Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

Hi I recently purchased the CISCO Linksys E1000 Wireless Router,

Hi I recently purchased the CISCO Linksys E1000 Wireless Router, and it won't connect.

I have AT&T DSL, and at first it worked just fine, then it wouldn't connect at all.

I've configured the PPoE Settings, and a few others..

Is there anything i'm doing wrong?

Also, my Email to contact me isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

When you connect directly to the AT&T modem with your computer, not using the router, does your internet connection work?

If so, can you tell me the brand and model number of the modem please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it works fine with the default ADSL AT&T Modem, via Modem to PC using an Ethernet Cable.

However, LinkSys's e1000 is supposed to support regularly any type of modem, especially the common ones like the model I use.

Linksys E1000 Model.

What i'm attempting is to use my PS3, while still having ethernet in my laptop.

The Ps3 has read it before, so I know it works.

The problem is something with the Modem, and the Router.

I hope this further assists you.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
It does...

There is a conflict between the Linksys router and the AT&T - they both share the same network address/IP Address, so when they are connected together, they don't cooperate.

You can change the address of the Linksys and everything will work. Here are the steps to do this, including wireless security. During the setup, only the router and a computer will be connected together - not the modem:

Power off the modem and pc. Connect the pc with an ethernet cable to one of the 4 ethernet ports on the back of the router. The modem should not be connected at this point. Disconnect it if it is currently connected.

With power still on to the router, press and hold the reset button on the back of the router with a pen for 15 seconds, then release. Power off the router.

Wait one minute, then power on the router. Wait one more and power on the pc. Open Internet Explorer and enter this address:

http://192.168.1.1

A login screen will appear - use this login:
username:

password: admin

(There is no username - leave it blank.)

You should now be inside the setup of the router.

Click Wireless - change the network name (SSID) to something different - this will be the name of your network. Save the settings at the bottom of the page.

Click Wireless Security, just below Wireless. Change the security mode to WPA2-Personal. A box labeled pre-shared key/passphrase will appear - this is your wireless password. Enter anything you would like, just make sure it is at least 8 characters in length. Save the settings.

Now, the important part - click the Setup tab - find the Local IP Address and change it from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.5.1. Save the settings and power off the pc and router.

Reconnect the modem to the ethernet port of the router, then power it on - wait 60 seconds.

Power on the router - wait 60 seconds

Power on the pc

Everything should work together at this point. If you have any wireless devices, connect to the network name you made, then enter the password XXXXX prompted.

If you aren't quite sure about the wireless connection, let me know what devices you would like to connect and I can provide instructions.

Edited by Kevin on 6/21/2010 at 5:46 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try this immediately.

Although I'm a bit worried that it might not work.

If this works, you will have my undying grattitude. (As well as my neighbors) !

I will get back to you momentarily, as i'm going to try this now.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
I am confident it will work :)

Best of luck!

Edited by Kevin on 6/21/2010 at 6:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, well, that didn't work, at all. =(

I tried everything that was in your directions.

The error on the router connecting to the modem for the internet access was:

Error: Could not get internet from PPoE.

The PPoE Username and Password XXXXX correct, as I logged into mail not even 10 seconds ago.

It doesn't work, at all. :(
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Okay - because of the way we are setting up the router, the PPPoE settings aren't necessary. If the router was reset, it shouldn't be asking for them.

When we reset the rotuer, it changes everything to automatic, bypassing the PPPoE part.

When you reset the router, were you able to log into it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I was able to log into the router, and change what was needed.

Then, I did the restart, of my PC, Router, and Modem, (Without modifying the PPoE Settings, as it was at default).

Logged into it, changed the settings, did the restart, and it would not connect to the internet, much less provide a connection, period.

As I used Command Prompt, Typed:

IPConfig

Recieved:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Nothing connected.

So, I tried adding PPoE w/ Username and Password:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.103
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1

Still, not able to access Internet.

Then, I just unplugged my ethernet cord from the router, plugged it back into the modem, and into my pc, (Direct line, Modem to PC)

And it worked. (Well, my basic connection I already had at least).

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Okay - let's change a couple of things to get this working.

What is the brand and model number of the modem given to your by your service provider?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, that's another problem. I have the model # XXXXX brand, but I don't have the modem access code, as it's fairly old, so i'm not able to alter modem settings.

Brand: Motorola

Model #:MSTATEA
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
That makes it difficult, huh?

Regarding your PPPoE settings - are they entered in at the router or on the computer's internet connection?

What I mean is when you originally set up your connection on your computer, there is an option for a connection that is always on or one that uses PPPoE. Do you remember which you have?

The reason I ask is if the settings are entered into your computer, this could be why the router is not working. If we set the connection as an always on connection, then enter the PPPoE settings into the Linksys, the connection may work.

Does that make sense? I can give steps to do this...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They're entered in on the Router Settings.

Default connection is Connection that is always on.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Okay - is the modem access code printed on the bottom of the modem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was printed on the bottom of the modem, however that was quite some time ago, and the code had rubbed off completely.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Okay - there are only a few ways to get this to work - here they are:
  1. Bridge the modem and enter the PPPoE information into the router - the access code is needed.
  2. The steps from above should work - I'm not sure exactly why they are not.
  3. Request a new modem from AT&T, or replace it some other way.
Ideally, the PPPoE settings should be entered into the router, but an adjustment to the modem needs to happen, like what is mentioned in this link:

http://burrowowl.net/wordpress/200803/pppoe_on_motorola_2210-02/

If the modem can't be accessed, the router needs to be set up like it is on a different network, like we did earlier.

If you connect the computer directly to the router and log back into it at the new address: http://192.168.5.1 - is the very top box set to Automatic Configuration - DHCP? This is the setting that it needs to be to make it work.

Would you mind doublechecking it? The computer may need to be restarted once connected to the router to get to the login page.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it was initially set to DHCP Automatic Configuration.

But we didn't have any luck with it, so I had tried setting it to PPoE.

And it doesn't need to be restarted to access it, I just have to switch the router back on, and plug in the ethernet cable, etc.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Alright...

At this point, everything is pointing to the modem and something needs to be done with it. Is it possible to get ahold of AT&T and see if they can get you logged into it? If the modem can't be logged into, it will need to be replaced.

They may be able to get the access code with the serial number.

If you can get it, change your Linksys to PPPoE and enter your settings, then bridge the modem with the steps from this link:

Once that is done, the connection will work. The 2210-02 is your model number, by the way if you need it for reference...
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience: Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just got off the phone with AT&T, they'll be sending me a new modem, and told me basically the same thing you did. :))<br /><br />So, thank you for your help. <br /><br />And thank you for providing the modem number. I've been up for 48 hours, designing a website for a client of mine that I host, so i'm a bit groggy. :P<br /><br />If you ever need Hosting, Feel free to contact me:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX <br /><br />Have a good one!<br /><br /><br />Also:<br /><br />Even though the problem hasn't been solved, I'm still going to accept it, because you tried so hard to help me out.<br /><br />:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
I will keep your hosting info - thank you. I do some web design too and understand how tiring it can be.

Best of luck to you and thank you!

When you get your new modem, setting it up in bridge mode would be best - if you want to add this page to your favorites, I would be happy to help when you receive the modem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sure thing, have a good one, and thanks again.