D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience:  5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)
19897260

____ 1. Which of the following best describes the function

____ 1. Which of the following best describes the function of the network medium?
a. It provides the physical connection between networked computers.
b. It provides the protocol used to transmit data between end systems.
c. It passes data between two routers.
d. It processes electrical or light signals and converts them to data.

____ 2. What type of network is typically confined to a small geographic area, such as a single room, floor, or building?
a. WAN
b. LAN
c. MAN
d. CAN

____ 3. Which type of cable and connector is used to attach a television set to a cable television (CATV) network?
a. A fiber-optic cable and a Straight Tip (ST) connector
b. A coaxial cable and a Bayonet-Neill-Concelman (BNC) connector
c. A twisted-pair cable and an RJ-45 connector
d. A coaxial cable and an F-type connector
e. An AUI cable and a vampire tap connector

____ 4. Which cable type is typically configured in a star topology, uses eight copper conductors arranged in four pairs, and uses RJ-45 connectors?
a. RG-8
b. Twisted-pair
c. RG-58
d. Fiber-optic

____ 5. Which communication method requires separate channels for simultaneously transmitting and receiving data without collisions?
a. Half-duplex
b. Full-duplex
c. Biplex
d. Dual channel

____ 6. Which of the following features can network interface adapters use to automatically configure themselves to run at an agreed-upon speed and duplex mode?
a. Link negotiation
b. Speed negotiation
c. Autonegotiation
d. Media Access Control (MAC) negotiation

____ 7. You are a software developer. You have the task of creating an application that provides guaranteed delivery of information between end system applications. What layer of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model and what type of protocol must you implement?
a. Data-link layer; connectionless
b. Network layer; connection-oriented
c. Transport layer; connection-oriented
d. Application layer; connection-oriented

____ 8. Which of the following organizations is responsible for developing the 802 series of standards for data-link layer and physical layer protocols?
a. Telecommunication Standardization Sector of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU-T)
b. Comité Consultatif International Télégraphique et Téléphonique (CCITT)
c. American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
d. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
e. International Organization for Standardization (ISO)

____ 9. Which layer of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model adds both a header and footer (creating a frame) to the information that is passed down from an upper layer?
a. Physical
b. Data-link
c. Network
d. Transport
e. Session

____ 10. Use your understanding of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model and of protocol layers and their functions to answer the following question. Assume that you have a small internetwork consisting of three separate network segments. One of these segments is an Ethernet segment, and the other two are Token Ring segments. Identify the layer of the OSI model and the device that are concerned with connecting these segments and passing information from the Token Ring segment to the Ethernet segment, and identify the function that this layer might need to perform before transmitting across different networks.
a. Transport layer; Internet Protocol (IP) addressing and acknowledgments
b. Application layer; hub and Media Access Control (MAC) addressing
c. Data-link layer; hub and Media Access Control (MAC) addressing
d. Session layer; router and Internet Protocol (IP) addressing
e. Network layer; router and fragmentation

____ 11. What layer of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model is responsible for dialog control between two communicating end systems?
a. Physical
b. Data-link
c. Transport
d. Session
e. Application

____ 12. You are a network administrator for a company that is planning to open a small branch office in Idaho. The company has engaged a consultant to design the local area network (LAN) for the new office, and your supervisor has asked you to review the design submitted by the consultant. The documentation for the new network calls for the installation of 20 Ethernet workstations, all of which will be connected to a single Ethernet LAN. The consultant states in the document that “a broadband network is necessary, to enable all of the workstations to coexist on the same packet switching network,” and then calls for the installation of coaxial cable, “a broadband medium that is more than capable of supporting the communications of 20 workstations, as demonstrated in any home with cable television.” After reading the document, you immediately call your supervisor and recommend that the company find a new consultant. Which of the following are valid reasons for this conclusion?
a. Ethernet does not run on coaxial cable.
b. A broadband medium is not necessary to support multiple workstations on a packet switching network.
c. Cable television networks do not use broadband signaling.
d. Coaxial cable does not support broadband signaling.

