D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience:  5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)
19897260

hi, unable to get access to 192.168.2.1 home page, but can

hi, unable to get access to 192.168.2.1 home page, but can connect with everything else.
Category: Networking
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a member of the expert community here..

I assume you are trying to access your routers login page?

If so, could you relay to me the name brand and model of your router...

Also,, could you run one quick command..

Click start, notice that below "all programs", theres a small text box that says

"search programs and files"

In that text box type in, command ( dont hit enter, just type it iin)

on the left side of the screen.. You will see command prompt pop up as a choice.

right click on command prompt, and left click on run as admin..

then type in ipconfig

and hit enter.. what number do you get for default gateway?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dustin, yep, I'm trying to access the routers login page. Brand is Belkin N+ model number f5d8635-4 v1. default gateway is 192.168.2.1
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, exactly what happens when you click on the link below

192.168.2.1

does it ask you for a username and password?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I get the Modem-Setup Router page, which is to be expected. I then click on the Connect button I'm asked to enter my password. I type in my password XXXXX hit the submit button. it moves to a url of http://192.168.2.1/connect.cgi but eventually finishes at a browser error page.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Aha..

Question.. Are you using the default username and password.?

Or have you changed it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've changed the password
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. what browser are you using to try and connect?

also.. what antivirus are you using..?

To start with, id like to try and reset your browser. ( internet explorer)

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

( the windows key is two keys to the left of your spacebar)

type in inetcpl.cpl hit enter.

then on the options screen that comes up, click advanced, then click reset under reset settings, then click reset again..

then when it finishes.. close and reopen internet explorer..

now try to access the router again.. If that wont work.

Try disabling your antivirus software and firewall, it could be blocking the connection..

If it still wont work.. We may need to reset the router..

If you turn the netgear around, on the back, there is a reset button..

you will need to press the reset button in and hold it firmly for a minute..

Hold it down till all the lights flash at once then go out

Then, unplug the router and plug it back in

Now try to access the router again, but you will need to use the default username and password.. the defaults are.. leave them both blank and hit enter..

Will this allow you inside the router?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I should have said earlier that I have already tried to reset the router, returned it to factory defaults and then reconfigured it. It configures via a CDROM based utility initially. Then, when I type in 192.168.2.1 I get either a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error or allows the password XXXXX but then defaults to the same IE cannot display message. Although I can access the internet, as I'm doing now. So, I'm unsure why I can't access or login to the router. Also, I'm using Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. Lets try resetting internet explorer..

And see if that allows you to access the router..

type in inetcpl.cpl hit enter.

now, connect directly to the router via an ethernet cable.. And try to access the router via

192.168.2.1

will it let you in this time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Appreciate the quick responses, great stuff! No, that hasn't worked either. After resetting internet explorer and typing in 192.168.2.1 it actually display Google search results about the 192.168.2.1 ip address. I'm currently connected with an ethernet cable to the router because that is the only way you can configure it initially.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.

it displayed google search results??

Could you try this ..

type in cmd and hit enter

type in exactly

ping 192.168.2.1

what do we get?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
4 reply messages, each on separate lines indicating 32 bytes of data, less than 1ms and no packet loss. i.e. 4 successes
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
ok.. that makes sense..

could you test something for me..

download the following program..

Click the link below

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html

On the page that comes up, click on the green download link to download the Firefox install file..

Once downloaded, Run the file to Install firefox.. Then..

Once installed, Run mozilla firefox..

inside mozilla firefox,, click this link

192.168.2.1

will mozill let you inside the router successfully?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, in Firefox I'm getting quite a different error altogether. A message "Unable to connect Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.2.1." is displayed.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
ok.. that is pointing towards it being a firewall error..

Lets do the following.. And see what happens.

1. Click Start Orb
2. Select Control Panel
3. Click Security
4. Select the Firewall option

vista_firewall.gif

5. Select either off
6. Click OK to finish

Now using firefox,, try to access 192.168.2.1 again

will it go in, or do we get an error?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately I'm still getting the same Firefox error. I have turned off both firewall and Security Essentials.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, lets try this./.

turn the router off.. now, connect the computer to a different port on the back of the router.. then turn the router back on..

Try again to access 192.168.2.1 will it work now?

If not, we may be having an ip address conflict between the modem and the router,, let me know what happens though with our latest attempt!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I turn off the router, I'll lose the connection to this thread. How do I come back on to this and reconnect to you? Sorry, I've not used this service before, so a little amateur question, I'm sure ;-)
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Thats ok.. We get that question a lot, and i dont blame you for asking.. i wouldnt want to pay twice either!!

To get back to me.. Either save the link below

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3ynnu-hi-unable-to-get-access-to-192-168-2-1-home-page-but-can

and then click the link, and then login to your justanswer account using the username and password XXXXX created when you set the account up..

Or,,

go to justanswer.com

login, then click my questions, and you should see this question..

I will be online and standing by! good luck....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, OK. So restarting the router allowed me to get to the home page by when I click on the Submit button to login to the router, I got the "Cannot display..." in IE and "Unable to connect..." in Firefox error messages.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. what are you using for your routers username and password?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

With this router, no username is XXXXX XXXXX just a password. By default it ships with no password. However, I've changed the password XXXXX a alpha/numeric combination.

graphic

Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Right.. It maybe that your password XXXXX XXXXX or maybe it defaulted back to nothing again..

try leaving the password XXXXX and then hittig enter.. will it let you in?

If not, we need to do a factory reset on the router..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried a blank password XXXXX it came up with a login error message. I tried my usual password XXXXX it looked like it was about to accept it and then bombed out again. Maybe another factor reset will work, but it didn't previously. However, happy to try again. It will take me a few hours though. I need to put my boys to bed and then I can turn back around to this. Is that OK for your from a time perspective?

Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Sure is.. I actually need to make some breakfast for my flock.. So..

Send me a message when your back on.. And I should be able to reply in short order..As, its morning time for me.. And I will be online most of the day..

speak to you soon!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks mate!
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Been a while since I heard from you..

just letting you know that any time you want to continue, Im online to assist!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Many apologies for the delay in getting back to you...the night did not go as planned. However, I did get to reset the router to factory defaults. I don't have a password XXXXX at the moment - left as the default blank. I was able to get into the router interface for approximately 3-4 minutes, at which time it refreshed automatically and returned to the "...unable to display page" message. And I'm locked out again. I did notice that the router has not been able to update it's time properly and is showing as 1 January 2000. Not too sure if that means anything.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Yes.. The routers internal firmware has went bad..

The date thing you mentioined sealed it, along with another sign, it wont let you stay logged in..

Normally, we would update the firmware, but your router is too far gone to do so.. being that it wont let you stay connected to the router long enough to update it.

Since this is a defect in the router itself. you can go to the link below and request a free replacement from belkin.

https://www.belkin.com/support/returns/

click on the blue start here, then fill out the information it asks for to start the replacement process..

*( personally, i would recommend purchasing the lynksys e1000

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cisco-Expert-E1000-Ultra-Wireless-N-Router/14066653?sourceid=1500000000000003142050&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=14066653

Its a reliable and low cost modern router. )

However , you are entitled to the replacement, And one way or another you need some new equipment!

If you have any further questions or need any further clarification, let me know!

If my answer helped, please click accept and leave some feedback!

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.

Thanks!
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience: 5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.