shawnjackson
shawnjackson, Helpdesk
Experience:  I have been employed in the field of electronics since 2005.
18622336

Where is the security key for the linksys router located.

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.

In order to find the network key for your router, please carry out the following steps:

1) Open Internet Explorer.
2) Type in 192.168.1.1 in the website address field, and press ENTER.
3) Your router's link should open up.
4) Click on the 'Wireless' tab.
5.) Next, click on 'Wireless Security'.
6.) You should get a page with a few keys listed; use the first WEP key listed, and you are all set.

PS - If the link prompts you for a username and password, leave the username field empty and type in admin in the password XXXXX or admin in the username field and password XXXXX or type in admin in both of the fields if it doesnt work.

Keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't see a wireless tab. its just web sites.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
When you typed in the IP, what came up?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is a web site that came up. a need some kind of number to put in a box.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Okay ..please copy and paste the following in your browser address field:
http://192.168.1.1/

Press ENTER ...what comes up?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The linksys page came up with my router mode number but where is the security key. On My DSI the WEP is secure and it ask for my security key.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Click on the Wireless tab on your router's page; what comes up?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
6-2.437ghz is this the security key
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
No, is there a WEP/WPA field present?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i don't see the wep, just the ip address.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Okay ..in your router's page, what are the options listed?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
setup, wireless , access restrictions , application & gaming ,administration , status
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Okay ..please go further into Wireless; what are the options present?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

disable

linksys

enable

I Looked in them all and i can't find it. linksys don't show you nothing.

Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Once you are in the router setup page, click on the Wireless Tab at the very top of the page. Once you are in the Wireless Tab, just right under the word Wireless you click the sub tab that's Wireless Security. On this page you will see the Security Mode. If your security mode is set to WEP (64bit or 128 bit) you will have four sets of keys available. To known which key to use look for the Default Transmit (Tx) Key, If your default transmit key is set to 1, then you will use the key in Network key 1 to connect to the wireless network. Now if your Security mode is set to WPA (Personal/Pres-Shared Key/PSK) what's inside the WPA-shared key or Pass phrase / Personal Key box is the network key for your wireless network.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Rath when i go to this site i don't see no wep or wap. Is that the only place it can be?

Expert:  shawnjackson replied 4 years ago.
It could be wep, wap, wap2 or enterprise.If you cannot find it please let me know and i can assist you further if you like

If this was helpful please click accept, this is the only way that i get paid, thanks

How did it go?

If this information was helpful, please click accept, this is the only way that i get paid, thanks