Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Technician with years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

HOW DO I SECURE A T-MOBILE LINKSYS BROADBAND ROUTER NETWOR

Customer Question

HOW DO I SECURE A T-MOBILE LINKSYS BROADBAND ROUTER NETWORK?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
click on start and then run.
Type in cmd and then click on ok.
Type this exactly as I have it including symbols and spaces.
ipconfig /all
Then look for something that says default gateway.
Use the number where you would normally type http://www.google.com
It should end up being something like 192.168.1.1
Then for the username leave it blank and password XXXXX admin
Look for the wireless tab and click on it then on wireless security (or just security)
Here you can set a wep passphrase which will act as a password XXXXX your network and secure the network

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click “Accept”.

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back are appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dimmu,

When I enter the gateway #, I am getting request to provide user name and password.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
For the username leave it blank and password XXXXX admin
(if it is not this and you got it from T-mobile you may have to call them for the username and password)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dimmu,

Apologize....I have found the security tab, but not seeing anything about WEP.

There are only 2 options under security:
Filter

VPN Passthrough
Should PPPoE Passthrough be enabled? It is disabled but IPSec Passthrough and

PPTP Passthrough are both enabled. Don't see anyplace to insert passphrase.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
I think you may be on the wrong tab. Please check to see if there is a wireless/wireless security tab instead. If not please give me the routers model number so that i can help you better.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dimmu,

I know we'll get there....there will be a bonus for you....and positive feedback.

T-Mobile Linksys Broadband Router Model # RT31P2

Thanks,

Dave

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
Ok thank you very much it was wireless then wireless security. Please follow this guide to set up a wep passphrase: Click Here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dimmu,

The model I gave you (attached to my gateway) is NOT T-Mobile Linksys Broadband Router Model # RT31P2.

It is model WRT54G-TM......

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
I apologize I just looked further into your device and am not sure how I missed this. Your router does not have the option to set up a secured network. The reason for this is that it does not support wireless. Since it does not support wireless no one else can connect to it unless they plug a cable directly into it. That is why the wireless>wireless security tab is missing from the page.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dimmu,

I USED to have a model RT31P2 but now have model WRT54G....it is listed as wireless......

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
Ok I just want to make sure I have this right now Laughing
You used to have a RT31P2 but now have a WRT54G and want to secure the WRT54G correct?

If thats the case log into the default gateway. Then at the top click on wireless next to security. Then under that new tabs will pop up from there click on wireless security and you can set up the wep passphrase there.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When I enter `192.168.15.1', it takes me to a google page.....When I go run, cmd, ipconfig/all, the default gateway is now empty? !

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
Try going here: Click Here
Then for the username leave it blank and password XXXXX admin.
Then at the top click on wireless next to security.
Then under that new tabs will pop up from there click on wireless security and you can set up the wep passphrase there.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
192.168.1.1 gets me :

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems

More information More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

• Internet connectivity has been lost.
  • The website is temporarily unavailable.
  • The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
  • The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
  • There might be a typing error in the address.
  • If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

1. Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

1. Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
  2. Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
Ok click on start and then on run.
Type in cmd and then press enter on ythe keyboard.
Type in
ipconfig /all
Make sure both the space and the / are there and then press enter
Please let me know what it says next to default gateway when you do this
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

In ethernet section, default gateway = 192.168.0.1

In adapter section, there is nothing indicated for default gateway

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
Ok thank you Try going to this one: Click Here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is not accepting admin as password.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
Try using admin for both. Then try leaving the username blank and using administrator as the password. If that is not it you need to contact whoever set up the router initially and ask them what it would be. Or you could unplug it and hold the pin hole reset in the back for at least 60 seconds to put it back to default. The default for this router is username being blank and the password XXXXX admin.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dimmu,

I have to get to 3PM appointment.

Can we continue later?

Dav
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
That's no problem please bookmark or favorite this page so that you can get back to me.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will do. Thanks!
Dave.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
your welcome