Bob
Bob, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CompTIA Network+ and A+ certified,Currently studying final module of MCSA coursework.
24045263

the wireless light is flashing, cannot conect with my pri

Customer Question

the "wireless light is flashing, cannot conect with my printer-help
Category: Networking
Expert:  Abhishek S replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Abhishek S :

Hi

Abhishek S :

Can you brief me the problem you are facing?

Abhishek S :

Can you tell the printer name ?

Customer :

I have a new router, connected to computer, "wireless light on - flashing- will not communicate with printer HP officejet 6410J

Abhishek S :

did you install the software CD of the printer in the computer ?

Abhishek S :

did you make configuration changes for the printer to detect your computer

Customer :

i installed printer CD onto computer

Customer :

i did not make any configuration changes for the printer to detect computer. I dont know how!!

Abhishek S :

Were you previously using the printer with USB or Ethernet connection ?

Customer :

i was using printer with Ethernet connection

Abhishek S :

ok

Abhishek S :

can you connect the ethernet back and verify if it is working now

Abhishek S :

Change from an EthernetconnectionUse the following instructions to change from anEthernet connection to a wireless connection.NOTE: For Ethernet-enabled HP devices only1. Open the embedded Web server (EWS). For moreinformation on the EWS, see the electronic UserGuide available on your computer after you installthe software.2. Click the Networking tab, and then click Wireless(802.11) in the left pane.3. On the Wireless Setup tab, press Start Wizard.4. Follow the onscreen instructions to change from anEthernet connection to a wireless connection.5. After you finish changing the settings, disconnect theEthernet cable.

Abhishek S :

can u try these steps ?

Customer :

sorry! i misunderstood. the printer is only wireless, there is no port for a cable

Abhishek S :

if the printer has no port for cable, how did you use it with ethernet cable ?

Customer :

that was my misunderstanding. The printer as i understand Wireless only

Abhishek S :

ok.. so the scenario was like the printer was wireless printer and you were using it wireless on ur computer. Suddenly, it doesn't work wirelessly....am I right ?

Abhishek S :

Can u provide me ur email address ? I will email you the troubleshooting document of this printer.

Customer :

thats correct. It started when i had to have a new router, i have access to google and email, the computer wont connect with printer

Abhishek S :

Without router, is ur computer and printer communicating ?

Customer :

no

Abhishek S :

1. Make sure the wireless (802.11) light is turned onIf the blue light near the HP device’s control panel is notlit, wireless capabilities might not have been turned on.To turn on wireless, press the wireless button (locatednear the wireless light) once to turn on wirelesscapabilities. Or press the Setup ( ) button on theHP device’s control panel, select Network, selectWireless Radio, and then select On.

Abhishek S :

2. Restart components of the wireless networkTurn off the router and the HP device, and then turnthem back on in this order: router first, and then theHP device. If you still are unable to connect, turn offthe router, HP device, and your computer, and thenturn them back on in this order: router first, then theHP device, and finally the computer. Sometimes, turningoff the power and then turning it back on will recover anetwork communication issue.

Abhishek S :

3. Run the Wireless Network TestFor wireless networking issues, run the WirelessNetwork Test from the HP device control panel:

Customer :

will do

Abhishek S :

HP Officejet J4680All-in-One seriesa. On the HP device’s controlpanel, press the Setup( ) button.b. Select Network Setup,select Print NetworkSettings, select WirelessTest Report, and thenpress OK.

Abhishek S :

HP Officejet J6400All-in-One seriesa. On the HP device’s controlpanel, press the Setup( ) button.b. Select Print Report, andthen select Wireless Test.

Abhishek S :

If a problem is detected, the printed test report willinclude recommendations that might help solve theproblem.

Customer :

i have turned off router, printer and computer and turned back on as you advised

Customer :

printed network test report, - HP printer cannot find router, report says check printer network name(SSID) matches wireless router, how do i do this

Customer :

wireless light is still flashing

Abhishek S :

a. On the HP device’s controlpanel, press the Setup ( )button.

Abhishek S :

b. Select Tools, select NetworkSetup, and then select RestoreNetwork Defaults.

Customer :

have done that, seems no progress

Abhishek S :

I think the problem is that the router and the printer have different SSID

Customer :

how can i check this

Abhishek S :

can you navigate to the router device setup in your computer ?

Abhishek S :

you should find it where you have the wireless network card icons appear in Network Connnections under Control Panel

Customer :

found that

Customer :

local area connection connected - firewall broadcom netxtreme 57xxgig

Abhishek S :

ok...right click on the router and select Properties

Abhishek S :

only these two ... Show up ?

Abhishek S :

is the firewall Broadcomm your router ?

Customer :

i have found properties i dont think firewall broadband is router

Abhishek S :

Once the property window opens, can you navigate to the Wireless Networks Tab

Abhishek S :

There you should find something listed in a box. Please select it and click on Properties Button

Customer :

i cannot find wireless network tab

Abhishek S :

I have understood your issue .. The Issue is that the router is having different SSID and printer is having different SSID

Abhishek S :

so both are not looking for each other

Abhishek S :

Setting up SSID should be done by the technicians of the devices.

Abhishek S :

I am not sure of the SSID setting.

Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello
Thank you for using JustAnswer.My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help with your question.
The link below is to HP's support and troubleshooting page for your device.If you click on the "Setup Poster" link,scroll down to section 8,and you will see where the Ethernet port is on the rear of the printer,close to the power cord,covered with a yellow plug.Below that are the connections for a phone line,for your fax function.
Try connecting an ethernet cable from the printer to the router,then router to computer,and see if you can get the printer to install and work with your computer.Then,after it has been recognized,you can move on to setting it up for a wireless connection.That is at the second link.
Let me know if you have questions?
Bob
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01325472.pdf

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01441037.pdf