networkdoc
networkdoc, Network Administrator
Experience:  5+ years of Information Technology and Systems Experience
33059174

I have a thomson TG782T modem router via bigpond. I have an

Customer Question

I have a thomson TG782T modem router via bigpond. I have an iMAC desktop, a laptop running Windows 7, iPhone & iTouch. The wifi work well for a few months but now I cannot connect via wifi consistntly. Some days it works and other days it doesn't. I saw in one of the forums that changing the channel might be the answer. I downloaded Xirrus WiFi Inspector and it shows my bigpond connection is using channel 6. Will changing the channel help? And, if so, how do I do this?
Category: Networking
Expert:  networkdoc replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

I would have to say yes changing your channel from 6 to lets say 11 would help out. If you are using 802.11g (which I will assume you are) then you are communicating on the 2.4 Ghz band. Channel 6 is actually 2.437 GHz which is what most of the consumer telephones, and other electronic devices communicate at.

Changing to Channel 11 will put you at 2.487 Ghz which is nearly at the 2.5 Ghz line. This should help a bit. Also if you have added any new electronic devices and placed them near the router this can also cause interference and diminish the signal.

Another suggestion is to remember that wireless internet is not a line of sight signal (ie. its not like a laser beam) its a radio and there for is a dome like below
----
/ \
| |

Therefore if there is anything in that domed area that could cause interference (ie. a microwave, Wireless phone, etc.) that can also cause the signal in that area to diminish as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I change the channel?
I am sorry I missed the part on how to do so. I will lead you through it.

You need to log in to your router. To this open up an Internet browser and type in the address field: http://192.168.1.254

This should take you to the log in page.

On the log in page you will enter the following:

User name: admin
Password: (leave this blank)

Once inside the router you will then navigate to the wireless settings and you should see a drop down indicating the channel that the router is transmitting on. Change this to 11. Save the settings.

Once you have done this you will need to unplug the router, wait 60 seconds and plug the router back in.

You should then be able to connect back to the internet and the router will be on channel 11.
If the above address of 192.168.1.254 doesnt work then it will be 10.0.0.138.

The modem / router has 2 possible addresses.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The first address worked.

It doesn't seem to have made any difference. Could a printer placed near the modem affect the wifi?

Is the printer wireless?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes but when I lose the wireless connection on the computers, I lose the wireless connection on the printer also. The printer is a Cannon MP980.
Yes it is possible that the printer could have an effect on the signal. Usually though it doesnt. And yes I can see where if you lose wireless signal to the computers you definitely lose connection to the printer as it is attached to the wireless network. Also other things like metal desks, tables and filing cabinets can also cause a signal problem as the signal can bounce off them and become distorted causing connectivity issues.

Another solution that you do to determine where the weak spots in the signal are is to buy a wireless signal tester. I noticed you are in Australia and I am not too familiar with what electronics stores you have available there. I am in the states and those can be bought at places like Best Buy.

You can also purchase one online from newegg.com or tigerdirect.com.

That is my best suggestion. This will actually tell you where the signal is weak at and give you the best idea as to what might be causing the loss short of the modem being defective.

Also as a reminder if you do have to replace the modem the best channels to use are 1, 6 or 11. I prefer 1 or 11 as its on the ends of the 2.4 Ghz band helping to eliminated inter fence from other devices in the range.

I hope this has helped.
networkdoc, Network Administrator
Experience: 5+ years of Information Technology and Systems Experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
Thanks Lizzie I wish you the best.