Networking101
Networking101, System Administrator
Experience:  A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCT, MCTS

how can i find my ssid number. im seting up a wireless printer

how can i find my ssid number. im seting up a wireless printer workforce 520/525 series. and it is asking for my ssid number and pass workd and i have no clue what that is help??
Category: Networking
Expert:  Networking101 replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Networking101 :

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer!

Networking101 :

Let me know when you are ready and we can check out your SSID and password!

Customer :

im ready

Networking101 :

OK..the SSID is the "name" of your wireless router....did you set up your router yourself?

Customer :

i just bought the computer and was following the guide. once i got to that answer i stoped.

Customer :

sorry i bought the printer. work force 520/525 series

Networking101 :

no problem at all....you do have a wireless router that gets you on the internet correct?

Customer :

yes criket

Networking101 :

OK..great...the cricket wirless has a "name" associated with it and a password.

Networking101 :

when you set up the router to get you online, you gave the router a name..that name is XXXXX XXXXX SSID...

Customer :

well when i log on i just clic on the icon and it takes me derectly there and then i just press conect. I do not have to enter any pass word or anything.

Customer :

when i got the modem i got is and i just pluged it in and it instaled it self. I do not remember giving it a name or pass word.

Networking101 :

OK..no problem...then let me check the default name for it....on your computer, open up internet explorer (or any web browser)...at the top, where you put the address where you want to go, type in 192.168.1.1 and hit enter.

Networking101 :

this will take you to the wireless setup..

Customer :

up were the http is?

Networking101 :

yup...exactly! also, what is the model number of the cricket router?

Customer :

i think is XXXXXXXXXX /p>

Networking101 :

After you typed in the 192.168.1.1 did you see a screen asking for a username and password?

Customer :

no it send me to a web results

Networking101 :

make sure when you type in the 192.168.1.1 there is nothing else up there....you dont need the http: or the www.

Customer :

Ok i put that in but the computer puts the http infront of it. Then it took me to google search.

Networking101 :

hmm...ok..no problem....follow this link which will walk you through an online troubleshooting for the 520...I'm gonna hang on and you let me know what happens ok???

Customer :

Ok it that took me to the epson web site

Networking101 :

good...that is going to help you see why the printer cant see your wireless router if we need to go that way. When you are installing the printer and it ask you for the name, does it give you the option to "search" for a wireless connection?

Customer :

do you whant me to try to instal the printer?

Customer :

i went throught the questions on the trubleshooting guide and it is asking me to email support.

Networking101 :

not just yet....on your machine with the modem attached, look in the lower right corner (next to the clock). You should see an icon that may look like 4 little bars, or maybe a radio antenna...when you put your mouse over top of it, you will see a little yellow bubble pop up..the name of your router (modem) should be in there)

Networking101 :

The name may even be Cricket

Networking101 :

it will say something like "Cricket - Internet Access"

Networking101 :

still with me? :)

Customer :

ok what i have on over by my clock is a green Bubble with the Kricket K Sent:

Customer :

Sorry; It said Conected sent(NNN) NNN-NNNNReceived(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Networking101 :

great...so the "SSID" is Kricket.....when you were running the EpsonNet Setup software, did it find a wireless connection called Kricket?

Customer :

No

Networking101 :

OK...so when it got to the point of looking for wireless connections, it couldn't find any?

Customer :

This information is stored in your network's router or access point and you may be able to access it by logging onto the router or access point from your computer and checking its setup screens. See the instruction manual for your router or access point for details. If you are unable to access the information, contact the person who set up your network or the manufacturer of your router or access point for details. (Epson will not be able to provide this information to you.) You'll need to know the SSID and if security is enabled, the wireless network password XXXXX you set up the printer.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]Note:
The SSID and security key or passphrase are case sensitive. Be sure to correctly note uppercase, lowercase, and numeric/special letters.

The printer supports the following wireless security modes: WEP (64/128bit), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), and WPA2.
Customer :

i went back to the trubleshoot and this is what it gave me. dose this help?

