Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.

just installed the Netgear Dual Band Wireless N Router so that

just installed the Netgear Dual Band Wireless N Router so that I can play my recorded HD channels on my computer at the proper speed . . . however the "dual" part is not working . . . in other words, my Windows 7 laptop can only see the 24-G connection and not the DualBand-N connection which is supposed to be the "faster" connection. I was told that Windows 7 was compatible with this "N" technology. Any ideas ?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Can you tell me the model number of your router please?

Also, what is the brand and model number of your laptop?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model of my router is N300 Wireless Dual Band Router (WNDR3300)

My laptop is a Gateway NV53 with Windows 7

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

Thank you...this will take just a few minutes to verify all of the settings...

Your computer is definitely capable of connecting to the N network.

Let's change some settings on your router - the default settings need to be changed to use the N network properly.

Use the computer directly connected to the router via ethernet cable, then open your web browser and enter this address:

http://www.routerlogin.net

A login screen will appear:

Username: admin

Password: password

Once logged in, click Wireless Settings on the left side of the screen.

There are two parts to this screen. The 2.4GHz network (top half) and the 5 GHz network (bottom half).

Make sure Broadcast SSID is enabled on each. The network name of each is the name of the corresponding network that is being broadcasted.

The top section is likely set to 130 Mbps. This is a legacy mode that allows older devices to connect to your wireless network. If you have no other wireless devices, this can be changed to 300 Mbps.

Take note of the Network Name at the bottom - the default is NETGEAR-5G. This is the network you are looking to connect to. With Enable Broadcast SSID set, this network will be available. Write down the passphrase/preshared key also.

On your laptop, disconnect from your current wireless network and with the 5GHz network enabled, click your Wireless icon in the bottom right corner of your desktop, then look for the 5GHz network. It should show up - click it, click Connect and enter the wireless key. The connection should complete.

Did this get you connected?

Edited by Kevin on 8/17/2010 at 8:01 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

your references are a little off but I think I get the general direction you are taking me, and I have been through this process a few times . . . just tried it again and when I click my wireless networks it only sees the "G" connection. Not the "N" connection.

I was careful to write down all the names and passwords, etc. I also already looked into the mbps which I do not have the option to go to 300, only 270 or 230, something like that.

For some reason, my laptop is not recognizing that N connection.

And this time I did connected directly to the router. Before I accessed it through the network.

Any other ideas ?

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

Netgear doesn't have a complete manual for your router yet - I had to work off of the WNDR3700 - it looks like it is slightly different.

You can use one of the higher numbers (270/230). This will speed up the connection.

On your Gateway, click Start, then in the Search bar, type this command and hit enter:

devmgmt.msc

In the new window, click the + sign next to Network Adapters to expand them. Doubleclick your Broadcom adapter - can you tell me the name of your adapter please?

Click the Driver tab. What is the version number?

Click Advanced on the new screen. Is the N option enabled here?

Edited by Kevin on 8/17/2010 at 9:01 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Network Adapters

Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter
Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Microsoft Virtual WiFiu Miniport Adapter

Broadcom NetLink Driver Date 6/20/2009
Broadcom NetLink Driver Version 12.2.1.1

As for the advanced options to enable . . . I do not see specifically anything that relates to enabling N.

There is a long list of items . . . do you want me to list them?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

That's good enough and answers my questions. Thank you...

Log back into your router...

Change the Mode to Up To 270 Mbps. Save the settings.

Can your laptop now connect at 270Mbps?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is already set to that.

By default it is set to . . .

Up to 270Mbps at 5GHz & 54 Mbps at 2.4Hz

I just talked to another techy and he was saying that it has to be set up or compliant with the hardware adapter. Maybe there is a newer version of the drivers ??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Funny, my Mac finds both connections just fine.
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

That other tech is right - that was what I was after when I asked the driver version number. The most current is 12.2.1.1, which you have. The card is not seeing the 5GHz range for some reason.

The mode of 270Mbps is different than 270Mbps at 5GHz & 54 Mbps at 2.4GHz.

This changes the Channel Width to 40MHz, which is what you need to get the connection optimized.

Routers ship at 20MHz by default, which is what the 270Mbps at 5GHz & 54 Mbps at 2.4Hz setting is.

The reason they ship that way is if there are other 2.4GHz networks around, it can cause interference. If the router picks up interference, it will automatically refer back down to the 20MHz setting.

If you run the network at 270Mbps and your laptop sees the network this way, the only thing that will work on your network is an N adapter. If you have anything else that is G rated, they won't work. The best setting is 270Mbps at 5GHz & 54 Mbps at 2.4Hz.

Regarding the HD playback - what equipment are you using to do this? The reason I ask is 130Mbps would have no trouble whatsoever with thit - neither would the legacy 54Mbps.

Are you streaming between computers or is it something different?

Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience: Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. All of what you wrote makes sense. I will see about changing to that single 270 Mbps. And let you know. Thx
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

Great - I will look forward to seeing how things work out.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, I think we've figured it out. Changing the setting to the single 270 mbps did the trick. I've reset the connection both to my laptop and my DirectTV and just tried playing back a recorded TV show and no interruptions.

So thank you very much. Really appreciate your help.

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

Great - glad to help.

Just one thing to keep in mind if you add anything in the future - if the device you add uses only 802.11g, the setting will need to be changed to 270Mbps at 5GHz & 54 Mbps at 2.4Hz to get it to connect.

It doesn't matter right now, but if something comes up when adding a device, this would be a good note to keep. It could save you some headaches...

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your day!