Route Ranger
Route Ranger, Internetworking Consultant
Experience:  MCSE MCP+I A+ CCDP CCNP CCNA CCDA (1999-2005) 17 Years in Network Engineering And Security

I just bought a Hawking Hi-Gain Dual Radio Repeater and the

Customer Question

I just bought a Hawking Hi-Gain Dual Radio Repeater and the instruction tell me to go to http://setup.hawkingtech.com to set it up. But, I cannot reach that web address. From what little I could understand from their tech support, my ip (192.168.1.1) is in a "different range" than their ip (192.168.1.200) What I could not get was what I was supposed to do about it. On the phone the techie's English was very heavily accented and I am hard of hearing, so I had to give up on that. By email the techie's grammar was so bad, and tech jargon so heavy I had to give up on that too.

Can you help this hard of hearing non-techie type to fix the problem?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Route Ranger replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Route Ranger :

Hi, I know nothing about your Hawking Hi Gain Radio but I am an expert on routing issues.

Route Ranger :

And I can help with your issue.

Route Ranger :

Would you like to proceed?

Customer :

Yes. Can you figure out how to get me to the Hawking Tech setup page?

Route Ranger :

lol, I just said I know nothing about your Hawking radio.

Route Ranger :

Its unlikely anyone in here does, but someone might

Route Ranger :

I am a routing expert

Route Ranger :

So I can answer questions about the IP information they gave you

Route Ranger :

For example

Route Ranger :

What the tech told you was wrong

Route Ranger :

You are not on a "different range" with the two IP's you entered

Customer :

Yeah, I know, but I'm not asking about that. I want to know how I can communicate with their ip, which is 192.168.1.200 from my router, which is 192.168.0.1. Can you answer that part?

Route Ranger :

Ok, in your question, this is what you state

Route Ranger :

"From what little I could understand from their tech support, my ip (192.168.1.1) is in a "different range" than their ip (192.168.1.200)"

Route Ranger :

So you said 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.200

Route Ranger :

Now you are saying 192.168.0.1

Route Ranger :

Which IP is correct?

Route Ranger :

You're going to need to be accurate on the numbers

Customer :

I made a mistake on my ip--the correct one 192.168.0.1. That was a typo. I apologize and will be more careful.

Route Ranger :

192.168.1.1 is NOT in a different range

Route Ranger :

Well I'm not chastising you for it, lol, its just impossible to assist if you provide incorrect IP information

Route Ranger :

Ok. so you're on a 192.168.0.1

Route Ranger :

And the radio is at 192.168.1.200

Route Ranger :

Right?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

I can't get to the page http://setup.hawkingtech.com. I was told it was a router problem, but I have no idea why I can't reach the page.

Route Ranger :

Well the reason is because they are on foreign subnets

Route Ranger :

So either you need to change the rouers IP

Route Ranger :

routers IP

Route Ranger :

or the radio

Customer :

Is there any drawback to my changing my router's ip? Or maybe I can just change it long enough to get to their setup page and setup my repeater?

Route Ranger :

I've found a manual online for your radio

Route Ranger :

Well there's no problem changing the routers IP

Route Ranger :

It won't hurt anything

Route Ranger :

However this repeater, from what I am reading, is Wireless?

Customer :

Yes

Route Ranger :

You connect to it via a Wireless card?

Route Ranger :

Does it have an Ethernet cable you can plug in?

Customer :

Yes

Route Ranger :

I see its a power over ethernet

Route Ranger :

Ok.

Route Ranger :

Well you can plug that Ethernet cable into the BACK of your router

Route Ranger :

Then, plug a wire from your computer to the back of the rotuer

Route Ranger :

(I assume you're using Wireless on the router for internet connectivity, right?)

Route Ranger :

Once you do that, you can just change the IP (which I can help you do) of your network card (wired network) to match the subnet of your radio

Route Ranger :

Then you can set the radio to match the subnet of your wireless router

Customer :

OK. Let me plug it and and have a go at it. Just a minute.

