Network Bill
Network Bill, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  BSIT, Cisco Certified Network Associate, A+ Hardware, Sun Solaris I, Microsoft Certified System Eng.

I have a Netgear router (WGT624v4). Can you tell me how to

Customer Question

I have a Netgear router (WGT624v4). Can you tell me how to set it up with a password XXXXX that unauthorized people can not gain access to it?

Thanks
Category: Networking
Expert:  MrBillClark replied 4 years ago.
Hi, you'll need to login to the router and look for the security setting (sometimes its under advanced.) To login to your router you type its IP address into your internet browser address bar (Where the website name for justanswer appears right now.) To find its IP address, it will be your default gateway:
  1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences... .

2. In System Preferences, from the View menu, select Network.

3. Select the appropriate port. For example, choose Ethernet for broadband connections, AirPort for wireless, or Internal Modem for dial-up.

4. Click Advanced... , and in the sheet that opens, click the TCP/IP tab. The number next to "Router:" is your default gateway.
Once you type that number (it will be something like 192.168.1.1) into the address bar you will be brought to the login page for your router where you will need to put in your username/password XXXXX your router admin. If you didn't set this up and just used the default you can find what it is here: www.routerpasswords.com and sometimes its even printed on the bottom of your router. If you did set it up but don't remember it then you can reset it to factory defaults by holding in the little button on the back of the router for a full minute. Once you've gotten into the router you are looking for WPA2 KEY to give your wireless network a password.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Bill,

I followed your instructions but when I got on to the login page for the netgear router and tried to set up a password, A message popped up "Authorization required" and asking for the user name and password. I followed your advise and reset the router but when I put in the default user name and password, it was rejected. Any more suggestions?

Thanks.

All I am trying to do is require a password XXXXX anyone trying to use my router and wireless network.
Expert:  Network Bill replied 4 years ago.

Let's login to the NETGEAR so you can view/reset your password.

Make sure you are plugged directly into the back of the NETGEAR into 1 2 3 etc. (this needs to be done from a computer that is directly plugged into the back of the NETGEAR, this will not work wireless)

Open your browser and go to address http://www.routerlogin.net

For the username/ password...

username is admin

password XXXXX XXXXX

On the left pane click wireless settings and then security.. HERE is where you can turn OFF security and then connect from your laptop with no password.. or just retype a new password XXXXX and click save.. then type what you type there into your laptop to connect...

Enjoy!

Experience: BSIT, Cisco Certified Network Associate, A+ Hardware, Sun Solaris I, Microsoft Certified System Eng.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not getting anywhere. When I log in to routerlogin.net, I get a screen requiring a username and password XXXXX when I put in admin and password XXXXX says this response is unauthorized. Any other ideas?

Ok do you know who installed the unit? Sounds like they changed the default login for the router itself.. (any idea why?)

Do you have it written down somewhere or do you have a contact for the installer?