____ 13. You have been hired to design and implement a network. The client has a small number of users in a single office location. The client wants to use a topology that runs at 100 megabits per second (Mbps) and allows new systems to be added easily to the network. The client is concerned with cost and maintenance issues, such as cable failures that would cause the network to go down. Given this scenario, which of the following would you recommend to the client?
a. A bus topology using coaxial cable
b. A star topology using twisted-pair cable
c. A full mesh topology with fiber-optic cable
d. A ring topology with twisted-pair cable

____ 14. You have been hired by a corporation to design and implement a single local area network (LAN) for its manufacturing plant. The manufacturing division uses sophisticated equipment to produce circuit boards. The controllers that manage the manufacturing equipment require a deterministic network topology that isn’t subject to collisions in order to guarantee access to the communication channel. The LAN needs to support a data rate of 100 megabits per second (Mbps) and provide a backup path for communication if there is a physical layer failure. Which of the following solutions best meets this corporation’s needs?
a. Install a Fast Ethernet network configured as star topology and use Category 5 (CAT5) or Category 6 (CAT6) cable (which support 100 Mbps) for the LAN.
b. Install a Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI) ring network configured in a double ring topology and use fiber-optic cabling for the LAN.
c. Install a Token Ring network configured as a ring topology and use shielded twisted-pair (STP) type 1 and 6 cabling for the LAN.
d. Install a Fast Ethernet network configured as a linear bus topology and use Category 3 (CAT3) cable for the LAN.

____ 15. While replacing a light fixture in the office building housing Contoso, Ltd., a maintenance worker accidentally severs a network cable in the drop ceiling. Contoso uses a variety of local area network (LAN) technologies throughout the structure, but on that particular floor there are three separate LANs: a 10-node thin Ethernet LAN using coaxial cable in a bus topology, a 25-node Fast Ethernet LAN using twisted-pair cable in a star topology, and a 5-node Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI) LAN using fiber-optic cable in a double ring topology. Without knowing which of the LANs the severed cable belongs to, what is the maximum number of computers that will be directly affected by the cable break?
a. 0
b. 1
c. 5
d. 10
e. 25

____ 16. Which of the following topologies broadcasts transmitted signals to all end systems connected to a central device using twisted-pair cabling?
a. Bus
b. Star
c. Full mesh
d. Wireless
e. Ring

____ 17. Which of the following topologies is usually physically configured as a star using a central hub, but logically operates as a ring?
a. Bus
b. Star
c. Full mesh
d. Full star
e. Ring

____ 18. You have been hired to install network cabling for a small private company with 15 employees who need to share files and printers. All employees are physically located within the same building in two separate office spaces directly adjacent to each other, sharing a common wall and door for access. Both offices have drop ceilings with ceiling tiles. Your client wants a simple, fast [100 megabit-per-second (Mbps)] network installation that’s easy to troubleshoot. In addition, your client wants to keep installation costs to a minimum. From the following list, select the combination of topology, cable type, and installation method that best meets your client’s needs.
a. Star topology, fiber-optic cabling, and internal installation
b. Ring topology, coaxial cabling, and external installation
c. Full mesh topology, fiber-optic cabling, and external installation
d. Star topology, coaxial cabling, and external installation
e. Star topology, twisted-pair cabling, and external installation

____ 19. What is the main function of the Media Access Control (MAC) mechanism?
a. To convert hexadecimal data to binary
b. To provide a common data frame to communicating systems
c. To perform error detection and correct segment errors
d. To regulate access to the network medium

____ 20. What network interface adapter feature enables you to power up a computer remotely?
a. Remote initialize
b. Wake on LAN
c. Boot on LAN
d. LAN remote boot

____ 21. Which of the following switch types immediately forwards frames after looking at only the destination address?
a. Cut-through
b. Source route
c. Store-and-forward
d. Destination switch

____ 22. Review the following illustration. Station A is sending a message to Station B.

If you examined the contents of the frame as it traveled across Segment 1, what would the source and destination Media Access Control (MAC) addresses be?
a. The source MAC address would be AA, and the destination MAC address would be 22.
b. The source MAC address would be BB, and the destination MAC address would be 11.
c. The source MAC address would be AA, and the destination MAC address would be 11.
d. The source MAC address would be AA, and the destination MAC address would be BB.

____ 23. Review the following illustration. How many collision domains and broadcast domains exist in the network diagram?

a. There are three collision domains and three broadcast domains.
b. There are one collision domain and three broadcast domains.
c. There are one broadcast domain and three collision domains.
d. There are no collision domains and only one broadcast domain.