Customer :

OK. Ready for instructions.

Customer :

Still there?

Route Ranger :

Yes

Route Ranger :

Right here

Route Ranger :

Ok, so the radio and your computer both have a cable plugged into the back of your wireless router now, right?

Route Ranger :

And you are NOT using the cable, to connect to this internet session, right?

Route Ranger :

You are using a wireless card to be online, right?

Route Ranger :

Just want to make sure so we don' get disconnected

Customer :

I don't think so? How do I know?

Route Ranger :

You don't know if your have a wireless connection to the internet?

Route Ranger :

You have a wireless router, right?

Route Ranger :

Do you have to plug an ethernet cable into the router to use it?

Route Ranger :

Or do you just connect wirelessly?

Route Ranger :

This is a answer you will need to provide

Customer :

Yes. I am connected via DSL. Does that mean I am connected wirelessly?

Route Ranger :

I'm talking about how you connect TO the ROUTER

Route Ranger :

Do you plug a cable into your router?

Route Ranger :

Or is it wireless?

Route Ranger :

This is an answer sir, you'll have to give me

Route Ranger :

I'm good, but I'm not clairvoyant

Route Ranger :

lol

Route Ranger :

Either you plug your laptop (or PC) into the router to get online, or you don't

Customer :

Sorry--I feel like a ditz. I'm connected to the router by wire a cable. And it's Mam--on old Mam at that! lol

Route Ranger :

LOL

Route Ranger :

ok, no problem

Route Ranger :

That sort of changes things though

Route Ranger :

Because it means you're going to lose internet connectivity when you follow these steps

Route Ranger :

So what I'm going to do, is switch us to a Q and A

Route Ranger :

then write out the steps

Route Ranger :

So you can have them

Route Ranger :

Then you follow them, connect to the radio, change the radios IP

Route Ranger :

to match your router

Route Ranger :

then reset your IP back to what it is (easy because its DHCP) and you should be good to go

Route Ranger :

So hang on, I'm switching us to a Q and A session, and then I'll see you in there.

Route Ranger :

Ok?

Customer :

OK

Route Ranger :

here we go

Route Ranger :

You should get an email in a moment

Experience: MCSE MCP+I A+ CCDP CCNP CCNA CCDA (1999-2005) 17 Years in Network Engineering And Security
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Hi, I"m going to write out instructions for you.

It will take me a few minutes to write them. I will submit them as an answer, however don't hit "ACCEPT" until you've made connectivity to the radio. Also don't hit ACCEPT if you have more questions. Just come back in and ask them. But if these instructions work for you, then of course please hit ACCEPT so I can be paid.

Give me a few minutes here and I'll post them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
already goofed and it accept. Thought I needed to in order to continue.
Hi, I see you already hit accept, lol. Ok, don't worry. I'm going to keep this open until you're good to go.

Ok. Here's what you're going to do first.

(REMEMBER, you will lose internet during part of this procedure.

1. In your Windows XP, I want you to click START
2. Then click SETTINGS
3. Then click NETWORK CONNECTIONS
4. Identify your network adapter (It will be the one saying connected, and will be blue)
5. RIGHT click it
6 Choose PROPERTIES
7.Choose INTERNET PROTOCOL(TCP\IP)
8.Choose PROPERTIES
9. It will probably be set to "Obtain IP address automatically". Take the button out of that, and select "USE THE FOLLOWING IP ADDRESS"
10. Enter for the IP 192.168.1.199
11. Enter for the SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0
12. Leave everything else empty
13. Click OK
14. Click OK again

Now you will be on the SAME IP range, as your radio. You will be now able to open the radios management interface.

Go into the radio, using the manual to change the IP on the radio to match your network.

CONTINUED

If you don't have your manual you can download it here for the Hawking. As I stated starting out I know nothing about your radio so you'll have to follow the manual

www.hawkingtech.com/downloads.php?file_id=3990

That is the address to download your Hawking quick setup.

