Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  21 Years experience in Support and Engineering PC/Server/Network field.
21913621

I have a new Netgear WHR3500L wireless router I have a HP Officejet

I have a new Netgear WHR3500L wireless router I have a HP Officejet Pro L7590 printer
I have the printer connected to the router by a Ethernet cable but I can't make it print
wither computer what do I need to do
I will be happy to assist you with your question, but first I need a little more information.

Has this ever worked?
Does the printer have a good IP address on the router?
Are you connecting it static? Or via DHCP?

Let me know...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
#1 No
#2 how do I find IP address on router
#3 Don't understand 3rd Ouestion
Well first, what procedure did you follow to attach the printer?

Did you just plug it in? Or did you configure anything on the printer for network?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just pluged it in
The procedure for the network setup on your printer is as follows:

1. Press the Setup button.
2. Press the arrow keys until Network is highlighted, then press OK.
3. Select Advanced Setup, then select Link Speed.
4. Press the number next to the link speed that matches your network hardware (This can be found on your router. If you don't know how to get it, first try Automatic):
• 1. Automatic
• 2. 10-Full
• 3. 10-Half
• 4. 100-Full
• 5. 100-Half

To View IP settings
• Color display: To view the IP address of the device from the control panel, press
the Setup button, select Network, select View Network Settings, and then select
either Display Wired Summary or Display Wireless Summary.
• Two-line display: To view the IP address of the device, you must print the network
configuration page.

To Change IP settings
The default IP setting for the IP settings is Automatic, which sets the IP settings
automatically. However, if you are an advanced user, you might want to manually
change the IP address, subnet mask, or the default gateway.
CAUTION: Be careful when manually assigning an IP address. If you enter an
invalid IP address during the installation, your network components will not be able
to connect with the device.
1. Press the Setup button.
2. Press the arrow keys until Network is highlighted, and then press OK.
3. Select Advanced Setup, select IP Settings, and then select Manual IP Settings.
4. Press the number next to the IP setting:
• 1. IP Address
• 2. Subnet Mask
• 3. Default Gateway
5. Enter your changes, and then press OK.

If you run into trouble here, remember that your printer can be configure to be pretty smart. Set it to automatic. Then reboot.

After that, see if you can see it on your network.

You will have to map the printer differently that a local printer. Let me know if you don't know how to do this.

_______________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positive feedback and/or a bonus is always greatly appreciated!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Under Network Set Up I only have
Print network settings
Set Link Speed
IP Settings
Restore Network Defaults

I don't understand about map the printer
OK, print out your network settings and let me know what it says.

Then I will go through the procedure for mapping a printer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

802.3 Wired
IP address 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Configuration Source DHCP
DNS server: 192.168.1.1
Link Configuration 100TX - Full
Total Packets Transmitted 28
Total Packets Received 403
OK, so to make sure your printer is on the network, try this:

Go to start > run

Type cmd

This will bring up a black command window

Type ping 192.168.1.3

Let me know the result.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ping ststestics for 192.168.1.3
Packet sent=4 Received=4 Lost=0
Approsirate Round Trip Times in milli seconds
Mimium= 0ms Max = 0ms Average =0ms
  1. From the Start menu, select Printers and Faxes.
  2. On the left side of the window, in the Printer Tasks section, click on the link for Add a Printer.

Printers and Faxes window

3. In the Add Printer Wizard window, click Next.
  4. In the Local or Network Printer window, select Local Printer. Uncheck Automatically detect and install my plug-and-play printer. Click Next.
  5. In the Select a Printer Port window, click on the drop down menu next to Use the following port. If your printer queue is listed, select it and click Next. If it is not listed in the menu, choose Create a new port. From the Type of port list, select Standard TCP/IP Port. Click Next.

Select a Printer Port window

6. In the Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard window, click Next.
  7. In the Printer Name or IP Address field, type the IP Address of your printer. The Port Name field will be automatically filled in.

Add Port window

8. Click Next.
  9. Click Finish. It may take a few moments before the next window appears.
  10. From the Manufacturers list, select the appropriate company. From the Printers list, select the model number of your printer, followed by the designation "PS" or "PostScript" (e.g., HP LaserJet 5/5M PostScript, HP LaserJet 4000 Series PS, or HP LaserJet 4050 Series PS).

If your printer model is not listed, follow the directions below to add it.

1. Download the installer for your printer:This is where you select the driver.
    2. Double-click on the installer and click Yes to extract the files to the C:\Printers folder on your computer.
    3. In the Add Printer Wizard window, click the Have Disk button below the Printers field.
    4. Click Browse.
    5. Click on My Computer in the left pane, then double-click on the C drive, then the Printers folder, then double-click the folder whose name corresponds to the model number of the printer you will be using (i.e. HP 4200 PS). You do not need to select any of the files listed, just click Open.
    6. In the Install From Disk window, click OK.
    7. Select the model number of the printer you will be using (for HP 4014 printers, select HP Universal Printing PS) and click Next.
  11. If you are asked whether you want to keep an existing driver, select Replace existing driver, then click Next.
  12. In the Printer name field, type the printer's queue name, model name, location (e.g., PSCI7A HP4300 in Wendy's Office), and double-sided or single-sided. If this is the printer you will be using most often, select Yes to use this printer as your default printer; otherwise, select No. Click Next.

Name Your Printer window

13. If you are asked whether you wish to share the printer, select Do not share this printer. Click Next.
  14. When you are asked whether to print a test page, select No.
  15. Click Next.
  16. Click Finish.
  17. You may have to wait a few seconds for the Add Printer Wizard window to disappear and it may appear frozen.
  18. If you receive a message that a Microsoft digital signature was not found, click Yes to continue the installation.
  19. To check if the printer is working correctly, go to Start > Printers and Faxes. Right-click on the newly created printer, select Properties and then click on the button for Print Test Page.

Printer Properties window

Edited by Christopher Bessler on 5/29/2010 at 12:07 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It works

Thank You
No problem.