Molinari
Molinari, PC Technician
Experience:  A+ Certified, expert with networking, especially media networking.
16561526

How do i lock my Netgear wireless router Every wireless network

How do i lock my Netgear wireless router? Every wireless network in my neighborhood
is locked except ours. I use a mac, my wife a PC. I've been through my network preferences on my mac many times and have yet to be successful. Help.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
Yes, there is a password XXXXX to access the router, then the wep is set from within the router's web interface.
What is the make and model of router?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Netgear wireless router WRN2000
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
Try this:

Configuring WPA-PSK Encryption:

1. Use an ethernet cable to connect a computer to any one of the four LAN ports of the NETGEAR router.
  2. In a web browser, enter the router's IP address - either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 by default.
  3. When prompted for a Username and Password, enter the default username and password (admin; password) unless you have already changed it. NETGEAR recommends changing the default password XXXXX increase the security of your network.
  4. Select Wireless Settings from the Setup menu in the left-hand navigation bar.

NETGEAR
    View Full Image

5. Under Security Options, select WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key).
  6. Under Security Encryption (WPA-PSK) > Passphrase, enter a passphrase.
    • The passphrase may either be a string of 64 hexidecimal digits, or word/phrase of 8-63 ASCII characters.
    • SAVE or KEEP NOTE of the passphrase - it will be required to connect wirelessly to your network.
  7. Click Apply to save your settings.

Let me know if you run into any trouble....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i'm stuck.netgear not accepting my password
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
Use admin as the user
then for the password, try "password", "1234", or try leaving it blank.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
CAUGHT IN ENDLESS LOOP.STARTING OVER WITH THE "WIZARD"
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
Don't use the wzard, are you able to see this page?

NETGEAR
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
YES I HAVE FOUND THIS SETTING. PROBLEM IS THEY CONTINUE TO ASK FOR MY PASSWORD WHICH I'VE TRIED TO SET UP 6 TIMES!!
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
Click on wpa psk and make up a password XXXXX you will rememeber, then hit apply.

Then on the computer you are trying to connect wirelessly, follow these instructions.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/04/17/how-to-connect-your-os-x-mac-to-a-wireless-network/

And when it get to this:

Choose wpa and enter the password XXXXX made up for the network (the network will be named netgear, unless you changed it.)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The problem has been solved. I finally called netgear support. A reset of the modem was necessary to
fix the problem and secure the network. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
I was actually trying to avoid and use it as a last resort in case it messed up your settings....
You used the little hole on the back then?

Edited by Molinari on 6/1/2010 at 2:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did. You did a good job. I just made a few mis-steps, got flustered and decided to call netgear.

I'm not trying to beat you out of your fee. I agree to pay the $18.00 minus a 1.5% discount . Please confirm

that charge before billing my account. Thanks.
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
Sure, I'll inform the mods....