Andy Kalita
Andy Kalita, System Administrator
Experience:  MCP, MCTS, MCSA, A+, over 10 years of working IT experience
18458123

Im trying to add another computer to my netgear wireless router.

I'm trying to add another computer to my netgear wireless router. My desktop and a laptop have been working with no problems. I bought a new Toshiba laptop yesterday and cannot get it to connect. When I click on connect to wireless network, netgear comes up but when I click on connect it tells me unable to connect to netgear. Reason is unknown.

Don Striplin
Category: Networking
Expert:  Andy Kalita replied 4 years ago.

Andy Kalita :

hi I can help you with this

Andy Kalita :

this Toshiba laptop you've purchased, does it have Windows 7 installed?

Andy Kalita :

do you know what type of wireless security you have on your router (WEP, WPA)?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

wep

Andy Kalita :

ok, there may be your issue. Windows 7 is notorious for being picky and pokey when it comes to wireless security

Andy Kalita :

specifically WEP

Andy Kalita :

i suggest we change this to WPA-PSK/WPA-Personal, which is more secure and more widely compatible

Andy Kalita :

if you're ok with it, we can proceed

Customer :

ok

Andy Kalita :

cool, what is the model of your netgear router?

Customer :

wgr614

Andy Kalita :

ok, now on the computer that's connected to this router (wirelessly or via ethernet cable), open Internet Explorer window

Andy Kalita :

into the address field type www.routerlogin.net and hit Enter

Andy Kalita :

when prompted, enter "admin" for username and "password" for password (without quotation marks)

Customer :

rightnow i'm on the new laptop,do i need to get on my desktop?

Andy Kalita :

you're talking to me from the new laptop? I thought you weren't able to connect from it?

Customer :

I have my dsl cable hooked to it

Andy Kalita :

ah, ok, that's fine, you can do the steps from this laptop then. Just open new IE window for that

Andy Kalita :

let me know when you've logged into the router successfully and can see Netgear page

Customer :

walk me through that

Andy Kalita :

ok, open new Internet Explorer window

Andy Kalita :

then into the address field, type www.routerlogin.net and hit Enter

Customer :

i got that

Andy Kalita :

ok, now, when you're prompted to enter username/password

Andy Kalita :

enter admin for username and password XXXXX password

Andy Kalita :

then click Ok

Customer :

ok

Andy Kalita :

now, click on Wireless Settings on the left

Andy Kalita :

then on the right, in the Security Options section, select WPA-PSK as your mode of wireless security

Andy Kalita :

below that, enter desired passphrase, between 8 and 63 characters long

Andy Kalita :

when done, click Apply Changes. Now, the router will restart, and when it comes back up, you'll be asked to provide the passphrase to connect to wireless, so enter one you just created

Andy Kalita :

if you're not prompted, then disconnect from wireless, then reconnect again and enter passphrase when prompted

Customer :

it's asking mefor the router model number

Andy Kalita :

hmm, this should not be required. Is it asking you this, before you clicked on Wireless Settings on the left, or after?

Customer :

there is no wireless settings

Andy Kalita :

ok, let's back track a bit

Andy Kalita :

after you enter username/password, then clicked Ok, what was the next thing that happened

Andy Kalita :

were you able to see the Netgear page?

Customer :

i better start over i'm sorry

Andy Kalita :

not a problem, no rush here

Andy Kalita :

sorry for the information avalanche :-)

Andy Kalita :

so you're trying to log in again, at www.routerlogin.net

Andy Kalita :

?

Customer :

It doesn't ask for user name and password

Andy Kalita :

ok, so when you go to www.routerlogin.net what do you see?

Customer :

a netgear site that says find your product

Andy Kalita :

oh, ok

Andy Kalita :

in this case, instead of www.routerlogin.net, into same field, type 192.168.0.1 and hit Enter

Customer :

its asking for model #

Andy Kalita :

it sounds like the router may have lost it's configuration... who is your internet service provider?

Customer :

IE

Andy Kalita :

i mean who do you pay to provide you with internet access (att, comcast, charter, etc.)?

Customer :

our local cable company thru our electric department

Andy Kalita :

ok, good

Andy Kalita :

cable is the most straight forward when it comes to router configuration

Andy Kalita :

I suggest that we reset your router and then reconfigure it

Andy Kalita :

when the router resets, you really can start using it immediately, without any configuration, but we will need to configure the wireless security

Andy Kalita :

give me a few minutes while I put together a step by step for you, and you can look it over and ask me any questions you may have about it

Customer :

I took my cable out of the router and plugged it to the laptop. should i hook everything back like normal then talk to you from my desktop?

Andy Kalita :

you will need to plug the cable modem back into the router. then any computers connecting via ethernet cable need to be connecting to the router itself, not the cable modem. But it's in the steps that I'm about to publish here

Andy Kalita :

Ok, please follow the following steps to set up the router:

1. Make sure your router is turned ON
  2. While it's ON, press and hold the reset button on the back of it (you'll have to use paper clip or something similar for that) for about 15 seconds
  3. Release the button, wait a minute for router to come online and then turn it off
  4. Turn your cable modem off
  5. Make sure you have ethernet cable with one end connected to cable modem and the other end connected to Internet/WAN port (usually separated from other 4 ports, and usually yellow) on the back of the router
  6. Turn the cable modem on and give it a couple of minutes to come online completely
  7. Turn the router on and give it a minute to boot up
  8. Your computers connected to the router via Ethernet should be able to browse the internet now
  9. Now, try connecting to wireless with your wireless-enabled computer/laptop - you should now see "unsecured" Netgear wireless network - this is your network
  10. Once connected, open Internet Explorer and navigate to www.routerlogin.net (enter this in Address field and hit Enter)
  11. When prompted, enter "admin" for username and “password” for password (without quotation marks), then click OK
  12. Once in, click on Wireless Settings menu/tab/link on the left
  13. Now, on the right, note Security Options section
  14. In that section, select WPA-PSK (it may also be called WPA-Personal or WPA-Pre-Shared key).
  15. Down below that enter your desired passphrase (between 8 and 63 characters)
  16. Click Save Settings/Apply Changes
  17. You will shortly be prompted to enter your passphrase on your laptop - if not, disconnect from wireless, then re-connect
  18. When prompted, enter the passhprase you created

If this answer was helpful to you, please click Accept

Customer :

can you email this to me? ican't print off this laptop

Andy Kalita :

unfortunately the email communication is not allowed per JA policy. But you can highlight the steps, the right click on the highlighting and click Copy. Then open copy of the MS Word, or Notepad, and go to Edit menu at the top, and click Paste. Or right click anywhere in the MS Word or Notepad and click Paste

Andy Kalita :

this shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes. Do you have any questions to me in the meanwhile?

Andy Kalita :

Ok, i'll be away from computer for next 25-30 minutes, but will check back on this chat when I come back

Andy Kalita :

if the steps were helpful to you, please click Accept

Andy Kalita, System Administrator
Experience: MCP, MCTS, MCSA, A+, over 10 years of working IT experience