It looks like for that you will just open a browser (don't go to hawkingsetup.com because that's a web address, go to the radios IP)

So you'd enter into your browser

http://192.168.1.200

That should take you to the radio setup page.

Follow the manuals instructions for changing the IP address. Change the IP to DHCP (obtain IP automatically) IF it will let you

If not, then just make it 192.168.0.150. Make the MASK 255.255.255.0 and make the default gateway 192.168.0.1.

Then you will have your Hawking on the same network.

Now, REPEAT the procedure I gave you above for setting your IP back to what it was (most likely "OBTAIN IP AUTOMATICALLY") and you will then be back online, AND able to communicate to your HAWKING radio.

Let me know if you have any questions along the way. I'll keep your ticket open until you're done.

Edited by Route Ranger on 8/16/2010 at 7:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried your directions. Did not work. In fact I could not get any web pages once I changed. Let me ask you this. When I go to my Network Connections I show two: 1394 Net Adapter--connected and Local Area Connection--connected. I assumed the one I was suppose to change the setting for was the second--The Local Area Connection. Was I mistaken?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have now tried it with both. Also tried using IE instead of Chrome. I still cannot reach the setup page (entering http://192.168.200). Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I still have you there?
If you followed my instructions, it has to work.

The fact that you pointed out you could not get on the internet during the process tells me that you probably did not follow my instructions to the letter, because I made it clear in the instructions, that you would lose internet connectivity during the procedure.

What you are doing is simply changing your PC's IP, to match the subnet of the radio.

Once you do that, you should have no problem accessing the radio.

Did you download the procedures for the radio that I gave you?

And yes, you were on the right adapter, the "LOCAL AREA CONNECTION".

Repeat the process.

THIS time, when you are on the same IP range as the radio, PING it.

To make sure you have the right address.

To ping it, do this.

1. Click START
2. Click RUN
3. type into the run box, cmd
4. In the command window, type PING 192.168.1.200

IF you have followed my instructions at that point, and have BOTH the radio, and the computer plugged into the BACK of the router, (one of the 4 switch ports in the router) and IF you provided the right IP address of the radio (192.168.1.200) then it will respond.

Once you get a response, then you can go in and change the IP to DHCP (auto IP) so it pulls its information from the router.

Do it again, this time making sure you can PING the radio first.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot ping it and I just don't understand why. I have checked and rechecked that I entered the numbers exactly as you said. I have the ethernet cable that came with the repeater plugged into the wired modem slot on the back of the repeater and Ethernet slot 2 on the back of the router. I have an ethernet cable running from the ethernet slot on the back of the computer to ethernet slot 1 on the router. The ip address of the given in the setup manual for setting up the repeater is 192.168.1.200. So I just don't know what I am doing wrong!
Hmm, that doesn't make sense.

Is your LAN connection "ENABLED"?

Is the lights on the little icon blue? Or grayed out? Does it show CONNECTED ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it's connected. And I know it doesn't make sense. That's why I can't figure it out.
What's the model number of your router?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Gateway Actiontec GT704-WG
Ok, I just read through you routers manual and I don't see any reason why you couldn't PING the Hawking.

Please give me the exact model number of your Hawking so I am sure I have the right manual.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HW2R1
I don't see that model number. Do you mean "HOW2R1"?
Never mind, I just found yours.

This is a black box that looks like a regular wireless router, with a curved top, and 3 antenna's, right?

Edited by Route Ranger on 8/16/2010 at 10:41 PM EST
Ok, hang with me here. I have to read through your manual since the Quick Setup guide is so sparse.

While I'm doing that, tell me, what did you buy this for?

I mean how far out are you trying to go? Is your DSL provider's router not providing a decent signal? Is that why you got it?
Hi, I guess you've stepped out (or smashed your keyboard, lol). Either way don't worry. I think you're going to be ok.

I've read through your manual and this device shouldn't be a problem to get going, its just we're approaching it the wrong way.

This device is meant to be set up using a Wireless Signal and the CD that came with it, which will load proprietary drivers on your PC, to let you connect to the Wireless signal from the repeater, and configure it.

