Paul E
Paul E, Network Administrator
Experience:  26 years hands-on experience with Windows Based servers
29238732

Im trying to connect a laptop with windows XP to a netgear

Customer Question

I'm trying to connect a laptop with windows XP to a netgear wirless router DG834PN.
that is connected to an applemac canyou help me
Category: Networking
Expert:  Paul E replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Are you trying to connect your laptop wirelessly to the router or via cable?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wirelessly
Expert:  Paul E replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Make sure your wireless switch on the laptop is set to "on"

Make sure the wireless light on the router is lit.

Do you have a wireless utility set up on the laptop? If yes, start the utility and see if the netgear router is shown. If it is, select it and click connect. Tell me what happens.

If not, right click on the wireless icon on the bottom right of the screen, and select "View available networks". Is the netgear router shown?

If it is, select it and click connect. Tell me what happens

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im very sorry but I was called to do some wok, and I have just returened. If its possible to carry on I should be here for at least an hour.

I have done all the above and two things happen.
1. Wireless network box appears. I clicked on :connect" and when I click on the wireless network connection "the small monitor on the bottom right handside of the screen" It telles me I have an excellent strength signal
2. When I click on the icon that looks similar to a light house with a signal . The HP wirless assistant appears and shows ( Wireless LAN status on).

I'm a one fingered typist so my replies can take some time.
Expert:  Paul E replied 4 years ago.

Ok

Go to Start>run>cmd then press enter

type ipconfig in the window that comes up and tell me what it says under IP address and gateway

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi paul.
Ive just came back on line. I think we have a problem with time difference. I am in the north of Scotland and I assume you are in the USA. If this is correct do you know what the time difference is ?.

I am now going to carry out your instructions and will answer soon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi paul.

Ip address = 0.0.0.0.
subnet mask = 0.0.0.0.
default gateway =
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its now 12.30 pm here I,m going to sign of for approximately ONE Hour to have my lunch. I hope you will be on line then. Kind regards. Frank.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi paul.
Its now 4.05pm, and I'm still waiting for an answer. Are you still available.

Expert:  Paul E replied 4 years ago.

Sorry Frank. No I am in UK but work evenings.

Anyway, the ipaddress and gateway are incorrect.

It looks as if the wireless part of the router is malfunctioning as it hasn't allocated an IP address to your laptop (or Mac by your description).

To check the router, you will have to connect to your laptop via cable.

Go to start>run>cmd and type ipconfig (again!) in the black window that appears.

The gateway address that appears should read something like 192.168.0.1. If it starts with anything but 192.168, get back to me.

Open Internet explorer and type http:// (the gateway address like 192.etc)

This should take you into the control panel of the router. You may have to enter a username and password XXXXX should be admin and password.

From the Main Menu, under Advanced, click the LAN IP Setup link to view the menu, shown in Figure

From the Main Menu, under Advanced, click the LAN IP Setup link to view the menu

Make sure "Use Router as DHCP Server " is ticked. If not, click on the box to tick.

Click on apply.

Close Internet explorer and then disconnect cable. Try connecting wirelessly again.

If the box is already ticked, then leave screen on and get back to me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have opened internet explorer and typed the gateway address 192.168.0.1. I am now in netgear router. the main windoy contains NETGear smart Wizard. There is loads of information on this window but I can't find "advanced"

Expert:  Paul E replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Is there a menu on the left hand side?

Cannot see one myself so working on memory. There should be an entry" ..LAN..." Click on this and look for DHCP

Expert:  Paul E replied 4 years ago.

It actually states "LAN IP Setup"

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
To read your responses do i have to go via email?

Yes there is a menue on the left its called set up wizard. I have just clicked into Lan input setup. What should I do now
Expert:  Paul E replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, I think its the only way of communicating.

Ok so you should now see a tick box "Use Router as DHCP Server". Is it ticked? If not, then click on it and then click "Apply" at the bottom of the screen. Then close Internet explorer remove the cable and try your wireless connection again.

If it is ticked, then I think you have a problem with the router, But before you scrap it or call someone out to have a look at it, lets try one more thing.

If you go to Start>Control Panel>Network Connections and right click on Wireless Connection. Go to Properties and double click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP in the top window (you will have to scroll down to see it)

Click on "Use the following IP address"

and put in 192.168.0.78

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.0.1

Click on "Use the following DNS ...."

Put in 192.168.0.1

Click apply and ok and try connecting wirelessly again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi again paul. Iv'e just been looking over your answers and : 1. Use Router as DHCP Server is ticked.
2. My normal situation is:- My computer is an Apple mac osx snow leapor. The main cable from the router is connected to it. My wife and our grandson both have laptops which are wireless connected. My grandson and I both have access to the Internet at the moment. Its my wifes laptop that isn't connected to the internet.

I have just clicked on the hp wireless assistant , window appears called hp wireless assistant and in the main part of the window it states Wireless LAN Status on. There is a properties icon on the bottom left of the window, On clicking the properties button this brings up a window with the following four chocies:

1.Wireless assistant icon in notification area.
2. Status change messaages
3. Initial status messages
4. Independant controls for installed wireless devices

ALL have their boxes ticked.

The laptop is using Windows xp
Expert:  Paul E replied 4 years ago.

Hi Frank.

Sorry but I have totally run out of ideas. Obviosly the wireless part of the router IS working perfectly because you have other laptops successfully connected.

There seems to be some conflict with the HP Wireless Assistant. Have you tried contacting HP direct to see if they can advise you

I will Opt Out of this question now to see if anyone else in our team can help. Sorry I can't help further.

Expert:  Paul E replied 4 years ago.
Good Luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi paul.
Sorry you didn't manage to solve the problem. Perhaps some of your friends might help. Thank you very much for your time and effort. Kind regards Frank
Expert:  Paul E replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Frank