Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Technician with years of IT and customer support experience

I have hooked up my PS3 through a Time Warner cable modem/router

I have hooked up my PS3 through a Time Warner cable modem/router The PS3 overall works fine but I cannot establish an internet connection. I receive the message "The attempt to obtain an IP address timed out".

Any ideas?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
Is it amodem/router combo device or do you have a modem connected to a router?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The modem/router is an RCA combo device supplied by Time Warner during the installation of service.

I have a Netgear 10/100 switch attached to the RCA combo. The switch feeds my PC and the PS3.

The PC, TV and PS3 work fine appart from PS3 internet connection.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am pretty sure the issue is Time Warner blocking ports on the router
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
Reset the router, by unplugging the Router, and Switch. Then, after about 2 minutes, plug the cords back in, and plugging the Modem cord back in first. Wait for a second, then plug the Switch cord back in. Then, try to connect on your ps3 again.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I should have told you, I already tried this and it does not work.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
That's no problem thank you for letting me know. Please get the mac address for the PS3 on the system settings and information page. After that however you are going to need to call time warner as you will need to access the routers settings page. There you will need to set a direct IP address to be used only by the PS3 and have the ports forwarded. Unfortunately when it comes to logging into their routers they can give you a hard time and sometimes will even say to go to sony. This problem however is a problem with their device and not Sony's so they should be able to do this for you especially if you tell them exactly what I just told you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I already had all that information from my web searches - I also have information on the frustration of those who have tried to contact Time Warner directly about this problem. The fact that the PS3 does not network, without great grief, on one of the major internet provider networks, is a Sony problem and should be solved by them dealing directly with Time Warner.

I went to the Sony site (at significant expense) rather than calling Time Warner for free, because I needed a quick solution.

I am not accepting the answer at this time. If I succeed in my call to Time Warner in September, I will pay you - event though I already had the solution you have provided. We were trying to get back to PA by 12:00 so I have to leave.

Again, many thank,

I will be back in touch

As I indicated a soluton was urgent. I am leaving our apartment in NYC now to return home (Philadelphia area) and will not be back until September 30th.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately that is the only way as time warner sets up there security on their routers so there is no way for me to tell you how to access it and make the necessary changes. If there was I would gladly tell you as I had this same problem with comcast using an xbox 360. The solution for that problem ended up being the need to clone the mac address. However normally just setting up the IP address and dns information usually suffices.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am back in Philadelphia. I will retain the information on the laptop and be back in touch with you as soon as I return to NY

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
Ok no problem take all the time you need