Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

recently got Century Link DSL modem and have Netgear WGR614v7

recently got Century Link DSL modem and have Netgear WGR614v7 router. can not get dsl modem to connect with wireless router. Can only get internet if I hard wire ethernet cable into laptop What do I have to do to get wirless working?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Can you tell me the model number of the CenturyLink modem please?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
model 660
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Thank you - you can get your Netgear modem set up and working with the DSL modem this way:

Make sure you can get back to this page either by adding it to your favorites or logging into justanswer.com and clicking My Questions at the top of the page.

Power off the computer and modem. Connect the modem to the modem port of the Netgear, then one of the numbered ports to your computer. Press and hold the reset button on the back if the Netgear with a paperclip for 15 seconds, then release. Wait 60 seconds, then power off the Netgear.

Power on the modem - wait 60 seconds

Power on the Netgear - wait 60 seconds

Power on the computer

You should be back online if everything worked properly...

Open Internet Explorer and enter this address: http://www.routerlogin.net/

A login screen will appear:

Username: admin

Password: password

Click Wireless Settings on the left side of the screen. Change your Network Name (SSID) to something unique - there can't be any spaces in the name. Make this a unique name without any spaces - anything that you haven't used in the past.

Change the Security Mode to WPA-PSK and enter a password XXXXX at least 8 characters in the pre-shared key box. Save the settings.

You are done at this point and you will have a working wireless network.

If you have any questions on how to connect wirelessly, please let me know the version of Windows you are using and I can help...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, but did not work
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Strange...

How far through the process were you able to get?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did as I understood your suggestion - shut off my laptop, disconnected the ethernet cable and inserted into the router in the internet slot, Pressed the reset button on the router for 15 sec. Waited for 60 sec. Powered off the router. Powered on the modem and waited 60 secs. Powered on the router waited 60 sec and then turned on my laptop.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Okay - let's try it a different way:

Power off the computer and disconnect the modem. The only connection you will want is between the computer and the Netgear router. Press and hold the reset button on the back for 15 seconds, then release. Wait 60 seconds, then power on the computer.

Your router is now reset - open your browser and log into the router at http://www.routerlogin.net

Username: admin

Password: password

Let's set up the wireless network first:

Click Wireless Settings. Change your Network Name (SSID) to something unique - there can't be any spaces in the name.

Change the Security Mode to WPA-PSK and enter a password XXXXX at least 8 characters in the pre-shared key/passphrase box. Save the settings.

Click LAN Setup under Advanced. Change the IP address to 192.168.5.1, then save and exit the router.

Power off the router and computer and reconnect the modem.

Power on the modem- wait 60 seconds

Power on the Netgear - wait 60 seconds

Power on the computer

Is everything working now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have to go out to doctord will retry in 1 hour
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Okay - talk to you then :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry again no succeess- I powered off my laptop, disconnected the ethernet cable from the modem and connected it to the router, leaving it connected to my laptop. Pressed the router reset button for 15 sec. Then waited for 60 sec. I then reconnected the ethernet cable to the modem and removed it from my computer, leaving it connected to the router. I then turned on my computer and tried to connect to the internet (unsuccessfully). Was this correct?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

It's a little bit different than that...let's doublecheck the connections:

Use your ethernet cable and connect it to the laptop. Power off the laptop.

Connect the other end to port 3 of the Netgear. Wait 60 seconds, then power on your computer. Open Internet Explorer.

You won't have internet access right now to any address other than this one:

http://www.routerlogin.net/

Open that address, then use this information to log in:

Username: admin

Password: password

Once logged in, click Wireless Settings. Change your Network Name (SSID) to something unique - there can't be any spaces in the name.

Power off the router and disconnect the laptop. Move the cable from the back of the Netgear over to the modem port, not one of the numbered ones. Connect the other end to your modem.

Power on the modem- wait 60 seconds

Power on the Netgear - wait 60 seconds

Power on the computer

Is everything working now?

Edited by Kevin on 10/27/2010 at 3:50 AM EST
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience: Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.