Benjamin S
Benjamin S, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Five years networking experience with Microsoft, Juniper, and Nortel networking certifications.

I have a wireless hotspot in my home that will support up to

I have a wireless hotspot in my home that will support up to 5 computers. I purchased a Netgear Wireless-G USB Adapter so I could connect my old desktop through the wireless system. The icon at the bottom says the computer is online, but Internet Explorer says I am offline. Can you help?
Doris
Category: Networking
Expert:  Benjamin S replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Benjamin S :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Benjamin S :

What does the error say exactly in Internet Explorer?

Customer :

The window says "The webpage is unavailable because you are offline"

Benjamin S :

Do you see a toolbar along the top of Internet Explorer that says File, Edit, View, etc?

Customer :

Yes, and above it is another notification that I am offline.

Benjamin S :

Click on File. Near the bottom does "Work Offline" have a checkmark next to it?

Customer :

There is an icon at the bottom right of the screen of a computer and a b;omlomg dpt/ If I rightclick on it, I get a "PropertiesP window that says "Status: Acquiring network address" Network" "the name of my wireless device" Speed: 54.o Mbps Signal Strength "Excellent"

Customer :

I unchecked the work offline option.

Benjamin S :

Now let's try to go to a website.

Benjamin S :

We also want to make sure that the icon in the bottom right of your screen doesn't say Acquiring Network Address. If that is what it says, we want to wait until that particular message goes away.

Customer :

I did. I tried to go to Yahoo but it gives me the "webpage unavailable while offline:. Also, I just checked the Support tab on the Wireless network properties window and noticed it says "Invalid IP Address" Does that mean anything? The Acquiring Network Address has been on there for about an hour, since I first installed the device.

Benjamin S :

Yes, it does mean something.

Benjamin S :

An invalid IP address would mean that your router is not giving your computer an address, so it chose one on it's own.

Customer :

OK. What do I do?

Benjamin S :

Let's try first to get you an IP address from the router. If you double-click on that icon, does a window come up/

Benjamin S :

?

Customer :

The grey properties-like box comes up. I do not have a n actual router. What I have is a Verizon Intelligent Mobile Hotspot that will support up to 5 coputers. My laptop and my notebook each have different home pages. If I double click on the wifi connection on the laptop I am using to talk to you, it gives me a box that says "Verizon MiFi2200 FAF9 Secure

Benjamin S :

And does that say you are connected?

Customer :

Yes, on this computer. f I run the curseor over the icon on the desktop it says Wireless Network connection Access Point. Strength: Excellent.

Benjamin S :

Let's try using the command line, then.

Customer :

How?

Benjamin S :

Go to Start, press run.

Customer :

OK

Benjamin S :

Once there, type "ipconfig /release" and push enter.

Benjamin S :

Then when the blinking cursor comes back type "ipconfig /renew".

Customer :

When I hit enter on the ipconfig /release, a little black window appears and then disappears before I can do anything.

Benjamin S :

I'm sorry. I forgot a step.

Benjamin S :

In the run box type "cmd" and push enter.

Benjamin S :

Then enter in the commands.

Customer :

OK I have released and now typed ipconfig /renew and have entered.

Benjamin S :

Once that comes back, is the icon still saying invalid IP address?

Customer :

Now the black window says "An error occurred while renewing interface wireless connection unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out. And the Connectivity icon popped up a message that "Limited or no connectivity. Request has timed out.

Benjamin S :

Ok, thank you for that.

Benjamin S :

Your computer does not like connecting to your Mobile Hotspot at the moment.

Benjamin S :

Let's try re-connecting.

Benjamin S :

Push your Start button and select Connect To on the right of the bar that pops up.

Benjamin S :

What do you see there?

Customer :

It says
(1)Direct Connection" which is not a valid connection; (2) "The Internet" which is the old dial up connection no longer good. and (3) Wireless Network Connection When I click on that I get the grey box again showing limited or no connectivity.

Benjamin S :

Do you have a green light on your Mobile Hotspot?

Customer :

Yes. Let me run the installation thingy again. I may have messed something up

Benjamin S :

Remember to use the password XXXXX the bottom of your Mobile Hotspot, or the card that came with it.

Customer :

ok. I am connected again. Your tip about the password XXXXX resolved another problem. Thanks. Now do I run cmd?

Benjamin S :

Let's try going to Internet Explorer to see if it works now.

Benjamin S :

Remember to look for the Work Offline option under File.

Customer :

No. I already tried but it gave me the offline thing again

Customer :

The "work offline" option keeps checking itself again, for one thing.

