Engineer Lee
Engineer Lee, Network Administrator
Experience:  18+ years professional computer experience; MCP/Cisco/Server /SQL/VB/Unix/VAX/etc training & exp.

My wireless was installed my mediacom, our cable co. They

My wireless was installed my mediacom, our cable co. They told me I needed to call you to get my password. Can you help me? I have a 26-character code that I was given by the tech, but it is not working. Is that the password? I am trying to add a computer to our internet. UGH! Thanks, Tracey
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer Lee replied 6 years ago.

Can you please tell me what brand and model your router is?

With a 26 character code, that would tell me it is configured with 128-bit WEP encryption.

We might be able to use a better encryption with an easier to remember password.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it Netgear Wireless cable modem Gateway CG814WG v2? The router is the white box that says Netgear I am guessing....... I'm not very knowledgeable about all this. Tracey
No problem. For the Netgear, the following should get you where you need.

Open a web browser and type the router IP address which would be either or (by default, refer to your product documentation to determine the default IP address.) in the address bar and press Enter.
The Login window will be prompting for a Username and Password. The default Username is admin and the default Password XXXXX password

Click Wireless Settings under Setup menu.

The "key" will be displayed in the Pre-Shared Key (PSK) field if using WPA encryption.

If using WEP encryption, you will use the characters in the Key 1 field.