Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

How do I connect my Lenovo Laptop to my wireless router

How do I connect my Lenovo Laptop to my wireless router? All 3 routers I own fail to work with the Lenovo..... I have truly tried everything....mostly 10 or 30 times....I brought in some talent...they got it working for about a month...Oh-f**king-boy...YeeHaaaaa
Category: Networking
Expert:  Rajesh replied 4 years ago.
hi

what is the model of your router?
and what is your service provider? IS it ATT or comcast?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

D-Link Dir-655.....same problem on Motorola and same problem on Linksys.

Service provider IS NOT ATT OR COMCAST. That's a scary STUPID QUESTION.

Service provider is Cox Communications.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

As this is a networkin gissue I will be more than happy to step in here and help you, So can you tell us what happens when you try to connect the machine to the wireless?

Do you get errors?

Can you connect?

Is it slow?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ERRORS= FAILED TO CONNECT

THREW OUT ALL OF THE LENOVO CRAP BUT STILL NO LUCK

RE-INSTALLED ALL THE LENOVO CRAP BUT STILL NO LUCK

RESET ROUTER MANY MANY TIMES...NO WIRELESS CONNECTION TO THE LENOVO LAPTOP.....

BUILT-IN "THINKVANTAGE" STUFF ABSOLUTELY USELESS...HUGE WASTE OF TIME.....I'LL BE GLAD TO PAY YOU IF YOU ACTUALLY HELP....LET'S NOT GET AHEAD OF OURSELVES HERE.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

First of all can you click start then run and type winver then hit enter and let me know what windows version you are running such as service pack 1, 2 or 3

Then can you tell me if you know what type of security you are using on the router such as WPA. WEP etc and do you know if you are using windows to manage your wireless or are you using the IBM wireless manager software?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WIN XP SERVICE PACK 3, BUILD 5.1

WPA WITH AES

IBM/LENOVO WAS MANAGING THE WIRELESS...I DID MY BEST TO THROW IT OUT...THINK I SUCCEEDED....WINDOWS NOW MANAGES

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

In that case can you open a Internet Explorer Window and type the gateway address in the following format http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page.

Wen you get to the login can you try the username admin and the password XXXXX or the username admin and 1234 for the password.

Once logged into the router can you click on the Wireless menu and change your security level to WPA2 and enter you choice of passphrase (if in doubt just use your phone number with area code up to 10 digits)

Once that is set can you save your changes and then click starrt then control panel and open network connections then double click your wireless network adapter and let me know if you can see your wireless network listed and if you can then connect with the passphrase you just set.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok so far....windows responds: "connecting to the wireless network. the following action cannot be completed: connecting to the wireless network".....

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

In that case lets try removing any left over wireless profiles that may be associated with your home network.

To do this can you click start then control panel and select Network Connections then right click your wireless network adapter and choose properties.

When the properties screen opens can you click the wireless tab and then look in the prefered networks list and find your wireless networks listing and single click it to highlight it then choose remove or hit the delete key.

Once any profiles that are associated with your home are removed can you then restart your computer and tell me what happens when you then try to connect.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've been talking to you on THE computer....how we reconnect?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

All you need to do is come back to justanswer.com and it will bring you back here or you can click on the link in any of the notification emails you should have received.

Also is this machine currently hardwired to the network when you try to connect to the wireless?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

After you restart the machine can you disconnect the networrk cable then try to connect to the wireless and then see if you can get connected, If not just reconnect the cable then restart once more and let me know what happened or what errors you received.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No wireless connection yet...wired net cable un-plugged..
"connection failed"......cannot delete the "wireless connection" icons windows says "the connection you selected cannot be deleted" wtf?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Can you log back into the router and can you change the wireless networks name then see if you can connect to the newly named network?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
renamed wireless network.....still F.U.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

can you turn off the wireless encryption on your router and let me know if you can then connect?

That way we can see if it is the wireless or your machine and proceed accordingly.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that worked...no security though, but connected wireless
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

That tells us the wireless is working, However you are probably missin a couple of windows patches to allow a high encryption level.

So at this point we can either setup the router to use a security level like WEP 128bit which is universally useable or we can try to patch your copy of windows to allow you to use WPA2 which is a higher encryption level.

Let me know what you prefer to do?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the router is wired to the desktop computer running Win 7, but the laptop with the bad behavior is Win XP SP3....does this make a difference?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

It does not make a lot of difference, Only that WPA2 is more secure so if you have a lot of neighbours you do not trust you would want to use the WPA2 option, However if you live in a normal subdivision and only need to keep your neighbours from using your wireless then WAP will be more than enough.

Let me know which you prefer and let me know the exact model number of your router from the label on the bottom.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
D-Link model Dir 655
( 192.168.0.1)
I prefer the more stringent WPA2
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Can you log into the Dlink and then choose Setup at the top and then click Launch Wireless Security Setup Wizard and enter a unique name that you have not used befre then choose the "Best"option which will enable the WPA2 option.

Then enter a passphrase you will remember sucah as your 10 digit phone number or anything you will remember easily.

Once you have gone through all the steps let me know what it says on the confirmation screen for your wireless security settings then let me know what happens when you try to connect to your newly named network with the password XXXXX just setup.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WHEN AND WHERE DOES THE DLINK ASK FOR A PASSPHRASE?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

When you select the Wireless Security Setup Wizard it will ask for an SSID (network Name) which is what it will broadcast itself as.

Next it will ask what level of security you wish to use and you want to choose Best.

Then it will ask you to enter a passphrase which will be the key you use to access the wireless on the laptop.

Page 62 of the manual will show you the steps if you would like to see screenshots http://www.scribd.com/doc/6254595/DLink-Dir655-Manual-Wireless-N-Router

Let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK...YOU DID GOOD...
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Are you all setup and connected?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes....and I might actually remember this drill......
thanks againXXX@XXXXXX.XXX