Justin
Justin, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

cisco linksys ae1000 adapter wont connect to actio

cisco linksys ae1000 adapter won't connect to actiontec router on win2k3 network
Category: Networking
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Go to start, run. Type cmd hit enter.

Command prompt loads up.

Type: ipconfig /all

Hit enter.

Copy paste me the results please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : dharma

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-03-52-D3

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys AE1000 #3

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-25-9C-F0-9D-00

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.121

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

192.168.1.119

Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Do you have two computers.. Or just One?

If just one.. how are you typing to us now

A lan ( ethernet cable ) connection?

also.. could you provide the model number of the action tec router.. thanks.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Please ignore the last info request and let's continue.

From the cmd prompt, when you ping 192.168.1.1

What is the error response it gives?

Now attempt ping localhost

What is the response it gives?

Has this USB adapter worked on this network before?
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Before we start running any commands as my Junior colleague suggested..

Please verify your system.

do you have two computers.. just one?

Will we be able to speak to you on one computer if we run diagnostics on another..

Knowing what setup you have.. being familair with your system.

Is the first step in being able to help you fix your issue.

Also.... how long have you been having this issue.. It could be that a windows update came in.. and has messed up your betwork adapter.. It does happen quite often actually.

so a good start.. Just a start..

would be to do the following..

click start.. run. type in cmd and press enter..

now instead of running more diagnostic commands.. lets run a few actual fixes..

and see where this gets us

type in

ipconfig /release

hit enter

type in ipconfig /flushdns

hit enter

type in netsh winsock reset

hit enter

wait a minute or two..then type in

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

and hit enter..

now restart your computer..

and then come back to this same question.. so you dont get charged a new deposit

you may want to press control D now.. to bookmark this page..

or save the link below

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3m7wr-cisco-linksys-ae1000-adapter-wont-connect-to-actiontec-router
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience: 5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do you have two computers.. just one?

ANS: I have 6 computers on a domain (dgtloffz.biz) with 2 domain controllers (KONG W2k3 server -192.168.1.113, and NORMAN, W2K8 server -192.168.1.119) and an ActionTec M1424-WR router (DHCO server) from Verizon as the gateway (192.168.1.1) using FIOS for internet connectivity.

ANS: 4 computers have been connecting with each other and to the internet for months, no problem. The 5th is VISTA Home laptop that connects wirelessly OK.

The 6th is the problem. It's a WinXP-SP3 workstation which has had a US Robotics MAXg PCI card for wireless connection to the router. Worked intermittently. Uninstalled driver and utility. Removed card.

Replaced it 3 days ago with a CISCO Linksys AE1000 USB adapter and its driver & management utility. Says "connected". but browsing lan network fails. A hard wired CAT-5 cable was used on NETGEAR FA-331 PCI card to join workstation to domain. Worked. But I cannot keep a cable running down hallway and upstairs.Dis-joined the domain; Removed cable. Created WORKGROUP..

Used both DHCP client and fixed IP addressing. Cannot browse LAN or see any network member..

Ping fails = "host unreachable". Internet access fails.

Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Thanks..

thats exactly the type of information that i was hoping for.. well detailed..

Now i have a clear picture of your network..

Ok.. so we know the computer can connect.. As it was before with the pci card..

And you uninstalld the driver and utility on that ..

Then we replaced it with a lynksys wireless usb..

You said it says connected.. but browsing the lan network fails..

Question.. Even though it cannot browse the lan network..

Does the xp sp3 workstation connect to the internet through the adapter?

I ask this because i need to verify ..... is it just the other workgroup computers and network devices it cant see?

Or is it not connecting at all.. even though it says it is..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Even though it cannot browse the lan network..

ANS: The xp workstation cannot get to the internet without first connecting to the router (which it cannot do). The wireless adapter alone won't get it there.

The VISTA Home Premium laptop (hard-coded as 192.168.1.115) can't join the domain ("Home" version) but can connect wirelessly to the ActionTec router and access the internet. No issues.

Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Thanks..

so one has net access. but no domain.. ( vista)

and the xp has no access whatsoever..

( unless you use a lan cable)

Im going to opt out for now.. And let another expert come in..

These two issues arent easily resolved.. Or quickly.. And quickly would be the issue for me..

I assure you that we do have many capable experts here.. and with the information you have provided.. They should be able to help you sort out the issue..

If no one has fixed this. or taken the wrong approach when i return later this evening...

Then i will post some solutions myself..

Thank you for your patience..

One more thing..

If you could respond with the personal security programs on each computer..

* mcafee, norton, etc *

that will also help.. thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
VIPRE Enterprise ver 3.1.2848 client on all
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Hey there, going to take a crack at this one.

I'd like to test one thing real quick before anything else as its the fastest route to what I want to see.

Boot into safe mode with networking, attempt to connect and then ping the gateway (router) after DHCP is pulled. To boot into safe mode hit the f8 key just after the bios screen loads but before Windows starts to load. If you get stuck here just post back and I'll be more descriptive, but you seem tech savvy so I'll skip the explanation.

Let me know the results. If you've already tried this, we'll continue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

win xp-sp3 workstation booted into safe mode with networking

ipconfig /all shows Linkswys wireless NIC's hard-coded setup as usual (192.168.1.121, etc.)

ping 192.168.1.1 returns "Request timed out" 4 times. Failed 4 times.

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the previous ping error while booted normally was host unreachable.

While I realize you were able to connect hard wired without any issues, I still have reason to believe this is a software (firewall) related issue. I'm unfamiliar with how aggressive Vipre is, but are you willing to uninstall it (I don't really trust just disabling it as most of these override the default windows firewall).

