Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

my wireless internet connection doesnt give me the option

my wireless internet connection doesn't give me the option of logging onto it? it's not on the list. How can I connect to my own internet connection?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

I don't think I quite understand what you mean by logging into your network...can you tell me a bit more please?

To connect to your wireless network, you should be able to click the Windows logo, then click Connect To. Your network should show in the list - click it once, then click the connect button. Are you able to connect this way?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Kevin,

my problem is that my network doesn't show up on the list. how do i get it to show? thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

I should be able to help you with that.

Has the connection worked before or is this new?

What is the brand and model number of your wireless router?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it has worked before, however i had windows xp

lynksys WRT54G S/N CDF20C935496
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Okay - thank you.

If you click on your windows logo, then connect to, then Open Network and Sharing Center, a new window will open. Click on Manage Wireless Networks - does your network show here?

Is your computer new or was it upgraded to Windows 7?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i click on my windows logo I don't see the Open Network and Sharing Center.
I'm sorry, I am sort of computer illiterate. and Windows 7 was upgraded
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Click on Connect To first, then it will be there - no apologies necessary :)

Are you using built in wireless or an external wireless adapter? If it's an adapter, can you tell me the brand and model number please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks,
i found the connect to,
and yes it's a built in wireless.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

If you click on Connect to, then Open Network and Sharing Center, there is an option for Manage Wireless Networks - does your show there?

What is the brand and model number of your compter - it may be that your wireless adapter is not Windows 7 compatible...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, my network shows up on Manage Wireless Networks

and I am using my HP Pavilion dv6000, I am using the wireless internet on this very computer on another network in my area that is unsecured., if it was not compatible would i be able to connect to any wireless network at all?

Thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

It's compatible - definitely. I own the same one.

How many networks show in the list? If yours is not the top one, click it once to highlight it, then click the 'move up' button to move it to the top.

How far away from your router are you?

Try turning off your router, waiting 60 seconds, then try to find it by clicking the Windows Logo, then Connect To. Does it show now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did your recommendations and it still doesn't show my network connection option.as a matter of fact none of the networks listed on Managing Wireless internet show up on the list to connect to.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

It could be that they are old connections...

Is there a version number on the bottom of your router, like v1, v5, etc?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wow!
it's version 1.1
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Thank you - I would start by upgrading the firmware of the router. The firmware update will have all of the patches from Linksys, and there were quite a few with your model. Here is how to do it:

You will need to use a computer directly connected to the router via cable - download this file and save it to the desktop:

http://tinyurl.com/yewef5v - double click the file and it will extract to a folder - try to make the folder on your desktop.

Open a web browser and enter this address:

http://192.168.1.1

It should autofill - just click to log in. If the login fails, leave the username blank and enter admin for the password.

Let's check a couple settings - click on Wireless. Make sure SSID broadcast is enabled and Channel is set to 1 (not mandatory, but 1, 6 or 11 will give you a better connection than Auto - they are 'clean' wireless channels). If not, change them and save the settings at the bottom.

Click on Administration, then Firmware Upgrade. Click the browse button and browse to the folder you made from the download - there is a file in the folder that ends with .bin - select it, then click Upload.

Let the upload complete - do not interrupt it and let the router restart (it's automated).

Try the Windows Logo - Connect To and see if your network shows now. You may need to click the refresh button once or twice:

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi I did all that successfully,

however, my network name still doesn't appear on the list to connect to.

I don't know why.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Do you have another wireless laptop you can try to connect to it?

If Broadcast SSID is enabled, this is the part that sends out the radio signals for wireless. It sounds like they are not going out for some reason.

If you can try another wireless device and it can't find signal either, you will know it's the router that is failing.

You could also try the Windows 7 pc at another location, like a coffee shop to rule it out also.

Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience: Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok,
it's getting late,
thank you for trying to help me.

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Keep me posted - I will keep an eye on this post if you have more questions...