____ 24. Which of the following statements about full-duplex communication is not true?
a. All devices attached to a full-duplex segment must support full-duplex communication.
b. Only the transmitting device must support full-duplex communication.
c. Full-duplex communication is not subject to collisions.
d. Full-duplex communication does not use the Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD) access control method.

____ 25. Which of the following statements about hubs is not true?
a. They are data-link layer devices that connect network devices in a star or ring topology.
b. They are physical layer devices that connect network devices in a star or ring topology.
c. They amplify and repeat signals received through one port out all other ports regardless of the destination.
d. Token Ring hubs are multistation access units (MAUs). MAUs can be joined together through dedicated Ring In (RI) and Ring Out (RO) ports to build a larger ring.
e. Hubs provide internal crossover circuits and use uplink ports to form a hierarchical star.
Category: Networking
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a member of the expert community here..

When do you need this completed by?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Dustin,
This is the study guide for my 1st major exam. The test is next tuesday, and I would like thi done by Sunday so I have 2 days to study before my test. Thanks and let me know.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
I will have it done by friday night. To give you extra time..

I assume you want me just to fill in the blanks with the correct answer
...
Is this acceptable?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah thats fine. This is just part of the study guide, the rest are essay and True False, which I am working on now. Friday night would be great! I have a lot of material to cover before my test. Thanks again Dustin
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome..

Will message you soon with the results.. ( could possibly be earlier if i have time to do so tonight )

No matter what though done by friday early evening..

Oh yea.. im on eastern standard time as well.. ( east coast US )

Just wanted you to know that way were not thinking friday night is different times!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, will do! Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey where are the answers?
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Will post them within two hours.. My computer died the other night.. i wrote it out on my fiances computer.. shes at work and when she brings the comp back ill post the answers..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok cool, I was just confused because I got the email stating the answers were posted and then when I checked it said nothing!. LOL, thanks
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
No problem..Thats just a automatic reminder that goes out every few days..

i will post the answers as soon as i can..

Thanks for understanding..
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
1.. D.. It processes electrical or light signals and converts them to data
2. B Lan ) local area network
3. d. A coaxial cable and an F-type connector

picture of F connector

4. b. Twisted-pair
5. b. Full-duplex
6. c. Autonegotiation
7 Transport layer; connection-oriented
8. d. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
9 b. Data-link
10. c. Data-link layer; hub and Media Access Control (MAC) addressing
11 d. Session
12 b. A broadband medium is not necessary to support multiple workstations on a packet switching network.
13 b. A star topology using twisted-pair cable
14 b. Install a Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI) ring network configured in a double ring topology and use fiber-optic cabling for the LAN.

15 d. 10
16 b. Star
17 c. Full mesh
18 a. Star topology, fiber-optic cabling, and internal installation
19 d. To regulate access to the network medium
20 b. Wake on LAN
21 a. Cut-through
22 d. The source MAC address would be AA, and the destination MAC address would be BB.
23. i need the illustration to answer this
24 b. Only the transmitting device must support full-duplex communication
25 a. They are data-link layer devices that connect network devices in a star or ring topology
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

<span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family:

Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Something is wrong with your last message.. I cannot see it

please resend.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its ok, I figured it out on my own!
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
In that case.. If your satisfied with the support you recieved.. Please click accept and leave some feedback..

Thank you for using just answer.. and if you have any further questions let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you soo much! You have been awesome! I do have a study guide that I need completed for my other Class. I have it posted here but no one has been able to help. I don't have the midterm/test for a few weeks but the study guide is 100 questions and there are like 11 or so that I can't figure out. Is there anyway you could take a look at it? I have it listed for $40 dollars.
thanks
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ive taken a look at it..

But it seems to be math and programming based.. And that isnt my area.. Id want to be very sure about it if i was going to write a study guide for you..

What i can suggest though.. is you close the original question.. And repost it in computers with just the 11 your having a hard time with..

That way. Experts will see it as a new question on their list.. and tonight is a great time to post it..

Lots of us are on right now.. and the weekend is ahead.. so you stand a good chance if gaving it done by this weekend..
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience: 5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)