This would narrow it down so we could move on. Uninstall, reboot, test ping. I'll continue to rack my brain on this one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

windows firewall turned off.

VIPRE client at XP workstation uninstalled. rebooted. checked ipconfig /all and ping 192.168.1.1.

results identical. "Request timed out" 4 times.

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Booted into normal mode, and its request timed out? Previously you posted that it was destination host unreachable.

These are two very different errors. So to confirm, did you ever have destination host unreachable?
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Also please ping your localhost

Ping Localhost

Ping 127.0.0.1

I need to gather all these details to narrow it down so bare with me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ping localhost and ping 127.0.0.1 but return replies with 32-bits pf data.

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
I noticed on your IPCONFIG list that DHCP was set to off. Is this the case?

The thing that's throwing me, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that you are able to get dhcp from your router so a communication is made and your tcp information is set properly.

Let's recap here.

Go into your Wireless network settings. Go to advanced or wireless networks. Remove all entries in there. Enable dhcp again. Double click on the network, confirm that it pulls IP information etc. With DHCP enabled give me another ipconfig log.

Also, what type of encryption are you using on the router (wep/wpa/wpa2?)
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Also, have you tried this USB adapter on a different machine to see if is functional?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, DHCP cannot give any IP information to the wireless adapter.

DHCP is "off" because I have hard-coded the network address that is suitable for the LAN network segment -- 192.168.1.aaa

Without that fixed IP, the wireless card searches for a long time then defaults to the standard alternate IP address: 169.xxx.yyy.zzz which would certainly not work.

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Ok there we go. That's what I needed. I understand that you need this to be configured to communicate with your server for DNS/domain etc, but we need to first figure out if the USB card is even working.

To my understanding, correct me anywhere I'm mistaken. When you view wireless networks you're not seeing anything at all then. The handshake needs to be made with the router before any communications can be made regardless of the IP configuration. I am NOT saying the USB adapter isn't functional but we need to probe further.

In your router, is the SSID broadcasting or not? Do you have your SSID and encryption information? (SSID network name, encryption being previously stated).

Take for example if the Vista machine is able to see the network wirelessly, and this machine isn't. There is a problem with the USB Adapter network adapter. Either configuration issues even possibly driver problems or possibly defective. Have you tried this USB adapter with a different machine?

Edited by jnayes on 6/13/2010 at 1:21 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The router is broadcasting the SSID.

I have all that: the SSID network name, 64-bit shareds WEP hexadecimal password, channel =6, etc..

ANS: Yes, the Vista machine is able to see the network wirelessly and this machine isn't. There is a problem with the USB Adapter network adapter.

Either configuration issues even possibly driver problems or possibly defective. Have you tried this USB adapter with a different machine?

ANS: No, I haven't tried the Linksys adapter in another machine.

I like your guidance and what you're thinking. I have to take my wife out to dinner right now; so I'll be away for an hour or so.

I don't know how this "JustAnswer" system works; so I will accept your answer as a good general direction so you can get paid. But I want to contiue to work with you, Is there a way we can arrange that?

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Please do not accept the answer.

I haven't actually given one yet. I know we can fix this. I'll check back often so take your time enjoy dinner and I'll talk to you soon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

YOU are a gentleman. A appreciate your willingness to stick with me on this. I'll leave this chat window open.

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good. I'll be on all night. Nursing a cold ;).

Leave my response here as the last response. When you get back just update, and we'll continue. The update will email my phone and let me know you're back.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
I have to run out for a bit, 30 min or so for food.

If you get back before I do. I'd like you to try that adapter in a different machine. Preferably one with XP, also with admin privileges for the install. Are you using the software provided on the disc with the usb adapter?

After installing, leave the default settings as DHCP on the wireless adapter.. I personally have ran 3 different server 2000/2003 domains ranging from 10 to 70 users for the last 10 years so don't worry about any changes we make.

This test is specifically to determine if the Wireless usb adapter is functioning. If it is, then this should be no problem. More details the better by the way.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Justin,

Sorry. We got back really late from dinner on Saturday. And I was away from home all day Sunday,

I have been lucky. Ot was a stupid detail.

I installed the wireless NIC inyto another computer. It too saw the wireless access point but could not connect. That made me certain there was some hand-shaking detail that was wrong. I checked everything set on the wireless NIC again and again. I tried the hex password XXXXX case & lower case. Nothing.

The problen was with the Verizon router. It was configured to set the wireless channel autonatically (the default). I had just left it alone. It worked for two other laptops just fine. I fixed the challel at #6 and rebooted the router. Tried again and the NIC connected immediately.

I said you had set me on the right track. You reminded me to double check every step down to the deepest detail. That well-known repair strategy is what resolved this mess. -- DON'T TRUST THE DEFAULT or AUTOMATIC SETTINGS. Doublr check yourv work all the way along.

Thanks. Janes XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX .

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
I'm glad you got everything functional again. If you felt my services were helpful please accept this as my answer.

However, since I didn't get it spot on, you are not required to.

Thanks =)
Justin, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience: Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Justin --

Did you get credit foec the solution?

It seemed to me that it might be going to D.Sandlin, the guy who first started the response chain, even though the "accept" was on one of your replies. Added posituve feedback and a little pourboire .for you. Plus a note that this acceptance should be going to you. Let me know.

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
No problem. I'll take it up with the CS department. They may credit it to you and advise you to reaccept, but usually you won't have to. It happens to me sometimes as I generally don't answer right away as sometimes users accidently accept fast and get upset.

I miss out on the feedback most of the time, but not a big deal, just glad the problems resolved. Learned a bit from this one, and that's worth it just for that =).

You should be all set though, don't trouble yourself. The support on the site is pretty good in my experience so far and they look over stuff carefully.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanx. Bye.