Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Experience:  Computer Business Owner / Former DoD Network Specialist
40218039

my cable works, but my netgear wifi box is not working properly.

my cable works, but my netgear wifi box is not working properly. how do i go about fixing this?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

With the power on, press and hold the reset button with a paper clip for 60 consecutive seconds (if you release early, start over) on the router.

After the 60 seconds, unplug power to your modem and then unplug power to your router.

Plug the power back to your modem. Wait 60 seconds.

Plug the power back to your router. Wait 60 seconds.

Now, on a Mac that is hardwired into your router, open Safari and type in 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter.

You should get a prompt for username and password. Type in admin for the username empty and type in password for the password. Press enter.

Now go to the Wireless tab. Here you should be able to set up the SSID (name of your network) and the Wireless Security for your network.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you. Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the wifi light wont show up after i plug the power back into the router. and when i put the numbers 192.168.1.1 into the address bar, it just says that i'm not connected to the internet. i've done this whole process twice. what am i doing wrong?
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 6 years ago.
Just to verify you are hardwired (with ethernet cable) plugged into the router, correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes. i just tried it for a third time and still got the same outcome.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what else can i do? what am i doing wrong?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 6 years ago.
Apologize about the delay. Based on the information you have provided, if a hard reset is performed correctly and does not correct the issue; you will need to replace your router.

This is proved by the WiFi light "not coming on" and the inability to connect via ethernet cable.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.