Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

my slingbox will not connect to my home network

Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Is this over a wired or wireless connection?

Can you tell me the brand and model number of your router please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a wired connection to my linksys wireless N router...... wrt610n
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Thank you - is there a specific model to your Slingbox, like Solo, Pro or AV?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes.....it is the Pro HD
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

During your setup, there is supposed to be a network cable from the Slingbox to the router - once that was done, did you try reinstalling the software at that point? It should be fairly automatic.

If not, try reinstalling once more, then if still nothing, try another cable.

When you say it won't connect to your network - can you give me a bit more detail on that and what you mean? Is it to stream to another device on your network?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, there is a cable between the two, but i cant install any software on my computer until it recognozes it on the network , which it doesnt. The instructions say that the network light on the front will be lit up when its connected , but it will not come on . when i go to install teh software on my pc , it says my slingbox is not detected, so i cant go any further
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

If the light is not on, this may indicate a faulty ethernet cable or the wrong type. Do you have another you can try temporarily, even if it means moving the Slingbox next to the router?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i ve tried 3 different ethernet cables......
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

What is the brand and model number of your modem given to you by your service provider?

Also, is your Linksys WRT160N a version 1, 2 or 3?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My modem is from charter....its says UBEE D3.0 on the front

I believe my router has version 1

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Okay - let's upgrade the firmware of the router - this may be why the slingbox is not recognized.

Save this file to your desktop - this should be done over a wired connection, not wireless:

Firmware

Once it is save, open Internet Explorer and enter this address:

http://192.168.1.1/

A login screen will appear - leave the username blank and enter admin for the password. Once logged in, click Administration, then Firmware Upgrade.

Select your downloaded file, then Upload. The router will restart and can't be interrupted while the upgrade is happening.

Once the router restarts, and you are back online, press and hold the rest button on the back with a pen for 15 seconds, then release.

When you are back online, try the Slingbox software again. Any luck?

With the reset, wireless settings are erased - use these steps to set them up again:

Login to the router again.

Click Wireless at the top of the page. Change the Network Name (SSID) to anything you would like, just something unique that you have not used before - this will be the name of your wireless network. It's best to not have any spaces in the network name.

Next, click Wireless Security in the submenu just below Wireless. Change the security mode to WPA-Personal. You will see a passphrase/pre-shared key box - this is your wireless password. Enter a password XXXXX at least 8 characters, then save the settings.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Damn, the firmware upgrades keeps going to about 18% done.....then says update failed. ive done it several times
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Try just the reset part of the router, then connect the slingbox and power it on.

Is it recognized that way?

Edited by Kevin on 6/24/2010 at 4:56 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i couldnt get it to reset with the pen, i just unplagged it for 30 secs and then plugged it back in. then i reset the sligbox and the network light comes on then turns off....same result
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
The reset is different than unplugging it. Did the reset of the router not work? When resetting, the router show flash the lights on the front and reboot.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it didnt work
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Disable any security software and firewalls you have on your computer temporarily. Is it recognized after that?

Edited by Kevin on 6/24/2010 at 5:22 AM EST
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its new....i just bought it today
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Frustrating...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
firewall is turned off...i tried that too
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Can you try the reset button on the back of the Slingbox once? If this does not work, I will open this question up to other experts for you...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i v tried it several times
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Okay - I am going to opt out, but keep researching for you.

If you can, when logged into your router, there is a firmware version at the top right corner. Could you tell me what yours is? This connection could be firmware related and if the version number (1) isn't right, that could be why the upgrade failed...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the version says 1.00.00 B18
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Try this firmware upgrade instead - once it's done, reset the router and check for connectivity again:

Firmware Upgrade

I bet this gets it...

Edited by Kevin on 6/24/2010 at 5:44 AM EST
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience: Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dude ................your the man.it worked and detected it
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Nice - have fun with it! Just in case you would like to set up your wirless network again - here are the steps:

Login to the router again.