KennethO
KennethO, Systems Analyst
Experience:  4 years computer/network support, A+, Net+, MCDST
27496349

I cant connect my samsung netbook to the internet

Customer Question

I can't connect my samsung netbook to the internet
Category: Networking
Expert:  DMGreenTech replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
TX_Engineer :

Please go to Start -> Run
type cmd and press enter

Type ipconfig and press enter.

Let me know what your LAN Adpapeter IP Address and Default Gateway is.

TX_Engineer :

(Note, I see you have a wireless router, but we're talking about having it plugged in at this time, correct?)

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ip address is 192.168.10.13 default gateway is 192.168.10.1
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ip address is 192.168.10.13 default gateway is 192.168.10.1 Netbook was plug in to the wireless router, I can do that again easily but currently it is unpluuge and off
Well, lets leave the netbook up and running with it plugged in.

Your IP address and gateway sound right to me.

Let's try this:
Please go to Start -> Run
type cmd and press enter
type ping google.com

Tell me what it says...
I'm looking for something like this:
C:\Users\user>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [74.125.227.16] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.227.16: bytes=32 time=2005ms TTL=55
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do i do this on the netbook or my laptop?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do i do this on the netbook or my laptop? What I get on both isC:\Users\Mary>
I assume your laptop connects fine. I need you to do these test on the netbook.

"C:\users\mary" is fine. It's what you type after that which matters.

I need you to do both of these things on the netbook. As the laptop connects fine, I'm mainly trying to figure out why the netbook isn't working. If it's a wired connection, 90% chance that it's with the netbook, not your router/internet connection.

Was your reply above based on the netbook? If it was the laptop, I need you to do the same thing on the netbook and let me know the output, please...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
above reply based on netbook
OK, we're on the same page.. Now I need you to do another test on the netbook, similar to the first, but with a different command:

Let's try this:
Please go to Start -> Run
type cmd and press enter
type ping google.com

Let me know what the netbook says...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ping request could not find host google.com
Hmm.. That means we're connected to the router, but we're likely not connected to the internet.. (exactly what you've been complaining about).

Bear with me, these diagnostics are necessary to narrow it down.

Please go to Start -> Run
type cmd and press enter
type ipconfig /all

I'm interested in "DNS Servers" - tell me if it gives you a list of any.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no "DNS Servers"
OK.. Last one of these little tests on the netbook side. This tells me that we can't talk to internet sites because we don't know the "address" that they resolve to.. (Just like a postal address)..

Please go to Start -> Run
type cmd and press enter
type ping 94.38.95.81
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ping transmit failed. General failure

ping statistics for 94.38.81:

Packets :Sent = 4, Recieved=0, Lost = 4 <100% loss>

C:\Users\Mary>

I'm assuming that you did "ping 94.38.95.81" and not "ping 94.38.81" - as indicated above.

If so, there is definitely a problem on the Netbook side.
Two things:

1) Is this a new problem? Has the netbook every been able to get on the internet? If so, we should try a system restore first.

If not, we should try to reset some things.
Please go to Start -> Run
type cmd and press enter
type netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
type ipconfig /release and press enter
type ipconfig /renew and press enter

Now try: ping google.com and press enter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

oops C:\users|Mary>94.38.95.81

'94.38.95.81' is not recognized as an interb\nal or external command, operable program or batch file

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

oops C:\users|Mary>94.38.95.81

Tried the additional information and received

No operation can be performed on Customer ( name of network) while it is disconnected.

Ping request could not find host google.com Please check name and try again

Ok, one correction:

'C:\users|Mary>94.38.95.81'

Should have been:
'C:\users|Mary> ping 94.38.95.81'

Has this netbook every been able to get on the internet from your location? If so - we have a much simplier option available: a system restore.

Edited by TX_Engineer on 8/29/2010 at 3:27 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ping:transmit failed, General failure.
OK.. Still have big problems.

Has this netbook every been able to get on the internet from your location?
Is this thing new out of the box? Used?

