Mike, Mac and Network Consultant
Experience:  Member Apple Consultants Network, Apple Certified

I am trying to set up a wireless music network (Sonos). My

Customer Question

I am trying to set up a wireless music network (Sonos). My desktop PC (Dell with Vista OS) has the music folders that Sonos needs to connect to. The Sonos controller software (on same machine) has to select folders to share. The music folder is not accessible from the Sonos software. When I try to access it the response is 'The computer EDMITCHELLSPC is not responding'. Additionally if I try to view the same folder from my Laptop which is connected to the same wireless network (Sony VAIO with Vista Business) I get the following error 'Error 0x80070005 access is denied'. The desktop PC has Kaspersky Pure antivirus/internet security software, but as far as I can tell is configured correctly for Sonos for TCP/UDP access.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Mike :

Hi- One thought I'm having is that you may be blocking the UnP ports on your Kaspersky Firewall. Try disabling the Firewall first. If it works, then we can go deeper into configuring the specific ports needed.

JACUSTOMER-5mygtjw4- :

JACUSTOMER-5mygtjw4- :

Thanks for the answer, I have tried disabling the Kaspersky Firewall but this does not alter the problem of the files being in accessible. I think the issue is one of accessibility in Vista, as the folder is always inaccessible, and confusingly this is even the case if I explore the network from the actual machine and try to access it! Any other suggestions? So far as I am aware the uPnP ports are configured correctly for this. Incidentally I just changed the router for a replacement Type N one, still Netgear though.

Mike :

You do have to make sure that the folders you want to share with Sonos are checked for File Sharing. You also need to make sure that Sonos has the correct userid/password XXXXX the owner of the folder being shared. If you have more than one system on your network, check the Networking Panel to see if the folders you want to share with Sonos are showing up.

Mike :

Also, check the permissions of the shared folder to make sure that others have read permission rights. If you right-clock on the folder and select properties you will be able to check that.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike - thanks again, I will check this in an hour or so - currently still in the office but heading home shortly. I think the username/password XXXXX could be the problem.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK - Please let me know when you can.