Brandon M.
Brandon M., System Administrator
Experience:  Currently an IT Manager for law firm. Work with Exchange, Blackberries daily. CAT 5e certified.
12024030

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard set up with a workgroup for

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard set up with a workgroup for 3-6 windows7 users (3 desktops, 3 laptops) as a file server. Have Kasperksy Business Space protecing the server and workstations. Fbackup backing up to a NAS Drive and locally. The server has raid controller mirror the disk. Using Dropbox temporarily to backup major files offsite. Will use anther automated service for all files from end of month.The IP addresses are controlled by DHCP on the router. I did not set up any DNS info on the server. All seems to be working fine.

Given the above, what if anything would you change and would you add any essential services apart from file mangement?

Regards

Mick

Hi there and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to assist you.

Your setup sounds pretty good, you have RAID which will help protect your files in the event of a dead drive, you are also backing up offsite which is good in the event of a local disaster. You can enable DHCP and DNS on your server if you wanted to control that yourself but is not required as the router is already doing it.

You can also make that server a domain controller if you wanted to start doing stuff like domain policies which limit what the users can do/see. For instance, if you didn't want them in Control Panel or anything like that, you can hide it from view.

Both those options are completely optional and are not required. You already have it setup pretty well and you have a good disaster recovery plan.

If you have any questions regarding configuring either of those services, let me know.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Brandon