Docmarkc, System Administrator
Experience:  12 years experience from end-user support to enterprise sysadmin. Solutions Privider.

Cant start AOL. Keep getting message that says AOL will

Can't start AOL. Keep getting message that says :
AOL will now install the files required for you to connect to the service. Click YES to install these files. You may be asked to restart your computer, otherwise, you will not be able to correct it.

I've tried this 4 times and still can't connect. Any ideas??
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today...

You seem to be connected to the internet right now which is a good thing and will make this easier!

Here is a link to download the AOL software:

Download the setup file to your desktop by right-clicking on the DOWNLOAD link on their page and choosing "Save link as" or "Save target as" and then browsing to the top of the list to "Desktop" (As long as you can find it, you can save it anywhere really).

On your computer, go into the control panel by clicking START > settings > Control Panel

Open "Add and remove programs"

Look for AOL in the installed programs list and uninstall it.

Then run the file AOLDNLD.exe that we downloaded earlier. This should download any needed files and install AOL for you.

Let me know if you have troubles!

Edited by Docmarkc on 1/13/2010 at 6:04 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

While I was waiting for your reply I decided to download AOL 9.5.

Download was completed and I restarted my computer. I'm still seeing the same message. Should I follow your suggestions? Or, try something else?

No, you did great!

Now that you have 9.5, I would definitely uninstall the version you have via control panel > Add/remove programs. It sounds like something is corrupt in the old version's files.

One thing isn't clear to me tho... Your question says that you get the message" Keep getting message that says : AOL will now install the files required for you to connect to the service. Click YES to install these files." but you haven't said if you get any other errors after clicking yes. Does it have trouble installing those files?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Well, I'm still stuck!

I followed your directions and uninstalled older versions of AOL.

I was so hopeful that everything would work - but - I'm still hung up.

When I click on the new icon for AOL 9.5 , the next message is the same.

"Click to install the files you need and then it prompts me to restart my computer."

I did exactly as asked but I'm still not connecting.

Getting frustrated!!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Now I'm getting this message:

"snmaster.idx database file is missing, please restore this file."

Thanks, Carol

So to be clear... No error messages or problems when installing... It all seems fine and when it is done is asks for a reboot?

Then your computer reboots and you click on the AOL icon on the desktop... Then what happens? Is there an error message of any kind then?

That new icon for AOL9.5 is a downloader/installer. Once it is installed you won't need to run it again. You may have have run THAT one and now you have AOL in your start menu. Try clicking on start > Programs > AOL and see if that works.
Timing timing :) You posted more info I see!

OK here try this... I got it from the AOL help channel:

1. Click the Start button, and then click Search.
2. If using Windows XP, under What do you want to search for?, click All files and folders.
3. In All or part of the file name: box, type SNMaster.idx. Click the Look in: drop-down box, and then select Local Hard Drives (C:).
4. Click the More advanced options menu to expand it, check the Search hidden files and folders box, and then click the Search button.
5. Select the SNMaster.idx file, click the Edit menu, and then click Copy.
6. Click the Address drop-down arrow, and then click (Local Disk C:).
7. Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
8. Double-click the All Users folder.
9. Double-click the Application Data folder.
10. Double-click the AOL folder.
11. Double-click the C_AOL 9.5 folder.

Note: If there are multiple copies of the C_AOL 9.5 folder, double-click the folder with the later alphabet next to it. E.g.: If you have C_AOL 9.5a and C_AOL 9.5b, then C_AOL 9.5b is the folder that needs to be opened.

12. Right-click the idb folder, then click Paste.

Note: If you were receiving the message SNMaster.idx file is missing, you may simply launch the AOL® software at this point and should be able to sign on. If the AOL software installation was failing at 99%, continue to the next step.

13. Click the Back button to navigate back to the C:\ root folder.
14. Double-click the Program Files folder.
15. Double-click the AOL 9.5 folder.

Note: If there are multiple copies of the AOL 9.5 folder, double-click the folder with the later alphabet next to it. E.g.: If you have AOL 9.5a and AOL 9.5b, then AOL 9.5b is the folder that needs to be opened.

16. Right-click the aol icon, select Send to, then click Desktop (create shortcut).
17. On the desktop, double-click the Shortcut to aol icon to launch the AOL® software.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm at step 5 .

I see 4 SNMaster files. None of them have the extension .idx.

Are you able to remotely take over my computer and make repairs???

That is OK. It has to do with the view settings on your computer. They are all .idx. if you right-click on any of them and choose properties it will say that the file is a .idx. If you can see the dates on the files then just choose the most recent and use it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Not working out...

Can you connect to my computer remotely and fix the problems?

I'm sorry, I cannot, but don't give up! According to AOL that IS the fix.

When you try it, what happens? Do you get a new error? Have you tried copying all of the SNMaster files into the AOL folder? You can try one and if that doesn't work try the next (Just overwrite the first one)