Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

My router does not have a wps button and i am in need of connecting

My router does not have a wps button and i am in need of connecting a wireless adapter to my xbox via this method. Is there a way i can go to the routers web page and do it manually? The adapter is a mad catz wireless gaming adapter and the setup disc has a link to a web based utility page where you can find the items pin number and then enter that into your router but the page wont open.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

What is the brand and model number of your router?

Can you also tell me the model number of your gaming device please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the router is a netgear model number wph824v2
the model number of the adapter is 4704
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is supposed to be wpn824v2 not wph, sorry
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Thank you - sorry for the delay. Your adapter is a bit new to me...

Use the computer directly connected to the router and open Internet Explorer. Enter this address:

http://www.routerlogin.net

A login screen will appear:

username: admin

password: password

Once logged in, click LAN/IP Setup, under Advanced, then change the IP Address from 192.168.1.1 to 10.10.10.100 - save the settings and exit the setup of the router.

Run the MadCatz installation disc - you should be able to get through the setup with the Pin method...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it still says unable to connect when i try to retrieve the pin
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Were you able to get the router information changed okay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, although a prompt popped up telling me to do something about the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/ renew
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Okay - are you using wireless security, meaning a password XXXXX connect to your wireless network?

Out of curiosity, what made you choose the Mad Catz device over the Xbox adapter?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i am

the price, just trying to save a few bucks
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
What version of Windows is on the computer connected to the router?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
windows 7
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Thank you - if you enter this address in Internet Exlporer (make sure the mad Catz is powered on), do you get the login screen for the device?

http://10.10.10.254

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it says it cant establish a connection to the server
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Use an ethernet cable to connect the gaming device to one of the available ports of the router. Can you get the login screen to come up that way?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so the router would no longer be connected to the computer im on?

i tried it and the same message came up
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Okay - let's try this a different way...

Disconnect your Desktop computer from the router, then connect it directly to the gaming adapter. Run these steps:

Click Start

In the Search Bar, type ncpa.cpl then hit enter

Right click Local Area Connection, select Properties

Click IPV4 TCP/IP Protocol, then click Properties

Change the IP Address settting from Automatic to manual settings and enter these values:

IP Address: 10.10.10.50

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 10.10.10.1

Save the settings, then run your installation cd. Use the Web Based Utility option to complete the setup - can you finish it this way?

Edited by Kevin on 8/12/2010 at 2:30 AM EST
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience: Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its still not working, i can try using it on another computer that is running windows xp
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

When you ran through the installation cd the last time, which part did not work?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the same part, when i come to the screen with the button web login and click on it it opens my browser and always says it cant connect
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

When going through the installation cd, when you click on the Web Login page, do you get a username/password XXXXX?

If you run these steps on the desktop computer, is the IP address still 10.10.10.50?

Click Start

IP Address: 10.10.10.50

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 10.10.10.1

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay so that caused some serious issues with my router and i ended up having to reset it
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Okay - other than the steps I had with changing the address of the computer, then running the installation, I'm not sure how else to get this working for you.

Let me opt out to open this up to other experts for you.

I will check in and keep researching this for you...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have a friend who is a major nerd so ill ask him, youve been very patient and im very grateful
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

If you guys need help, let me know. I'm still going to dig into this a bit more for you.

When you have some time, can you tell me how many other devices you have on your network and what the model number and brand of your modem is?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i can send that to you tomorrow if thats okay, and i appreciate your hard work
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Of course. Anytime that works for you.

Thank you again and have a good night!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you do the same.