Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

I have 10 linksys spa 942 ip phones. the it guy went awol

Customer Question

I have 10 linksys spa 942 ip phones. the it guy went awol and did not give us the admin password. How can I reset to factory settings?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Networking Extraordinaire :

Good day.
The full user guide can be found here: http://www.inphonex.com/download/spa942-ug.pdf
Page 15 describes how to reset to defaults, I believe. Having the manual on hand will help you greatly.

If you are satisfied with my help, please click the Accept button and I will in effect be awarded credit from this site for helping you. In any case, I wish you a great day.

Thank you // Peace.

JACUSTOMER-m20n5ola- :

This did not work. The network password XXXXX not reset so I am still stuck

Networking Extraordinaire :

Turn the phone on, after pressing menu on the phone immediately press 14 and then OK. It may allow you to reset the password XXXXX

Networking Extraordinaire :

If that does not work, there is one more thing to try; however, the instructions are quite complicated for some people. It requires setting up a DNS & TFTP server.

JACUSTOMER-m20n5ola- :

Ok we will try the quick reset. Can we get the more difficult way as a fall back?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Yes

Networking Extraordinaire :

Are you familiar with setting up DHCP, DNS, & TFTP Servers?

Networking Extraordinaire :

* -- Create a Windows 2003 server with DNS and DHCP enabled
* -- Download and install a version of TFTP, configured it and pointed to to a directory.
* -- Add a "bootp" (option 66) to DHCP and point the "TFTP" server to this server by name.
* -- On the Server, enabled detailed logging for DNS and cleared the cache.
* -- Using a network switch (but not connected to any other network) attach the phone and the server.
* -- After attaching the phone and waiting, examine the DNS log to see what names the phone is looking for.
* -- Then added those names to DNS and pointed it to the server's IP address.
* -- Power cycle the phone and watch the logging for the TFTP service.
* -- At that point you can see what config files the phone is looking for.
* -- Create a flat config file with the administrator password XXXXX to something like "1234"

The contents looked like:

<flat-profile>

<Admin_Passwd group="System/System_Configuration">1234</Admin_Passwd>

</flat-profile>

* -- Again power cycle the phone. It will then find and load that password XXXXX we are now able to go to the phone and do a "Factory Reset" using that new password.
* -- The phone is now back to the factor state, we were able to upgrade the firmware and deploy the phone

Hopefully, they are setup for tFTP, if not, you will have to install IIS and configure it with the correct name and point to the correct directory.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Please, keep me updated on your status.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Thank you // Peace.