D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience:  5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)
19897260

Just purchased an Acer Aspire 5251-1513. It can see my wireless

Customer Question

Just purchased an Acer Aspire 5251-1513. It can see my wireless home network but it cannot connect.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

What model of router do you have? Are you prompted for a password XXXXX you attempt to join? Any error messages?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The router is a Linksys WRT54G and I do enter a password.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

OK the first thing to check is to make sure we are using the right password. Can you please try the instructions below to make sure?

1. Open your Internet browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, etc) and go to http://192.168.1.1/.
  2. When prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password. These are the default values and may not work on your router. Please let me know if they do not.
  3. When the router's configuration opens, click on the Wireless tab. Here you wireless network name will be displayed in the SSID box. Make sure this name matches the network you are trying to join.
  4. Next click on the Wireless Security sub-tab. Here your password XXXXX be displayed in plain text. If you are using WEP, it will be listed in the Key #1 box. If you are using WPA, it will be listed in the Pre-Shared Key box (may also be called the Passphrase box).
  5. Enter that password XXXXX your computer when prompted and you should get connected to your network.

If you verify that you are using the correct password XXXXX it still doesn't work, please let me know the version number of your WRT54G (should be on a sticker on the bottom of the unit). Some versions require a firmware update to work with Windows 7. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed all of the steps, confirmed network name and password. I have three other PC's all running Windows 7 and they all connect automatically at startup.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.
Interesting. Any error message when you try to join or does it just go back to the network list with no change?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It just says unable to connect to the network and suggests using the troubleshooter.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

Please try downloading the updated driver for your wireless card from here:

http://tiny.cc/qnfri

Click the link above and save the ZIP file to your desktop. Right click the file and choose Extract. Go into the folder it produces and double click the WLAN_Setup.exe file to begin the install.

Let me know if that doesn't help!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The installation said the new hardware wizard would automatically appear. That didn't happen. Still can't connect.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.
OK I will have to opt out then since I am out of ideas. I will pass this along to another tech and hopefully they will be able to help you out. Thanks and sorry I wasn't more help!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The installation said the new hardware wizard would automatically appear. That didn't happen. Still can't connect. Are we still connected?
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.
Yes we are still connected. I am out of ideas though and I have referred this question to others so that they can assist you. Hopefully they will contact you soon, but you will get an email when they do so you don't have to stay on the JustAnswer page if you don't want.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you think uninstalling the network device and rebooting and installing again would help.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

Yes that might be worth a shot. Here are the instructions in case you need them:

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press R to bring up the Run window.
  2. Type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
  3. In the Device Manager, click the triangle next to Network Adapters.
  4. Right click the Wireless Network Adapter and choose Uninstall. Click thru the warning and then reboot.
  5. When the computer comes back up the adapter should automatically reinstall.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I uninstalled the network device and rebooted. Same result. Still can't connect to the network.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.
OK just hang tight and hopefully another tech will pick up this thread soon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found that I can connect to all computers on my network and view documents, photo's, etc., but I cannot connect to the Internet.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

That's a different situation then (and it make more sense).

Please check the following:

1. Open Internet Explorer and wait for the Page Cannot Be Displayed Message.
  2. Click on Tools -> Internet Options.
  3. Click on the Connections tab.
  4. Click the LAN Settings button.
  5. Make sure all three checkboxes are CLEARED.
  6. CLick OK and then restart Internet Explorer.

Let me know if that doesn't do it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After a few minutes looking at the other computers, I realized the reason I could connect to the other computers was because I connected the new laptop to the router with an ethernet cable. As soon as I unplugged the cable my connection to the other computers was lost.

All three boxes in the LAN settings are unchecked.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.
Oh OK. Alright let me see if I can get someone else involved again.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
When you were plugged in via the lan cable..

You should have been able to get internet.. Maybe its a wireless / non wireless conflict.

Lets try this , turn off your wireless on the outcast computer that wont connect.

then..

try this..on the computer..

click start, all programs, accessories, then right click command prompt, and then click run as administrator..

then.. when the command prompt opens..

Type in

ipconfig /flushdns ( hit enter )

ipconfig /release ( hit enter )

netsh winsock reset ( hit enter )

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt ( hit enter )

once you have run all these.. restart the computer.

