Omer
Omer, Network Administrator
Experience:  Been a Network Administrator for 5 years

I have a storage disk connected to the USB port on my Linksys

I have a storage disk connected to the USB port on my Linksys wireless router. I can see the files on the disk over my network but I get an error message "access denied" whenever I try and open a file. I can get into the set-up screen for the linksys as adminstrator -- including the storage and share screen - - it shows the partition I am looking for and show admin and guests as having r/w access -- but under total space it says "file does not exist".
Category: Networking
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

Omer Mushahwar :

Can you tell me the exact model of your linksys router?

Omer, Network Administrator
Experience: Been a Network Administrator for 5 years
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
Hi you appear to be offline I switched the chat to Q&A style mode please let me know the model number of your linksys so we can continue working on your issue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
linksys WRT350N
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information

Could you tell me what format your hard drive is in both the one in the router and the one in your computer? FAT32, NTFS, ....

Sometimes you can have issues if your hardrive is in one from and your computer is in another
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

fat 32

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry, I cliiped off your question. The USB drive is fat32 and I am running standard windows 7 on my computer so I assume its files are NTFS
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
Now is this a brand new USB hard drive or is there data on it that you cant erase?

Also have you created a share folder on the drive through the linksys web interface?

Edited by Omer Mushahwar on 10/31/2010 at 4:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is an exisiting (not new) USB drive that was previously working and accessible (and remains so if I I connect it directly to a computer)

I have used the web interface to create a new share folder. I can see the partition/file hierarchy and create a share. But under "Total Space" web interface admin space it says "Not Exist" for both the old share (which used to work) and for the new share. And on my computer where I had saved a link into the USB drive it says "Location Not Available / access is denied". Other home computers on the network thar used to access the router drive have the same problem. (can delve one or two folder levels into the drive but then get access denied).

We did have power outage a few days ago and I am thinking perhaps some security setting (that I cannot find/figure out) was reset?

Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
Once you created the new share did you populate the permissions so anyone can use it with r/w one thing I found useful with my 610 was actually having it wipe the drive but i don't know if thats an option for you once the drive was reformated and shares setup it was able to work correctly again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did give r/w permissions to the share for both admin and guests.

I use the drive as a backup drive for photos and music files etc so wiping/reformatting it will be a bit of pain but maybe that is what I am done to. If I do that I gather I should reformat to an NTFS file structure.

Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
It is usually better if they match plus NTFS Formated drives seem to work a lot faster through the linksys than the FAT32 counterparts