It's indicating that there is some fairly deep problem, probably with a driver or part of windows itself. This may be resolved via a system restore or removal of the driver, but I'd like to hear about the origin of the Netbook before I take you down that path.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ping:transmit failed, General failure.

did again added ' and response was ping could not find host check name and try again

No this netbook has never been connected to the internet, I have only had it 2 days

OK, lets stop with the ping stuff. It's indicating that it's not fully connected, so pinging things won't help us at this point.

Is this netbook new, as in out of the box new from Samsung?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Wow.. OK, that's not what I expected.

Now there may very well be something going on that I'm not catching, but I've been doing electronics, computers, and networking a long time...

It would be unusual for a netbook to have a driver problem out of the box. If there is a problem with the wired network card, we can certainly try the wireless.

Have you tried connecting it (without a wire) to the wireless router?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, that is where I started and as there was awareness of the network but no connection I tried with a direct connection.
So, basically we're in the same sort of situation when we try with the wireless connection.

Yes, usually the wired connections are pretty fool-proof, especially since your notebook can get on to the internet fine. There is a chance of incompatibility between your router and Windows 7...

Can you give me the model of your router?

Note, I'm running out of time tonight, I won't leave you hanging - as you're obviously diligently working on this, I'll opt-out when I'm out of time (this encourages other experts to work with you) - if it's still unsolved when I'm back on, I'll pick up where I left off. I'm also working to get this moved into the computer networking category where we'll have additional experts that have the qualifications to answer these networking questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Linksys wireless router
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Linksys wireless router N digital
There should be a model number, like:
WRT120N, WRT160NL, etc. Usually on the underside of the router.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wrt 35ON
WRT350N

Per Microsoft, that's compatible..
I'm out of time this evening, opting-out, and will check in tomorrow. I apologize for not being able to solve this one quickly, it's a little unusual.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks TX
Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I have another question for you to help resolve this.

Click Start, click Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center. Here you should see the wireless connection. Right-click on the wireless and choose Properties. In the window that comes up, the middle there is a list, scroll to the TCP/IP, click on that and choose properties there.

There should be a button at the top to get an IP address automatically. If this is not selected, please select it. (I suspect that you will see the second button checked and IP and Gateway information entered below.)

Another thing to be aware of, Netbooks sometimes disable the wireless if the wired connection is being used. When you test the wireless, unplug the cable temporarily.

Let me know how you make out with this so I can continue helping if needed.

Please do not click Accept unless I have resolved your problem. If you are satisfied, clicking Accept will allow me to get paid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did as you instructed, message same as before "window cannot connect to Customer(name of network)"
Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
OK, in the network and connection sharing center, right-click on the wireless, and choose view available wireless networks. Do any show up in the list? especially the Customer network?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok when I click manage wireless networks it says at the top "Manage wireless networks that use (Customer)

Then other Networks you can view, modify, and reorder (1)

Customer Security: WEP Type: Any supported Automatically con...

Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
OK, That means your netbook can see the router, you will need to try to connect, and if it prompts you for a key, enter the same key you used for your laptop.

Try this and let me know what happens
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK I in view your basic network information it says view your active networks, then it says you are not currently connected to any networks, so I clicked connect to a network. It then says connections a available It list Customer in black print and beneath that is has Customer in blue print it shows signal strength excellent Radio type 802.11n

SSID Customer. I clicked on connect and got the message "windows was unable to connect to Customer"

Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
OK, then you need to change your settings on the Netbook to be able to connect. In the sharing center, right-click and choose properties for the wireless connection. At the top of the window there is a tab fro Wireless, click this, and look in the list in the middle of the window. Does Customer show in the list?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Network connections show Customer- not connected, Local area connection Network cable unplugged, Wireless Network Connection - not connected

Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX need to check the wireless connection properties.

Access this by going to the Network and Connection sharing center, then right-clicking the wireless network connection, and choosing properties.

Next click the wireless Networks tab at the top of the page, Is this where you see the Wireless network connection - not connected?