Customer :

well it did find some but i do not have the pass word for it.

Networking101 :

What it is saying is that the wireless access point (your modem) MAY have a different name and a password XXXXX keep people from using it without your permission. If you just plugged the modem in and did not give it a name, it should just go past the screen without prompting for a password...

Networking101 :

I'm starting to wonder if the printer is compatable with that wireless modem....I'm checking on that now..

Networking101 :

is Cricket also your phone provider?

Customer :

no just internet

Networking101 :

OK...we have got to get into the modem....so when you typed in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar at the top it took you to google?

Customer :

yes

Networking101 :

OK...lets run the EpsonNet setup again. Insert the EpsonNet Setup Cd and install it....

Customer :

there is a place were i go to get my info. for the modem

Customer :

ok

Networking101 :

yeah, the 192.168.1.1 should give you the name of your modem..but it is taking you to google for some reason..

Customer :

ok it is asking to install

Networking101 :

let go ahead and do that...

Customer :

ok it asks for select your connection

Networking101 :

ok...what options does it give?

Customer :

Wireless connection - direct usb connection - wired network connection

Networking101 :

select wireless connection

Customer :

Ok network set up - set up printer for the first time

Networking101 :

lets do that...

Customer :

Ok Now Select a wireless network set up method - Temporarily connect usb cable ( Recommended method) or select setting using printer buttons ( Choose only if you do not have a usb cable available) I have one

Networking101 :

do a temporary connect usb cable

Customer :

Know your wireless network - Make sure you know your network name (SSID) and password XXXXX you click next

Networking101 :

no problem...click next

Customer :

software installation driver and utilites instaling

Networking101 :

good job...we're making it..

Customer :

proactive defense pop up riskware; hidden install - Deny - skip- add to trusted zone

Networking101 :

click add to trusted zone...

Customer :

object will not be scanned if the following conditions are met:

Customer :

Object d:\common\EpsonNet printer]enpe.exe

Networking101 :

that's ok..

Customer :

im going to say ok what do you think?

Networking101 :

yup...say OK

Networking101 :

that is just your anti virus warning you that something is getting installed...

Customer :

ok some thing is happening with my computer. like it is reading the disc

Networking101 :

good...it should be installing the software for the printer and setting up the connection.

Customer :

ok now i have to plug a usb cable into the coputer and epson printer make ssure your equipment is turned on ( it is on)

Networking101 :

ok..lets do that!

Customer :

click next to start network installation then follow the on-Screen instructions.

Networking101 :

ok..lets do that...

Customer :

r u there?

Customer :

Firewall Warning

Networking101 :

yeah. I'm here....

Networking101 :

that's OK, just let it install...ignore the firewall warning..

Customer :

Firewall or anti-Spyware software may display alert dialogs related to the installation if a fire wall massage appears clik unblock or allow let epsonnet setup continue. next

Networking101 :

yup...click next..and if you get any anti virus warnings just click unblock or allow...

Networking101 :

you may get a few firewall warnings..thats completely normal...just allow the program to continue...

Customer :

We are at Wireless network name (SSID) select or enter the name (SSID) of your wireless network, router/access point it is giving me four ssid's

Networking101 :

ok..what are the SSID's

Customer :

2WIRE907 - lpastor27 - linksys - CRAWNET ( they all have infastructure next to it under Communication mode) It also has a box for Enter Manually opption

Networking101 :

ok..this is where we need the name of your router...we need to keep this screen up, but I need you to go down and click on START

Networking101 :

in the little box above START, type "cmd" (without the quotes) and hit ENTER

Networking101 :

This will give you a little black box on the screen

Customer :

Ok i went to start but were do i type the CMD?

Networking101 :

there is a little box above the word START..you can type in that box...

Customer :

is the the command promt?

Networking101 :

yup!

Networking101 :

ok, now in that little black box, I want you to type "ipconfig" (again without the quotes)

Customer :

ok that gets me the black box what should i type in there?