Benjamin S :

It will do that if you don't have a connection to the internet when you try.

Benjamin S :

When you go into the command line and type "ipconfig" what does it give you?

Customer :

The icon iin the right hand corner is steady now and if I run the cursor over it it says "Netgear WGv113 is now connected to Verizon MiFi2200 FAF9,

Customer :

And tthe NetGear wizard grey window has an IP address, but still can't get an online window. When I click on the "Internet Explorer" icon, I get "Internet Properties and under "connections" it has the old connections but says nothing about the Wireless connection. Does that mean anything?

Customer :

Hold on. I missed what you said about ipconfig. Let me try that.

Benjamin S :

I must admit that no wireless connection in the properties is a bit odd.

Customer :

It says: Ethernet adapter Local Area Connedtion:

Customer :

Media State . . . .Media Disconnected

Customer :

Ethernet

Customer :

adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Customer :

Connection-specific DNS Suffix

Customer :

IP Address . . . 192.168.1.3.

Customer :

Subnet Mask. . . . .255.255255.0

Benjamin S :

Alright, that sounds like it should be connecting.

Customer :

Default Gateway. . . .192.168.1.1

Benjamin S :

And what are the lights on the Mobile Hotspot doing?

Benjamin S :

Do you have a Verizon phone near you? If so, how many bars do you have?

Customer :

They are blinking green.

Customer :

My Laptop has 5 bars. however

Benjamin S :

Is the blinking light a steady blink, or a random blink?

Customer :

The netgear window on the desk top says "connected to internet" and all dots on the signal strength are green. Just now I tried to bring up the internet browser window again and I get the little box that says "choose a connection" It has only the old
dial up connection and a direct connection thing that was never used. It did not show the Wireless connection. I think somehow the Browser andoesn't know or recognize that a wireless connection exists. Is that possible?

Customer :

The blinking light is blinking steadily as it usually does.

Benjamin S :

A steady blinking light means that there is no service, according to Verizon.

Benjamin S :

Either that, or it is hibernating.

Benjamin S :

Let's try turning off the Mobile Hotspot for a full minute, and turning it back on.

Benjamin S :

Maybe if it is in hibernation this will recover your internet.

Customer :

The light on top is steady. Only the side one is blinking. If I turn off the Hotspot, this computer will no longer be connected to the internet. When the Hotspot is running out of juice it blinks red on the top.

Benjamin S :

So we're using two different computers, both connected to the Hotspot?

Customer :

Yes. I am on my laptop using the Hotspot. The one I am trying to get connected is an older desktop that originally had a dial-up connection. There is no cable of DSL available where we live so we hae to do the MiFi thing.

Customer :

I also have a notebook that I sometimes connect using the Hotspot. If my husband and I are on at the same time with both computers it still works fine.

Benjamin S :

Ok. The MiFi is obviously working then.

Customer :

Yes,

Benjamin S :

So we have proved that two computers can be connected at the same time.

Benjamin S :

We know that the computer is connected, but it does not show the wireless connection in its setting.

Benjamin S :

Let's try using Internet Explorer... by the way, do you have another browser on this computer, say Firefox, or Chrome?

Benjamin S :

Instead of going to a website let's use the address bar to go to 192.168.1.1

Customer :

No, but I may have Firefox on a cd my son sent me a while back. Do you mean put it in the place I normally put www.such and such?

Benjamin S :

Yes, let's try the IP address there.

Customer :

A little grey box pops up that says "You cannot access this website if you are offline. Do you want to connect? If I say "yes" I get the connect box that doesn't include the wireless connection. If I just close that little box and click "go to" the IP address, the "Connect box reappears.

Benjamin S :

I'm starting to wonder if you may have a proxy enabled.

Benjamin S :

Let's look for a proxy server, then.

Benjamin S :

At the top of your screen let's click Tools, then Internet Options.

Customer :

You did it!!!!!

Benjamin S :

Click on the Connections tab, and push the Lan Settings button.

Customer :

On the internet properties box, Iit said "choose a proxy setting. I clicked on "never dial a connection. and now I am installing windows update. You are very patient and very good. thank youso much.

Benjamin S :

Ok. So the computer was trying to dial out.

Customer :

Do I neeed to know anything else before I click "Accept"??

Benjamin S :

I'm glad I could help.

Customer :

You are great. Thanks again. I am putting this website in my favorites colume!! Good night.

Benjamin S, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Five years networking experience with Microsoft, Juniper, and Nortel networking certifications.