Trey Kranz
Trey Kranz, Network Administrator
Experience:  7+ Years IT Experience, A+, i-Net+, Net+, MCP
28811648

The Enter Network Password box keeps popping up in my Outlook.

Customer Question

The "Enter Network Password" box keeps popping up in my Outlook. When I check 'remember this password'... it doesn't remember it and continues to pop-up. Using Outlook 07 and Windows Vista... Thanks for your help -- Lori
Category: Networking
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Hi, if the box keeps popping up - it means you are entering the wrong password.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The box only pops up when I receive an e-mail... during the send/receive of messages coming in. It's never done this before and has always read my password XXXXX until 2 days ago.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Go back into account settings - perhaps you set up another account, and the setup isn't complete - and it is asking the password XXXXX that other account.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I set it up identical, keeping the same password. The weird thing is that when all this started happening I hadn't made any changes at all. This came out of the blue. The only changes I made (about an hour ago) with the account setting was the incoming/outgoing server port numbers. Also, when I check the 'remember the password' box in the 'ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD" window, it's not remembering. BTW, my emails are going out and coming in just fine... it's just an annoyance to have this thing popping up while I'm working.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
I'm pretty sure it is refusing to remember because it isn't the right password XXXXX something...look at the popup message, does it have any other info, like the name of the account for which it is asking the password?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is set up to "USE SAME SETTING AS MY INCOMING MAIL SERVER"... As mentioned, the only changes made was the outgoing & incoming servers. Not the User name or Password.

This has been happening for 2-days... and before the problem started I hadn't made any changes. FYI... It just popped up again and the verbage for the little box in the window is.. "save this password XXXXX your password XXXXX"... When I check it and click OK, it goes away and let's me continue on.

It's reading my password XXXXX because it's letting me continue on with things... it's not remembering it.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Try to switch the "use same settings as my mail server" to provide your user and password. Does the box still appear?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yeeeessss (sniff!) UGH! I was hopeful there for a second... it just came up.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
How about trying to delete the account, and then set it up again? Make sure to write down all the settings!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay...

I'll restart my computer afterwards & then get back to ya!

Thanks!

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Great, hope it works for you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Didn't work!!!... Bummer!

I'm going to shut down the computer and the modem and see if that works... Be right back!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well... that didn't work either. Any more suggestions???

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
I'm afraid not...I'll opt out so that another expert can try and answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

K... Thanks so much! I really appreciate the try!!!

I have to run... Can I continue this tomorrow?

Thanks again, James... Lori

Expert:  Trey Kranz replied 4 years ago.

Customer,

Perhaps there is a password on your .PST file which is not really needed.

Follow these instructions (from microsoft) and when you change the password just leave the new password blank.

• On the Go menu, click Folder List.
  • Do one of the following:
    • If you have a POP3 e-mail account, right-click Personal Folders, and then click Properties For "Personal Folders" on the shortcut menu.

Note If you provided a custom display name for your data file, substitute that name for Personal Folders.

• If you have an IMAP or HTTP e-mail account, such as Microsoft Windows Live Mail, right-click the name of the account, and then click Properties For account name on the shortcut menu.
  • On the General tab, click Advanced.
  • Click Change Password.
  • In the Change Password dialog box, type your new password and verify it by typing it a second time. The password can have up to 15 characters.

Note

Use strong passwords that combine uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Weak passwords don't mix these elements. Strong password: Y6dh!et5. Weak password: House27. Passwords should be 8 or more characters in length. A pass phrase that uses 14 or more characters is better. For more information, see Help protect your personal information with strong passwords.

It is critical that you remember your password. If you forget your password, Microsoft cannot retrieve it. Store the passwords that you write down in a secure place away from the information that they help protect.

• Make sure that the Save this password in your password list check box is cleared. This prevents the password from being cached, so you will need to type the password each time you run Outlook. Don't forget the password.

Important Neither Microsoft, your Internet service provider (ISP), nor your mail administrator has access to your password, nor can they assist you to recover the contents of the .pst file if you forget the password.

• Click OK three times.
  •  

Thanks,

Trey

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Trey... I just tried, put in the new password XXXXX you instructed and that didn't work. The problem is still unresolved!!!... This is so frustrating!!! Giving another try tomorrow.