Networking101 :

type in "ipconfig" (without the quotes again)

Networking101 :

look for a line that says "default gateway" and let me know the numbers beside it....it will be something like 123.456.789.123

Customer :

ok 10.96.89.160

Networking101 :

perfect! OK...back to the setup of the printer. We want to select to "set up manually" (you can close this little black box)

Customer :

OK :)

Customer :

ok you want me to select Enter Manually?

Networking101 :

under the manual setup it may ask for the SSID, type in 10.96.89.160

Networking101 :

yes please

Customer :

ok now it has Passwoord: Existing or None

Networking101 :

set it to none

Customer :

ok it is confirming if the printer is properly connected to the network plase wait this may take up to 5 minutes. Crossing my fingers :)

Networking101 :

same here! :)

Customer :

O no an error occured during setup; see the report click back or try again

No wireless networks (SSID) found.

Confirm that the router/access point is turned on

and the wireless LAN is set up correctly.

The network (SSID) set to the printer:10.96.89.160

1. Check the following:

- The wireless router/access point is turned on

- The correct network (SSID) is selected/entered to the printer

2. Click "Back".

3. Follow the on-screen instructions to recheck the connection.

Networking101 :

OK...who is your internet provider?

Customer :

cricket

Networking101 :

ok, so they provide the internet too as well as the modem that you have..

Customer :

yes i bought the modem A600 (it is a dial up) MDN(NNN) NNN-NNNN MID(NNN) NNN-NNNNthis is what i have to give them when i pay

Networking101 :

what they have done is name that modem something that does broadcast it's name. We will have to get them on the phone and ask them what the modem name is XXXXX XXXXX can type it in manually. It also could have been any of the 4 we were looking at. When we tried to connect directly to it, the pritner wont see it. Do you ahve a tech support number for them?

Networking101 :

I would suggest you hit the back button and let it stay on the screen where it gives you the list of the SSID's. Give them a call and see if it is one of them.

Customer :

ok im on it

Networking101 :

cool..just let them know you are trying to connect a wireless printer to the wireless modem and just need to know the SSID.

Networking101 :

If I had to guess, I would say it is the linksys...but I'm not 100 percent sure..

Customer :

he is telling me that he cant cant give me that info

Networking101 :

why?

Networking101 :

does he know you just need it to print wireless?

Customer :

they do not provied that they do not have that information

Networking101 :

they don't allow for wireless printing....

Customer :

no they only alow you to connect to the internet. What a bummer.

Networking101 :

If he said they dont have it, did he tell you how you could get it?

Networking101 :

yeah it is...

Customer :

they are full of it. should i try conecting with another rep.?

Networking101 :

so they allow you to use their wirelss signal to connect to the internet, but not to any wireless device....

Networking101 :

we have a company here that does the same thing....they are called frawg...

Customer :

That is what they do

Networking101 :

they basically use cell towers (just like your phone) to allow you to connect wireless...they really aren't a true "wireless" company...

Networking101 :

yup..that's what they do...sorry.... :(

Customer :

Well this is the hard way to find out. After all this kicked my butt :) i think all of my brain cells are burned :(

Networking101 :

I agree! I was starting to think I lost my touch! :)

Customer :

Not at all well! You are very profesional and help me out and thanks for the pations

Networking101 :

no problem...thanks for being so patient!

Customer :

Well have to get back to work. Now i know were to go when i need help with my comp. Thanks have a good day.

Networking101 :

you too!

Customer :

so i just hit accept now?

Networking101 :

that is totally up to you...accept pays me, but ONLY hit accept if you were satisfied!

Networking101 :

since your problem wasn't fixed (actually we found out there was no "fix!") it depends on if you look at what we did a solution...if it was a solution, then you accept, if not, don't....

Customer :

I look at it as a solution that cricket is junk :) Till next time have a good day

Networking101 :

you too!! heh hhe!

Networking101, System Administrator
Experience: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCT, MCTS