Jason
Jason, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

Why does my roku keep losing connection to the internet I

Why does my roku keep losing connection to the internet? I have a Roku XR abd a Linksys WRT150N wireless router.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

Networking Extraordinaire :

What is the distance between the Roku and the Linksys router?

Customer :

They are setting next to each other.

Customer :

Networking Extraordinaire :

Did this start as soon as you switched Internet providers?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Also, do you have any wireless phones in the house?

Customer :

Pretty much. But it doesn't do it on every movie. Yes, we have 2 iphones.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok, do you have any wireless phones in the house that use a landline?

Customer :

No

Networking Extraordinaire :

ok

Networking Extraordinaire :

More often than not, this is an issue that arises when there is too much wireless interference in the area. Your new place may have a lot of wireless signals in the area that are competing for space.

Networking Extraordinaire :

What we can do is change the channel on the router, which it operates on.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Once we start doing that, it will be a matter of finding the least occupied channel (There are 11 channels in total).

Customer :

How do I do that?

Networking Extraordinaire :

On a computer that is connected to the router, perform the steps below:
- Go to http://192.168.1.1
Leave the username blank
The default password XXXXX admin
- Click the Wireless Settings link on the left side of the screen

From this page, we will be able to change the channel on which the router operates.

Networking Extraordinaire :

There will be an option and pull down menu for "Channel". By default it is set to 6.

I suggest trying channels 1 and 11 first.

After you change the channel, click the Save/Apply settings button.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Now it is a matter of finding the best channel.

Customer :

Give me aminute to do all that.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok, I will be here.

Customer :

I am in settings. The only place that says channel is set on auto and I can't change it.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Uncheck AUTO.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Then you will be able to change channels

Networking Extraordinaire :

You may also have good results if you change the Radio Band to 'Wide - 40mhz channel'

Customer :

There is a wireless mode that is set to fixed. Is that the correct setting?

Networking Extraordinaire :

What other options does it have?

Customer :

The only place I see channel is wide channel which is set on auto and normal channel which is set on auto and I have no other selections to choose from.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Change the Normal channel to 11.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Leave Wide Channel Enabled

Customer :

It doesn't give that option. There is only auto to choose from.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok, one moment please.

Networking Extraordinaire :

It doesn't allow you to choose anything?

Customer :

That is correct.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Change it to wide and channel 11.

Networking Extraordinaire :

That should let you do it.

Networking Extraordinaire :

- Click Wireless
- Click Basic Wireless Settings
- Choose MANUAL
- Change the Channel to 11.
- Click Save Settings button

Customer :

I can't change the wide channel or standard channel. They are both set on auto and there is no way to change it.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Ok, then I suggest purchase a new rouer. This one is not functioning it was meant to/

Networking Extraordinaire :

.

Customer :

Is there a specific model recommended for ROKU?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Negative. But You are better off if You purchase a Newer Linksys router. Steer clear of Dlink and Belkin.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Please, update me on your status if you have any problems or questions.

If you are satisfied with my help, please click the Accept button and I will in effect be awarded credit from this site for helping you. In any case, I wish you a great day.

Thank you // Peace.

Jason, Network Technician
Experience: Years of experience and education.