D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience:  5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)
19897260

Hi there. Forgot my password to my wireless router. What should

Customer Question

Hi there. Forgot my password XXXXX my wireless router. What should I do? (working from my desktop where I get the Internet connection). Thanks.
Category: Networking
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the experts who will be assisting you!

there are two ways to go here, one is to hold down the reset button on the wireless router, and it will clear out the password..

its better to go with the second way, as if you wnat to have a password XXXXX the router, if you reset it you will still have to add one..

i want you to connect to your motorola router via an ethernet cord, and then open internet explorer..

type only this in the address bar

192.168.10.1

hit enter.. does it take you to a screen asking for a default username and password?

the username should be admin and the password XXXXX

unless you previously did this and changed it,, after entering the username and password XXXXX are now inside the motorola..

click on wireless , and security, and it should show you the password XXXXX you can also change the password XXXXX you wish..

then when you have looked at, or changed the passwoprd and saved it,,

exit out of the router.. disconnect the ethernet cord, and try to connect to the router wirelessly,, it should ask you for the password, which you now have, and can enter..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dustin, I've just realized that the INternet box is a Motorola but the router is a D-Link, what should i do to retreive the password XXXXX established when I configured the LAN?
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
ok.. it would be the router you cannot connect to the yes? the dlink?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I'm working on my desktop and my wife is on the laptop, but we forgot the password XXXXX our wireless internet connection. Our router, connected to the desktop, is a D-Link Dir 615, and it also has a reset button.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
ok, lets not reset it, because that will leave the router with no password, and anyone with a wireless card could get on your network,.,.

hook up via an ethernet cord to the dlink router, disable the wireless of whichever computer you use to hook up, so its only looking over the cable your hooking in with..

once hooked up, open internet explorer, type this in the address bar

192.168.0.1 ( press enter)

for defult username, use admin leave the password XXXXX then login.. click on the wireless tab, then security, it should display the password XXXXX entered here..

write it down, then exit the router, disconnect the ethernet cable, turn your computers wireless back on, try to connect, and enter your password XXXXX just looked up..

Please let me know what happens..

Edited by D.Sandlin on 1/17/2010 at 9:11 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, let me do it and will let you know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can't log in into the router as admin. Left passwrod blank and it still is asking me for a passwrod. As user, I can log in and without password, but don't see the "security" tab.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
my apologies for the delay, i had to download the manual specific to that router, as each router looks different on the inside..

ok, it doesnt seem that this router allows you to edit an in place password.. you will need to setup a new one ( some routers wont let you see or edit an existing password XXXXX a security feature, imagine someone hacked your network)

to setup a new wireless password.. click setup at the top, then run the wireless security wizard..

click next, you will need to type in a new name for your network ( or the same name)

you want to choose, wpa or wpa 2 as your encryption type, then it will ask you to enter a password, and then finish the wizard..

then exit out the router, and disconnect the ethernet cable, and connect to it wirelessly, enter your password ( keep in mind whether you choose wpa or wpa2, as it may ask the encyption type when you enter the password..)

now the computer is on the network.. for the second computer, it may no longer connect if you named the network the exact same thing.. i recommend naming the network something different when you are inside the router..

then with the original connected computer all you have to tehn do is connect, and then enter the password XXXXX just setup/.

let me know if you run into any issues./.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dustin, sorry but it's not working. When trying to run the wizard (don't have anything called wireless security wizard but "internet connection setup wizard", is it the same?) it says Insufficient Permissions as User ....
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
Ok...

lets just go ahead and reset the dlink.. i wanted to stay away from it.. but it wont let you in as admin.. and you need to be admin to change or setup the network..

with the dlink on,, press and hold the reset button till you see all the lights flash on.. then off..

you can then let go of the reset button..

now you will need to log back in as i decribed, as admin.. and then setup the wireless security..

D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience: 5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dsutin,

Stil doesn't let me log in as an admin. I did it as a user, created a new name for the network, typed anew password... But on the second computer (the one I'm working wirless, althought the new wirless network appeared but it is "on demand" now....can't connect to that network. Also, I never got a "security wizard" on the D-Link router. Are you sure we are talking about the same version? DIR615? Sorry man...
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 4 years ago.
ok, you may have a different version of firmware on that router.. which is a normal issue..

a few questions just to clear up where we are..

you did setup a new network..

one computer is connected to it wirelessly.. <--- which computer, the one that wouldnt connect before, or the one that would?

one computer will not connect wirelessly..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HI Dustin. Finally it occurred to me to call D-Link directly. They helped me out instantly. I've got my desktop and the laptop up un running. Thanks for your help anyway. Kind regards.