Omer
Omer, Network Administrator
Experience:  Been a Network Administrator for 5 years
37817776

I am unable to join my network from my iPad

Category: Networking
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com
Can you please tell me what type of wireless router you are using?
Also if you know can you tell me what type of wireless security your router is using WEP WPA,,
And do you get any error messages when you try and connect the ipad to the wireless router?

Omer, Network Administrator
Experience: Been a Network Administrator for 5 years
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
You seem to be offline so I switched to Q&A mode please let me know the answers to these questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I have a Motorola wireless cable modem. I don't know the router security. I get a box that says "unable to join the network"
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that bit of information can you tell me the model number of the router want to make sure its the model I think it is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Model sbg6580
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
Ok on a computer that is connected to your router
Please open your internet browser
type in 192.168.0.1
click enter
You should then be prompted to login to your router
if you haven't changed the admin account
user name is admin
password XXXXX XXXXX

please let me know once you are logged into the router configuration page
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

logged in

Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
Ok click on wireless you are going to want to see what type of security it says your wireless network is set to use

Also is your wireless setup to use a password XXXXX is there no password XXXXX?

Edited by Omer Mushahwar on 11/13/2010 at 9:02 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where do I find the security?
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
Under wireless it maybe there or you may have to click on primary network to see it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WPS is under ":automatic security configuration"
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
now you should still be able to see the security method which should say wpa or wpa-2 or a couple others the ipad works best with wpa or wpa-2

If you chance automatic to disabled it should then allow you to setup the security here is where you would pick wpa or wpa-2 out of the options and set your password

if you dont want to change your security you can also setup a guest network

Edited by Omer Mushahwar on 11/13/2010 at 9:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wpa2-psk looks to be enabled
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
Can you switch it to simply WPA or simply WPA2 without the psk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the wpa1 and 2 are grayed out. only the psk's are changeable.
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
OK lets try something a little different go back to the main wireless page
This time we are going to click on Guest Network
Enable Guest Network
Name the guest network
Select the security method of WPA
For encryption use TKIP&AES
Set a password
Click apply

Now on your Ipad try connecting to this guest network
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't access the WPA. Just the WPA-PSK in the guest box
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
Ok try the psk as long as it's wpa and not wpa2
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it worked! Thank you!
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
I am glad I could help

Thanks for using just answer.com