ITCris
ITCris, System Administrator
Experience:  3 yrs experience of Small & Medium business environment.
10156100

I am trying to hook up my nook to the wi-fi hotspot at home

I am trying to hook up my nook to the wi-fi hotspot at home and it is asking for the password XXXXX the router. Everything we are putting in it tells us wrong password. How dowe find out that password XXXXX the only one we have is when we registered the netgear online when we purchased it?
Category: Networking
Expert:  ITCris replied 4 years ago.

ITTechQ&A :

Hello, Thank you for contacting JA, I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

Customer :

OK WHAT INFO DO YOU NEED?

ITTechQ&A :

What is the model number of your router?

Customer :

WNDR3300

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, the PC you currently on is it connected to the router?

Customer :

YES

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, open another session in your browser and in the address bar type in 192.168.1.1 and hit enter

ITTechQ&A :

username and password XXXXX should appear.

ITTechQ&A :

username: admin password: password

Customer :

ok

ITTechQ&A :

did you reach the netgear page?

Customer :

yes it is downloading now

ITTechQ&A :

What is downloading?

Customer :

the update to 1.45

Customer :

do I need to stop or caNCEL IT?

ITTechQ&A :

It's fine you can complete the firmware update.

ITTechQ&A :

When it's complete click on the wireless tab and you should see your security key. Use that need to connect your nook.

Customer :

is that on the left hand side under setup wireless settings?

ITTechQ&A :

Yes

Customer :

it has gone almost half way and is just setting there

ITTechQ&A :

Ok give it a few minutes.

Customer :

on the bottom bar where the green bar shows the status it is saying waiting for http://192.168.1.1/ver_download.cgi...

ITTechQ&A :

has it moved?

Customer :

no

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, refresh the page.

ITTechQ&A :

How are you making out?

Customer :

it has a completely white page with nothing on it. can I close the browser open anothr and retype the default adress in the adress bar? do I have to download the firmwarw? it isnt going anywhere?

ITTechQ&A :

yes you can close out and re-open

Customer :

ok

ITTechQ&A :

I don't believe the firmware needs to be updated at this time. Are you prompted?

Customer :

when I put the adress in the adress bar, internet explorer will not display the page

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, you will probably have to reset the router. The PC you are currently on is connected to the router with a network cable or wireless?

Customer :

cable

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, on the back of the router there is a reset button hold down with a pen or paper clip for 20seconds to reset router.

Customer :

ok held it in

ITTechQ&A :

Ok try and access the IP address.

Customer :

tried that and ddnt work internet explorer cannot acess the webpage

ITTechQ&A :

Hello

ITTechQ&A :

How old is this router?

Customer :

purchased best buy 03-10-2009

ITTechQ&A :

It seems like the configuration page not be accessible because of the firmware upgrade.

Customer :

so what do we do now?

ITTechQ&A :

It looks like it got hung up and might of messed up the page.

Customer :

can the router be reset to the factory default setting ot the firnware removed?

ITTechQ&A :

Well the reset button is what sets it to factory settings. However you have tried twice.

Customer :

I tried it once

ITTechQ&A :

Ok please try again hold the reset button down a little longer.;

Customer :

ok here goes

Customer :

ok

Customer :

what do I do now?

ITTechQ&A :

Did you get in?

Customer :

no it sent to a search on the internet.

ITTechQ&A :

you typed the IP in the address bar not the search box correct?

Customer :

hey I got n tried it again. NOW, what do I do?

ITTechQ&A :

You are at the netgear configuration page?

Customer :

yes but I am not clicking on the update this time ok?

ITTechQ&A :

Great! Click on the wireless tab on the left pane.

ITTechQ&A :

You will have to set the security and assign a security key

Customer :

ok that has the wireless settings displayed

ITTechQ&A :

Select WPA-PSK2 and use a phone number for the security key easy to remember.

ITTechQ&A :

when done save changes.

Customer :

the security option wpa-psk-[tkip] + wpa2-psk [aes] is this the one?

ITTechQ&A :

yes, sorry WPA2-PSK

Customer :

ok its done

Customer :

thank you very much

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, great if I have answered your question accepting my answer and positive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ITCris, System Administrator
Experience: 3 yrs experience of Small & Medium business environment.