Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

setting up a network...its asking for my 8 digit pin from the

setting up a network...its asking for my 8 digit pin from the router label....looked all over my router, nothing is 8 digits..is it part of something else?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Is your router a Linksys unit?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, linksys wireless g....model is WRK54G

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

To get your passcode can you go to a machine that can get online through the router and open an Internet Explorer Window and type the gateway address in the following format http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page.

When prompted type your admin username and password ( If you have not changed it just leave the username blank and enter admin as the password XXXXX if you cannot get in can you try admin for the username and admin for the password)

When you get logged into the router can you click the Wireless tab then the 8 digit PIN number should be listed so you can then write it down in ase you need it in future.

Try that and let us know if you need any info or clarification.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i logged in....then clicked the wireless tab.....i get four tabs under that

Basic Wireless Settings

Wireless Security

Wireless Network Access

Advanced Wireless Settings

however, on none of these tabs do i see an 8 digit anything?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

In that case can you tell me if you are just trying to connect the windows machine to the wireless network?

If so can you take a look under the wireless security tab and tell me what you see for security type and what you have listed for your password XXXXX shared key.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

eric,

not quite sure what you mean by 'windows machine'....i am doing all this from my desktop (windows vista)....the laptop (windows 7) is next to me....should I have done this from the laptop...when i click on wireless security tab i get only what is below..nothing about password XXXXX shared key:

Security Mode: Disable WPA Pre-Shared Key WPA RADIUS WEP

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

You should be on the Vista machine so you are doing fine.

Can you tell me what it says in the Security mode box currently?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it says 'disable'
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

In that case your network is not secured and there will be no pin number or wireless pasword, So to see if you can connect will you close any open windows you have on the windows 7 machine then can you click start then control panel and open Network and Internet.

When it opens can you click Connect to a Network under the Network and Sharing Center option then when the network listing opens can you then look under the Wireless Network Section and let me know if you can see your network listed?

If you do will you then double click your network and let me know if it will then show you as connected after 20-30 seconds?

Thanks

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i look at all the wireless networks listed and the name 'linksys' is the one i connect too...it is the only one i have ever connected too (my old laptop always connected to this....only one with 5 bars...never tried to network the old one)...when i connect to it..i can access the internet, but never could click any button to search for networks that said i found any....also, when i connect, no, it never asks for a password....

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Your network is unsecured so if you saw Linksys as an option and clicked it on the windows 7 machine did it then show you as connected?

If so can you get online?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah, i can get online and access all internet pages
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

In that case you should be good to go, Unles there is anything else you need to setup?

Thanks