I was thrown by your information there on the subnets that you relayed from technical support, but now that I have the right information for your device, we should be able to set this up in a snap.

Of course, I"ll need you back, so let me know when you're ready to go.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I needed to cook supper. I think I've about had it for tonight. If you are willing, I will be glad to try again tomorrow.

I need to drop my husband at the airport at about 7:30 am and it is an hour drive each way, so I probably won't be back until later morning tomorrow. I hope that is alright with you. (You can take your time after that if you have things you need to take care of ahead of my concerns).

Looking forward to getting this worked out. And thank you for all your work so far.

Hi, unfortunately I work full time so I can't always schedule with you but I'll leave this open and try to be online sometime tomorrow. I'll do an "Info request" to ping you (should get an email) to let you know when I am online.

Actually, what I can do is just post the process in here tonight, and you can follow it at your leisure. If you have no problems with it (its really pretty easy) then you'll be good to go. If so then just let me know tomorrow.

Sound good?

Edited by Route Ranger on 8/17/2010 at 12:50 AM EST

Here is your answer.

The default address of your Extender is NOT 192.168.1.200.

It is 192.168.1.1

The reason you could not get to the address via 192.168.1.200, is because its the wrong address.

Just like calling the wrong phone number. No matter how many times you try, if the numbers wrong, its wrong.

Here are step by steps to follow. These will work for you.

1. Disconnect the Hawking from the back of the ACTIONTEC DSL appliance.

2. Connect your COMPUTER directly into the back of the Hawking using one of the Hawkings 4 switch ports.

3. MAKE SURE your IP is still set to what I had you set it to above. If not, repeat the steps outlined above to set your computers IP (for the Local Area Connection).

4. Then just go to http://192.168.1.1 and then your management screen will open and you'll be into the page.

5.Log in with the username admin and the password XXXXX 1234, and you'll be rocking by mid morning!

TROUBLESHOOTING

There really isn't much to troubleshoot here.

IF your computer is set to 192.168.1.199 (or you could just set it to 192.168.1.2) and IF you are plugged directly into the back of the Hawking, then there is no way you will not be able to open the web page. (you can also PING the address).

To be safe, you can disable your Wireless Area Connection temporarily while you do this.

Also turn off any personal firewalls.

But other than that, there is NOTHING other than defective hardware (highly unlikey that the hardware is bad) that would keep you from your management page at that point.

So IF you follow my instructions, you'll be fine. If it doesn't work, take it back to the store because its broke at that point.

You just provided me originally with the wrong IP address and that's why we ran into trouble. You said it was 192.168.1.200 so with the wrong IP naturally we ran into issues. But you'll be fine now.

RR

(PS, I'm posting this as an answer as this should close out your ticket but don't hit accept again, you've already paid)

Edited by Route Ranger on 8/17/2010 at 1:21 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Apparently the unit is just defective. It still will not open the setup site. And, just so you will know that I was not just being careless with numbers, the "Getting Started" guide that came with the unit does say that the ip to enter is 192.168.1.200.

At any rate. Thank you for all your help.
Actually if you provided me with the right model number of the unit, the manuals for the unit provide 192.168.1.1 as the correct IP address of the unit.

I have the Quick Start Guide here, and the Users Manual direct from Hawkings Website for the Hawking HW2R1.

IF that model number you gave me was correct, then both the Quick Startup Guide AND the Users manual show 192.168.1.1 as the correct default address for your unit.

Don't know where you came up with the .200.

But I'm reading it right off their website.

Can't make a mistake there. So whatever you have you're either reading wrong, or is wrong, or you gave me the wrong model number.

Because that is straight off their website, which anyone can go to right now and view.

Anyway if you plug directly into the back of the Hawking, and still cannot open the management page for it using the IP of 192.168.1.1 WITH YOUR IP set to 192.168.1.2 or .3 etc.... then the unit must be defective.

But the information I've provided you with is 100 percent accurate, and quickly verified on their website.

Good luck
RR