James, Sr. Network Administrator
Experience:  Highly experienced with wireless networks and wireless equipment, LAN and networking protocols
24111805

my netgear wireless router doesnt work on wireless

Customer Question

my netgear wireless router doesn't work on wireless
Category: Networking
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Pat, can you see your netgear's wireless network on the laptop?

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, i get a message" windows can not configure this wireless connection"
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.
Do you have other computers or devices connected to this router?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have 3 computers hard wired, bought a netgear wireless G USB adapter to try and couldn't get it to work either. Thats when I bought the trendnet 108 mps wireless adapter. same problem with all 3 devices. Same message, and when i doublle click the wireless connection in the lower rigt corner I do not see any wireless connections

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Okay. And this router is just a router, connected to your Internet modem? What I mean to ask if whether the router is also your cable or DSL modem.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, I run from my modem to this device then out to my computers.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Okay. So I'd like to suggest you reset the router to factory defaults. This solves most problems. Stick a paperclip in the reset hole in the back, and hold it in for 25 seconds. Then let go, and let the router reboot.
This will delete all settings from the router, and all passwords and network keys. See if you can connect to the router once this is done.
You can re-secure the router after you confirm you can connect to it.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The wireless or the modem
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
The router - we never want to touch the modem! :)

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the router has no reset
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
What is the exact model of the router please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
netgear wireless-G-router WGR614v9
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.

Look at the back of the router, where the cables plug in. There is a hole, the button is inside. You need to push it with a paperclip.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did that, my desk top says i'm connected at 54 and have excellent reception , my lap top shows all my wireless now. but niether will connect to the net. Both workd across town at the computer shop
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Okay - power cycle both the modem and the router. (power off the router, power cycle the modem, then plug in the router).

J.