Jordan H
Jordan H, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A.A.S. Networking and Communication, A+, Server +
24473357

How to get network s name (SSID) and Security Key for my Dell

How to get network"s name (SSID) and Security Key for my Dell Wireless Studio 1555.
I'm presently connected to an Unsecure Wireless Network, and I'm not happy about such dangerous arrangement.
Help Me!!!!!!
Franklin J. Nouvet
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jordan H replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your problem.

First off, the difference between a secured and unsecured wireless network has to do with the security settings in the router, not the computer.

A secured connection require a password XXXXX connect. An unsecure connection means there is no password XXXXX anyone within range of the signal can connect.

If the linksys router is yours, then follow the below steps to make it secure. (It will be easier if you can do this through a hardwire connection)

For the default Linksys settings try this below

1. Open a web browser of your choice
2. In the address bar type in: http://192.168.1.1/
3. It will ask you for a user name and password. Leave the username blank and the password XXXXX XXXXX

4. Now click on the Wireless tab and you should see something like this

graphic

SSID is the name of your network. I would recommend changing it to a name of your choice.
5. Once changed, click on wireless security. I would recommend setting the router security mode to WPA Personal with TKIP like the image below
graphic
6. Now enter in a Personal key or password XXXXX your choice.
7. Now on your laptop, take a look at the wireless signals and find yours and click connect. Now it will ask you for a password. Enter in the password XXXXX you created and now you will be on a secured wireless network.

Please, let me know if you have any problems and I will be glad to further assist.

Thanks

Jordan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Step 3 of the answer received does not get me going. when I leave the user name blank or not, neither when I type admn as the password
I can't get passed step #3 of your suggested answer to my problem.
Thank you,
Franklin Nouvet
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
If you cannot get passed step 3, then you must reset the router if you want to be able to configure it. YOu can do this by pressing the reset button on the router for 20 seconds.

You will then be able to continue with the steps that Jordan sent you.

KEEP IN MIND >>> IF YOU RESET THE ROUTER, YOU MAY HAVE TO RECONFIGURE IT TO CONNECT IT TO THE INTERNET (DSL PASSWORD, ETC). IF YOU HAVE CABLE, YOU MAY HAVE FEWER ISSUES.
Expert:  Jordan H replied 4 years ago.
What the other expert said is correct. If you cannot get into the router, a reset is required. The reset button is on the back of the router.

Please, let us know if you have any more problems and we will be glad to help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried your suggestion and keep getting the following two messages:

401 Unauthorized

Authorization Required

What should I do Now?

Franklin Nouvet

Expert:  Jordan H replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell us the model of your wireless router? It should be connected to your modem and may look something like this

graphic
or

graphic

The model number will be on the bottom of the router. for example WRT54g
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jordan,

This is Franklin,

Thanks for the router images which I'm sure would have bee helpful if that was my case, but it is not.

What I got is a Dell Laptop Studio 1555. Built- in internal Intel Wi-Fi Link 5100 802.11 AGN Half Mini Card.

Upon typing the address, user name and password XXXXX instructed I get the following:

Windows Security

The server 192.168.1.1at WRT546 requires a Username and Password XXXXX

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password XXXXX sent in an unsecure manner (basic authentication withouth a secure connection.

Username:

Password:

Remember my credentials

OK Cancel

I would again fill the above with the answer Admin and click on OK.

A few seconds later a get the following screen;

401 Unauthorized

Authorization Required

What else can we try now???

Expert:  Jordan H replied 4 years ago.
ok, your saying that is not the case?

If you dont have a router, then you must be using a neighbors router. In which case, there is nothing we can do to modify it because it is not yours.

Below is an example of how your internet works. You pay for cable or dsl internet. It comes in through a phone line or cable jack. You have a DSL modem or a CABLE modem. Your wireless router connects to your modem and produces a wireless signal. From there, you can connect any wifi device within range of the wireless signal. If you do not have a wireless router, then you are using a neighbors network.

graphic

We have established that you are connecting to a linksys router. Whether its yours or not, is a different question.

Which brings us down to one question. Do you have a wireless router or not?
Jordan H, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: A.A.S. Networking and Communication, A+, Server +