I have a lynksys Wireless B 2.4 GHz router purchased 2 years ago. When I installed it I did not secure the network. How do I do that now? I have tried to get on-line by typing the address http://192.168.1.1, and when asked for authentication I leave the username blank and type in "admin" as the password, but this is apparently not accepted as I continue to get requests for authentication and am not logged on.
Computer OS: Windows XPBrowser: Firefox
To enable security on the Linksys, you need to be plugged directly into the router with a computer into 1 2 3 etc. (pick one) You can't do it over wireless you NEED to be plugged in.
When you are sure that is correct... proceed to..
1. Open internet explorer and just erase what is in the address bar. Go to this address http://192.168.1.1 (just type that, don't type www or anything) press enter.
2. You will get a username/password XXXXX Leave the 1st (username) field blank, in the 2nd (password) field type admin. And press Ok.
3. You will now be inside the Linksys Router.
4. Up top click Wireless.
5. Just below it click wireless security.
6. Hit the drop down menu here (down arrow) and set it to WEP. (I'm using WEP as an example here, you can use any you like WPA etc..)
7. Type something into the passphrase field. (write it down don't forget it, it IS case sensitive)
8. Click the Generate button and it will Generate 4 keys for you. (write these keys down, they are case sensitive)
9. You are finished, click Save Settings below. (Then you can just close the internet explorer window)
(Remember to write down your passphrase and the 4 wireless keys and put it in a safe place.)
Reboot any computers, rescan for wireless and reconnect.
When you try to reconnect to wireless from your laptop/desktop it will ask you for the WEP key or it may ask for the passphrase. You can use any of the 4 keys or if it asks for the passphrase, use the passphrase. (The password XXXXX you just entered into the router)
Sorry, but I cannot connect to http://192.168.1.1. I have patched a second laptop directly to the router, typed in that address in Mozilla Firefox, and get an authentication window requesting a user name and password. I left the user name blank and typed in admin, but it is not accepted and I do not connect. What next?
I did as recommended, but am still unable to connect to http://192.168.1.1
So you can get to http://192.168.1.1/ but the credentials don't work?
Do you get high speed through the cable company? Or is it through the phone line/phone company.. DSL?
That's correct.; The credentials don't work.I get high speed Internet through Comcast cable.
Sounds like someone changed your default login, any reason why?
Easy enough to fix with cable though.
Perform the following EXACTLY (below). (after that is done, the above will work)
Before following these directions, please make sure everything is wired correctly. The network cable from the cable modem plugs directly to the back of the Linksys where it says WAN or INTERNET. When you are sure that is correct.. proceed to..
1. Pull the power cord from the cable modem, make sure the lights go off and leave it off.
2. With the power ON on the Linksys router, press and hold the reset button on the back of the Linksys router. (It is on the back, small usually red, you may need to use a pen) Hold it in for about ten seconds. Then let it go. Now unplug the power cord from the Linksys, make sure the lights go off.3. Power on the cable modem. Wait about a minute.
4. Power on the Linksys, wait about a minute.
I will attempt your suggestions later tonight, and let you know if they worked. Thank you.
Yea, after the reset the login will be reset to normal.
BSIT, Cisco Certified Network Associate, A+ Hardware, Sun Solaris I, Microsoft Certified System Eng.