ITCris
ITCris, System Administrator
Experience:  3 yrs experience of Small & Medium business environment.
10156100

is the security key the same as a password

is the security key the same as a password? I told it to let my Tivo pck it's own IP and it worked, but than it said the netwok cable was unplugged. Have I set it up incorrectly?

I don't have texting. Send by email
Category: Networking
Expert:  ITCris replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
ITTechQ&A :

Hello, Thank you for contacting JA, I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

ITTechQ&A :

Hello...the password XXXXX Tivo is look for should be the network key on the router. Which allows devices to connect to the router for wireless internet.

Customer :

I found that out. Now I am finding I set up my router incorrectly and am troubleshooting.

ITTechQ&A :

Do you need assistance setting up the router?

Customer :

yes

ITTechQ&A :

ok what model router do you have?

Customer :

linksys E1000

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, is the computer you are on now connected to the router directly using a network cable?

Customer :

my Tivo said it was unplugged to the internet when I tried to connect. It accepted everything else

Customer :

yes

Customer :

oops, how do I tell?

ITTechQ&A :

Ok when you setup the Tivo did you join your network?

Customer :

I will restart the cd and do it over again and let you know.

ITTechQ&A :

When you are trying to get the Tivo on the internet is wireless?

Customer :

does the cable connected to the inter net on the router go into the slot for the ethernet on the router?

Customer :

I meant modem

Customer :

the tivo has a g router to connect to my linksys

Customer :

my linksys router gives error 82BD0100

Customer :

how do I join a network. I thought my network was set up.

ITTechQ&A :

Did it prompt you for the network key? Also what type of security do you have on the printer WEP or WPA?

Customer :

No

ITTechQ&A :

you have to connect devices to the router they don't just join automatically then one can gain access to router.

Customer :

I have wpa

Customer :

My tivo is in another room and is connected by a g router

Customer :

It recognized my linksys router

Customer :

My laptop is in another room as well. How do I have it recognize my router

ITTechQ&A :

What security is your router using WEP or WPA?

Customer :

WPA

ITTechQ&A :

Change it WEP from past experience its to my understanding that Tivo does not work with WPA security only WEP

Customer :

hOW DO i CHANGE IT?

ITTechQ&A :

open another session on your browser and type in 192.168.1.1

ITTechQ&A :

username : leave blank password: admin

ITTechQ&A :

let me know when you reach the linksys page

ITTechQ&A :

Once you get to the linksys page, click on wireless tab and the wireless security change the security to WEP and put in create you network key.

ITTechQ&A :

I have to step out for a few but will be right back and will continue to assist you..

Customer :

GOT A 404 DIAGNOSTIC ERROR

Customer :

i HAVE THE LINKSYS SITE

Customer :

iT SAYS THAT I HAVE TWO DEVISES CONNECTED TO THE ROUTER

Customer :

THE DEVICES JUST DON'T KNOW IT

ITCris, System Administrator
Experience: 3 yrs experience of Small & Medium business environment.