network. When I tried to connect back to the wireless, it was no longer visable. Like it is completely gone.

Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

What operating system do you have on your computer?

While you are connected to the modem directly go to the command prompt (see below) and type in ipconfig and press Enter. Please post the IP Address and the Default Gateway back to this forum.

**How to access command prompt:

Windows XP: click Start -> Run -> type cmd and press Enter

Vista/Windows 7: click Start -> type cmd and press Enter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm using Vista.

IPv6 Address..........: 2002:1813:ae2a::1813:ae2a

Defauly Gateway....:2002:c058:6301::c58:6301

Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

Are you intentionally using an IPv6 network or do you show IPv4 addresses also?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The numbers I gave you were under "Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection*33:"

Perhaps what you wanted was under "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:"

IPv4 Address: 24.19.174.42

Defauly Gateway: 24.19.172.1

Hope that makes more sense.

Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

Yes, those are the IPs I was looking for.

Ok, while still connected to the modem, open your web browser, and type in 24.19.172.1 and see if it will get you to the modem's configuration interface.

If this does not work, then tell me the make & model of your modem.

Basically what I'm trying to do is get your router's default gateway pointed to the LAN IP address of your modem. If typing in the IP address of your default gateway does not get you into your modem, then I will use the make & model to lookup its default LAN address.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It did not work.

The modem is a Motorola SB5120

Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

Try 192.168.100.1 for that modem. If you get to its configuration page, then that's all we need to know to verify that its LAN IP address is 192.168.100.1.

If you are ok with keeping that same IP address scheme (192.168.100.x) for the rest of your network (it's just a preference thing. it doesn't affect how your network works), then you can plug your computer back into your WRT54G router, log back into its configuration page (via 192.168.1.1), and set its LAN IP address to 192.168.100.2 and point its default gateway to 192.168.100.1 (the modem's LAN IP address).

Now you should be able to power off both the router and the modem, wait 30 seconds, power on the modem, wait 30 sec, power on the router, wait 30 sec, and then you should have internet connectivity through your router. Before powering the modem & router back on, be sure you have the modem plugged into the WAN port on your router.

Now as for your wireless settings, if you have already configured your wireless password XXXXX earlier, then you should be good to go there as well. If not, simply log into the router (192.168.1.1), click the Wireless tab, and change the wireless key and click Save Changes.

Another security recommendation is to change the router password (which by default is set to 'admin'). You can change the router password XXXXX clicking the Administration tab within the router's configuration page, then just change the filed that says Router Password (enter it twice to confirm it), and then click Save Changes.

If you have any more problems/questions regarding this issue, please post back here and I will help you in any way I possibly can.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I plug into the router, I can no longer access the internet. So how can I access the router's configuration page? I have no connection to the internet unless I plug directly into the modem and bypass the router.

Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

When you plug into the router, your computer should get a new IP address on the 192.168.1.x subnet. Then you should be able to access 192.168.1.1 from your web browser. Once you get inside the router, make the changes I mentioned above. Once you change your router's Local IP address, you will have to type in the new IP address in your browser to access the router.

Let me know if you need any more assistance. I am glad to help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I connect the router to the modem and then connect the computer to the ethernet output from the router, I cannot access the internet. I can only access the internet when the computer is plugged directly into the modem.

Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

For the moment you do not need to access the internet, and yes you are correct you cannot access the internet just yet. You need to set your router's Default Gateway IP address to 192.168.100.1 (which is the modem's IP address). Your modem is your gateway to the internet. The router just allows you to connect multiple computers at one time to the modem, and the router facilitates traffic from all of the devices to and from the internet through the modem. So once you get the Default Gateway set in your router, power down both the modem and the router. Then (with all the network cables plugged in properly) power on the modem, wait 30 seconds, power on the router, wait 30 seconds, and then connect your computer to the router and you should have access to the internet.

Please let me know if you have any problems/questions with this solution, and I will help as best I can.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So......I tried connecting the computer to an ethernet port on the router, and did not connect the router to the modem. When I tried to access the router by entering 192.168.1.1 on the browser, I got a password XXXXX window asking for a user name and password. What should those be?
Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.
Leave the username blank and enter admin for the password.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried that. Didn't work. Just got the same window again.
Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

If that does not work, then there are still settings other than default factory settings in your router. If you do not remember what you might have set the password XXXXX then the only thing to do at this point is to reset your router to factory defaults. Do this by pushing in the reset button on the back of the router and holding it in for about 20-25 seconds and then release it. Now you should be able to log in with blank username and admin for the password. Once you login to the router you can set your wireless back up as well as configure the default gateway as stated above.

Let me know if you need anything else. I'm here to help.

Brad M, Network Administrator
Experience: IPSEC VPN, TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, etc... Currently a network admin at a webhosting company.