Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.

My wireless Roku device stopped working. I tried resetting

My wireless Roku device stopped working. I tried resetting the device and resetting my Linksys wireless N router. I had installed Cisco Network magic on 3 home computers (wired) but thinking that may have caused the problem, I uninstalled it. The Roku doesn't show any activity. Its only about 12feet from the router (one wall) and has worked fine for almost two years. I changed the batteries on the remote. I also restarted both devices.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Can you tell me the model number of your Linksys router and the model number of your Roku please?

Your service provider gave you a modem - can you tell me the brand and model number of that device too please?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Linksys model WRT160N V3

Roku N1000

Modem Motorola Surfboard SB5101U

Thank you...

2 more questions and I will have some resolution for you:

1. Do you use wireless security on your network?
  2. Does your Roku connect via cable or wirelessly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Roku is wireless

My internet security is Norton 2010 and it says my wireless is secure. The only wireless device is the Roku. When I installed the Cisco Network Magic, it used Trend- Micro and I wonder if it reset the wireless security. Thanks.

It likely did...let's doublecheck some settings and get your Roku working again.

Open Cisco Network Magic, then click Tasks in the main menu, then Change Wireless Protection in the bottom left corner. Make sure Wireless Security is enabled at the top of the new window with a green checkmark. Write down the Key that is listed.

If it is not enabled, click Change Wireless Security, then change the setting to Higher Security and enter a password XXXXX at least 8 characters in the Key box. This is your wireless Security Key - write this down and save the settings.

Now let's set up the Roku:

Make sure the Roku is powered on and find the reset button on the back. Press and hold this for 15 seconds with a pen or paperclip, then release.

1. Power the Roku on and you should see a Welcome screen. Press the Select button on your remote.
  2. Select the Wireless option from the menu, then press Select.
  3. Your Roku will run a network search - when it finds your network, select it with the Left and Right arrows, then press Select on the remote.
  4. You will now be prompted for your Security key - use the arrows to enter the information in, then highlight Done at the bottom and press Select.

You should now be connected to your network and able to use your player again.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Still nothing. No response from the Roku. Maybe the device is no longer functioning. I'll try the security settings again. Thanks anyway.

Would you like to start from the beginning with setting up the router? There could be a setting there that may need to be changed or something with your modem.

Your service provider should have given you a modem - can you tell me the brand and model number of that device?