James, Sr. Network Administrator
Experience:  Highly experienced with wireless networks and wireless equipment, LAN and networking protocols

How do I reboot my netgear router

How do I reboot my netgear router?
Category: Networking
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
James :

Hi

James :

It is quite simple to reboot - unplug it for 10 seconds, then plug it back in.

Customer:

I unplugged it for 10 seconds and it is not up. The power light and the light showing the computer is plugged in are the only lights on.

James :

Well, I assure you it rebooted. The problem must be something else.

James :

Would you like to try and restore it to factory defaults?

Customer:

What are the factory defaults?

James :

It will basically make the router as if it just came out of the box. Reset all the settings inside to the way they were when it was first connected.

Customer:

ok

James :

To do this reset, you stick a paperclip in the reset hole in the back, and hold it in for 30 seconds (while power is still connected).

James :

Then let go, and let the router a minute to boot.

Customer:

It is in the same status. I

Customer:

I'm trying again.

James :

Okay. Perhaps you can explain to me what you are trying to do ? I'll try to help.

James :

Okay.

Customer:

I pushed in the reset hole in the back with a paperclip for 30 or more seconds and then I let go. The light on the check button came on and the blue light inside, but after that only the power button and where the computer is plugged in are on.

James :

Okay, and what are you trying to achieve?

Customer:

I'm trying to achieve the wireless connection.

James :

Okay. Is this a new router?

Customer:

no, purchased in 2007

James :

And did it ever work for you?

Customer:

Yes, worked perfect until Wednesday of this week.

James :

On the computer connected to the router, please click Start, type CMD and hit enter.

James :

In the black window type: ipconfig

James :

what did you get?

Customer:

I am not connected to the router right now because I cannot get to the internet, I am connected directly to the modem and when I type in ipconfig I get a information such as ethernet adapter local area connection

James :

I would like to get the output when you are, in fact, connected to the router.

Customer:

So, if I connect to the router, then I will lose the I/E connection, is there a way around this?

James :

That's not a problem. You can come back to JustAnswer.com, click My Questions, and reply to me. You will see this question there.

Customer:

ok

James :

I will close this chat window, and convert it to a question/answer mode, so you can reply to me when you get back online.

James, Sr. Network Administrator
Experience: Highly experienced with wireless networks and wireless equipment, LAN and networking protocols
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Please write to me when you come back, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi James,
Sorry for the delay.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
No worries, and thank you!