Network Bill
Network Bill, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  BSIT, Cisco Certified Network Associate, A+ Hardware, Sun Solaris I, Microsoft Certified System Eng.

Linksys WRT54GS does not see internet connection.

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  Network Bill replied 6 years ago.

Hey hw!

Do you get high speed through the cable company? Or is it through the phone line/phone company.. DSL?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

High speed through cable company. Linksys EasyLink Advisor says no internet connection. I have internet connection, but not as far as the router is concerned.

Perform the following EXACTLY

Before following these directions, please make sure everything is wired correctly. The network cable from the cable modem plugs directly to the back of the Linksys where it says WAN or INTERNET. When you are sure that is correct.. proceed to..

1. Pull the power cord from the cable modem, make sure the lights go off and leave it off.

2. With the power ON on the Linksys router, press and hold the reset button on the back of the Linksys router. (It is on the back, small usually red, you may need to use a pen) Hold it in for about ten seconds. Then let it go. Now unplug the power cord from the Linksys, make sure the lights go off.
3. Power on the cable modem. Wait about a minute.

4. Power on the Linksys, wait about a minute.

Reboot any computers, rescan for wireless and reconnect.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Have done the above, except not sure what you mean to rescan for wirless and reconnect. After following your instructions and rebooting the desk top computer (not wireless), I ran Linksys EasyLink advisor and it still says no internet connection. The internet light on the front of the router is on (blinking).

The only wireless device on my "network" is a TIVO DVR which gets the TV schedule.