ITCris
ITCris, System Administrator
Experience:  3 yrs experience of Small & Medium business environment.
10156100

Cant remember my user name/password for Authentication Required

Customer Question

Can't remember my user name/password XXXXX "Authentication Required" for my wireless router! Help!

Model: Wireless-G 2.4GHz, # XXXXX VER. 6

Help em!

Jill
Category: Networking
Expert:  ITCris replied 6 years ago.

ITTechQ&A :

Hello, Thank you for contacting JA, I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

ITTechQ&A :

Hello...do not know the security key to connect a PC to the router for wireless internet?

Customer:

Ok, thank. So what can we do about the user name and password XXXXX? It shows me the webbrowesers page, butsay "Connection was rest" and a "Authentication Required" box is on my screen. I'm talking to you through my desktop and looking at the laptop too.

ITTechQ&A :

Ok gotcha so the username and password XXXXX access the router was changed.

Customer:

I guess, it's been years.

ITTechQ&A :

We will have to reset the router to get it back to factory settings. That will reset the router to the default username and password.

ITTechQ&A :

Please give me a sec. while I write down the instructions on what you will need to do.

Customer:

ok, so what do I do?

Customer:

i see the reset button on the back of the router

ITTechQ&A :

Take a pen or paper clip and on the back of the router hold down the reset button for 30 seconds

Next connect to the router with a ethernet cable to setup.

Open a web browser and in the address bar type in 192.168.1.1

username: leave blank

password: admin

Once you reach the linksys configuration page, click on the wireless tab, then click wireless security.

Select WPA-Personal for security and use a phone number for your network key. I would also recommend changing the SSID to something of your choice that can be found under basic wireless.

ITTechQ&A :

The PC you are chatting wit me on is it connected to the router with a network cable?

Customer:

I'm still on Westell Broadband's page? That's my DSL modem's manufacture.

ITTechQ&A :

Your Linksys router is connected to a DSL modem?

Customer:

Umm? I think so? The phone jack's cable it connected to a battery-backup box, and that cable is connected to the modem and then to the router.

ITTechQ&A :

ok now is your PC connected to the router with network cable?

Customer:

I believe so, A blue cable runs to both the computer tower and another from the modem to the Linksys router.

ITTechQ&A :

Ok so the PC is directly connected to the router and you have reset the router.

ITTechQ&A :

If you type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit enter are you prompted for username & password?