If your Customer network is not showing in the list we will have to add it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK when I click on the Wireless Network connection tab It lists Wireless Network Connection belwo that Customer, below that Local Area Connection. Underneath the Wireless Connection Tab it says The adapter is not connected
Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
OK, at this point, right-click Customer and choose properties.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
done
Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
Excellent,

click the wireless Networks tab at the top,

now in the middle of the window should be a box listing all wireless networks you have connected to.

Since you Netbook is new, the box will most likely be empty. Is that correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am having trouble, the only box at the top of the Customer properties says connect using

abouve the box and Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

below the box is has a tab saying configure.

I have never connected to the internet, I have only had the netbook 3 days

Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
OK, click on configure and tell me what that says
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Five tabs at the top, general, advanced, driver, details, power management

Below that Athero AR9385 Wireless Network Adapter

Device type: Network Adapters

Manufacturer Atheros Coomunication INC

Location PCI bus 5, device 0 , function 0

Device status

devise working properly

Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
I must apologize, you are looking at the wireless adapter properties, not the connection properties. They are two different things.

Let's take a different route.

Click Start, then Control Panel, next Network and Internet, then the Network Connection and sharing.

Let me know what you see when you get there. Is this the same window you were seeing before?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This window has View you basic network information and set up connections

It then shows Finch(name of netbook) under a picture of a monitor and a line to a globe with internet under it There is a red X between Finch and Network

Under that it says View your active networks with a line to connect to a network

Under the line it says you are currently not connecteld to any networks. If I click connect I get Customer with 5 green bars and if I click connect it says windows unable to connect to Customer.

Under the You are currently not connected to any networks it has Connect your network settings

Under this is Set up a new network

Connect to a network

Choose homegroup and sharing options

Troubleshoot problems

I cannot see the items you have referred to that are on this page, this is all there has ever been on this page. Sorry to be so obtuse

Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
No, thank you for this detail.

at this point, since you have not connected to a wireless network, you should click set up a new network, then follow the prompts. When you get to any network settings, you must enter exactly the same settings that are on your laptop as that will give you the settings to connect to your router.

If you hit any snags, let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I clicked set up a new network, It says Choose the wireless router or access point you want to configure.

Below that it says It might take 90 seconds for unconfigured devices on your network to appear.

It has been a few minutes and nothing has appeared

Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
OK, then that means that your computer found the network, but didn't connect.

Right-click on the Customer network, and tell me what you see in the list that pops up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On the connection tab it says security type: - Shared

Encryption type: WEP for the Network security key it has 8 dots

under this it has a blue and yellow shield in front of a small box unmarked followed by show characters

under this is key index: with 1 in a small box

This is exactly the same as on my notebook minus the blue and yellow shield in front of the show characters box

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On the security tab it says security type: - Shared

On the Connection tab it has Name: Customer, SSID Customer, Network type: access type

Network availability: alll users Coonet automatically when this network is in range is checked. Connect to a more preferred network if available is checked. Sorry I left this off my most recent message

Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
Don't worry, it looks like you are at the correct place.

The blue and yellow shield denotes a security setting.

In the box after it, type in your shared key, exactly as you did for the notebook.

Then follow any prompts. Let me know if you have any questions as you go.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The box after the shield will only accept a check the numbers that appear for the security key, 6D61727930 just as on my laptop 8 dots, but 9 numbers and a letter

below it for the key index already has 1 in it just as on my laptop

I clicked ok and then tried to connect again it indicated it was connecting, but the same messgae windows cannot connect with Customer came back

Expert:  KennethO replied 4 years ago.
I have to apologize again, but my knowledge of Windows 7 wireless has come to a dead end. I don't use WEP encryption any more, and I don't have a W7 laptop in front of me to explore as I try to explain.

I am going to opt out so another expert with more detailed experience with Window 7 Wireless can help you.

Another suggestion, can you take it to the store you purchased it from and get assistance that way?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I bought it from Amazon.com I will see what the other expert advises

Thanks for trying