Then, connect the computer via the ethernet cable..

and try to access the internet.. let me know exactly what happens.. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I guess I am missing something here. With the eathernet cable connected I am connected to the Internet and the wireless network, but if I unplug the cable I cannot connect to anything wireless. I'm not being negative, but I am very frustrated. I bought the laptop yesterday, Acer said it is a software conflict and not hardware so they can't help me. I turned off the firewall. Powered off/on the cable modem and the router and checked wireless names and passwords and everything is correct. Connecting an eathernet cable to a laptop is not the reason you buy a laptop. I know this is not my fault or your fault, we are just trying to work through it. What do you recommend next?
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. but we can connect to the internet now via the ethernet..

So.. im thinking, we have one step left.. disabling tcp ipv6

follow the instructions in this link.. and you should be able to connect and use the wireless network

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-disable-ipv6-in-windows-7/

( this is a common procedure with some windows 7 computers to get them to work wirelessly)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed the steps and disabled ipv6 and still cannot connect to the the wireless network.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, please describe cannot connect for me.

Can you not see the wireless network at all?

If you can see it, what happens when you click connect?

does it connect, but not give internet access..??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can see the network and the signal strength is excellent. When I click on the networks icon to connect I get the message "Windows was unable to connect to MEDIAGUEST" which is my home network. Since I disabled ipv6 the connection dialogue window no longer has the automatic connection check box and does not ask for a password. I tried to manually connect to network using Network and Sharing Center, entered the password XXXXX got the same message, "Windows was unable to connect to MEDIAGUEST"
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. thanks..

one more question.. you are using security on the network?

I would like to try something.. I would like to reset the router and make it un secured.

just to test..

to do so.. look on the back of the router.. there is a small reset button

http://sites.google.com/site/technicallyeasy/linksys-reset.png

once its reset.. try to connect again..

let me know what happens.. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Same thing happens, "Windows was unable to connect to MEDIAGUEST"
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, on the computer that we disabled tcp ipv6

you didnt disable tcp ipv4 by mistake did you/?

lets do this.. lets system restore to the day before we did the changes. and then test again on the unsecure router.

to system restore

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore..

We want to choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issues started..

Carry out the restore. the computer will restart, then let me know if that fixed the issue or not..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm burning Factory Default Discs on the computer. It will be about 20 minutes before I can restore.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok..

I think the restore you mentioned is a full restore. Which yes.. is a good idea of course.. but a little extreme..

the system restore i mentioned, will only restore it to a few days ago.

Factory default disks will make it like brand new ( but remove everything personal, pictures, documents, etc in the process)

In truth, a factory restore is definitely better.. But we normally reserve that till later as you need to save your documents pictures, etc, first.

but if thats the route you want to go.. Theres no issue with that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are no documents, personal data, etc., I bought the computer two days ago and have not done anything with it except try to connect to the network.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
ok.. once you have the factory restore disks built..

save them..

Since its an acer.. and you want to factory restore it.. Lets use tehe built in method..

Shut the computer down, and then start it..

immediately start tapping alt and f10 at the same time..

This will load the acer factory restore program, Which is fast and quick..

When its restored.. you should be able to connect to to the network.. Let me know what happens after the restore.. And if it wont connect.. dont change any settings yet..

Just let me know exactly what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried Alt F10 several times and I get Windows Boot Option, not the Acer Factory Default Program.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I restored the computer to default factory settings and I still cannot connect to my home network.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
You did say you just got this computer?

lets try one more thing.. and after these connecting suggestions.. if it doesnt work.. theres something wrong with the Pc..

first.. even though you factory restored. lets reload the wireless lan driver..

Here is the download link.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Atheros_9.0.0.163_W7x86W7x64_A.zip?acerid=634078707544211987&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire%205251&OS=722&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_7

its direct from Acer..

Please download, and then , once downloaded.. run it to install it..

once installed, restart the computer.. and let me know if it will connect..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have done this already. The Atheros Wireless LAN will not install because it stays the device is not installed or is unplugged. The wireless device on the computer is Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Hmm..

Im going to have to go with..

I would return this PC while it is still under its warranty with whatever retailer you bought it from..

The wireless card is bad..

if returning it is not an option. and you still need wireless..

might i suggest this easy option. its wireless N , which is the newer technology, and is only 20

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=usb+wireless&cid=11616125713579482133&ei=ZHFPTM7rGpaoiATsi7DLBQ&sa=title&ved=0CEcQ8wIwBDgA#p

Personally, i would return it immediately and get a replacement.. You just have a bad Card installed, and a new computer should work..
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience: 5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)