Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

How can I tell if my router is going out malfunctioning

How can I tell if my router is going out malfunctioning?
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What router brand and model do you have ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a Linksys wireless G broadband router with a 4 port switch. Model number WRT54G

What Operative System version do you have on your laptop?

Are you connected wireless right now ?

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not had problems in the past with the desktop nor the laptop. I operate with VISTA home on the desktop and the laptop. I am connect on the desktop to the modem and the router right now.

Do you use wireless security on your router ? I mea, do you need to type a password XXXXX a new computer or Ipod wants to connect to the wireless network ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, Will this information help? The Windstream Tech person told me to up my RAMs on my desktop to 1/2 to 1 GB. Will that speed up my connection to the internet on the desktop?

Ok, we can reset the router to see if the problem disappears.

And, yes, adding memory will speed up the whole computer experience, including your browsing speed, (not the connection speed, but your computer will manage the data faster, so you will browse the internet faster)

What's your computer model and brand and what's your operative system (Vista, XP, etc)

Also would you like to reset the router ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, we can reset the router. I have a Compaq Presario SR2163WM. My operating system is Windows VISTA.

Yes, 512Kb is not enough for a good performance. You can install 2GB of Ram Memory into your Compaq SR2163WM.

For example a 2GB kit (1GB x 2 modules) will be just $53.99 on crucial.com ---> http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=047E85FEA5CA7304
That would improve your computer experience a lot!

Ok, now let's reset the router BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART.

The router can be set to factory default by pressing the Reset button of the router. Pressing the Reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds will reset your router to its factory default settings.

Then turn off your computer and unplug the router from the electricity outlet for 2 minutes or so.

Turn on your computer and your wireless router.

Your wireless network name will be "linksys"

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

John, I am going to Best Buy to purchase the 2 GB of RAM Memory for the desktop computer also someone just suggested that I may neeed to upgrade my router. Because it is very slow in comparison to the newer routers.

Ok, you will need 2 memory modules of 1 GB each ONE with the following specs:

• 240-pin DIMM
  • Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300
  • 1 GB

ALso let them know the Compaq Model SR2163WM to be 100%sure

And I would try first this without buying a new router, your router is 802.11g that's not bad!

The new ones are 802.11n but the 802.11g are still good ones.

Thank you

John Cappucci

Hello, I have recevied your feedback, thank you!

How's the computer now ?

Thank you

John Cappucci