Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

Another Bluray Gateway ping problem.. Have samsung BD1600

Another Bluray Gateway ping problem..
Have samsung BD1600 player..Using the ethernet (wired)..Hooked up to router
and manually put in the ip address, etc..When I go to the Network test it's stops at Gateway ping ....Tried turning off firewall, and pugginh directly into modem...No luck...I'm not a PC gal at all so this is getting very frustrating..Hope someone can help ...
Thanks
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

I have just a couple questions to ask to be able to get this fixed for you...

Can you tell me the brand and model number of your router please?

Also, what are the values you are using on your Blu-Ray player for the IP address, default gateway and subnet mask?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Like I said..not computer savvy at all..but I l'll try..
have Time warner cable goes thru Motorola modem sb5100 and thru a dynex ethernet hub then wired straight to my Toshiba lap-top and wired straight to my blu-ray..

ip: 75.85.46.70
subnet 255.255.240.0
def.gateway 75.85.32.1

I'm now off to work..may be awhile before i can further reply..

Thank you
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell me what operating system your computer uses? I am curious what the settings are for IP, Subnet and Gateway - could you check them and post them please? Here is how to do it:

Windows XP:

1. Click Start
  2. Click Run
  3. Type cmd then hit enter
  4. A new poopup will appear - type ipconfig then hit enter

Windows Vista or 7:

1. Click Start
  2. In the search bar, type cmd
  3. A new poopup will appear - type ipconfig then hit enter

Let me know the Operating System (XP,Vista,7) IP address, Subnet and Gateway please...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Windows ip confi:

ethernet adap.local area conn.

conn-spec.dns..socal.rr.com
ip address:75.85.46.70
subnet: 255.255.240.0
default gateway: 75.85.32.1

ethernet adap.network bridge:
conne-spec.dns............there is none
ip address: 192.168.0.1
subnet:255.255.255.0
default gateway...there is none

Thanks so far kevin ...I may not be online agai til later tonight..but wil try to follow your posts...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Almost forgot..it's windows XP..
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Not a problem.

Inside your Blu-Ray player settings, remove the IP address, Mask and Gateway you entered. Make sure cable is selected for the network type and that DHCP is enabled.

Run your network test and you should be online.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you say make sure cable is selected for the network type..(sorry,i know your rolling your eyes) but what exactly do you mean..(ie i have not a clue) and what exactly is DHCP?

Thanks again,kevin..will have to try all this later tonite and of course will get back to you..
but not til late...
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

I meant to post a picture of this and missed it somehow - here it is. My previous post doesn't make much sense without it :)

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok Kevin..did exactly what you said...
I when i go to network connection it now stops (gives me an x) at IP address, etc..
where as before at least i got past that to Gatewy ping..where it always stops..

I look forward to what to do next this morning ...
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Can you check this setting for me please? I am trying to compare the settings from your PC to the Blu-Ray player.

In XP, click Start, then Control Panel. In the Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections (make sure Classic View is not selected in the left pane), then Network Connections in the next window.

Double click your internet connection, then hit properties.

Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click properties below it.

On this screen, are the IP Address and DNS server buttons both selected to configure automatically? If not, what are the values that show?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good morning Keven...

Yes-both buttons are set on to configure automatically....
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Change the setting for DHCP in your BluRay player to off and use these settings:

IP address: 192.168.0.1

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: Leave this blank

Then run the test - does the connection work with these settings?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did exactly as you said..

it went thru for IP address this time but again failed the Gateway ping test...

I'm off to work...will check back on your replies soon....I hope there is someway we can fix this..
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Can you restart your modem and then check the IPconfig settings on your computer one more time for me please? This is what you posted earlier and I am wondering why the Default Gateway is blank.

ethernet adap.network bridge:
conne-spec.dns............there is none
ip address: 192.168.0.1
subnet:255.255.255.0
default gateway...there is none

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok restarted the modem,etc...

for local area properties:via internet protocol: it says obtian ip addess automatically
obtain dns server automatically

for local area connection status it says ip address: 75.85.46.70
subnet mask:255.255.240.0
gateway default: 75.85.32.1

The black box windows ip configuration:
ethernet local area connection: dns suffix: socal.rr.com
ip address:75.85.46.70
subnet mask:255.255.240.0
default gateway:75.85.32.1

ethernet adaptor network bridge: dns suffix: none
ip address:192.168.0.1
subnet mask:255.255.255.0
gateway default:none

Do you think I need a better ethernet adaptor /router???? I did try once hooking up bluray cable directly to modem...still no luck..

Now what ????

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

You do. It's the hub that is causing the connection problem. The gateway needs to be there to fix your gateway ping problem, and it won't be with the switch.

A simple Belkin or Linksys router would work well - a wireless Belkin is about $30.00 US at a store like Wal-Mart.

It will also speed up your internet a bit with the connected devices. Hubs are older technology and not very network friendly.

Do you have anything else connected to the hub?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have nothing else connected-just to my laptop and to my blu ray..
Is there a certain model you rec. of router??? I'm not into wirless...I'm willing to pay for a top shelf model if it's going to work ...and be the most compatible...

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Any router will work - for what you need, your money would be wasted paying for a top shelf model. They are made for advanced networking.

Here are a couple that would work - for ease of installation, I would recommend Linksys:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10983393

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2304412

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5151063

Just about any router you purchase will work - they will come with visual instructions for setup and you should be up pretty quickly.

As for the BluRay settings, DHCP should be set to automatic and none of the settings like IP and Subnet should be entered manually. The router will feed the information to the player automatically.

Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience: Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks again...I will try it this weekend and get back to you (hopefully with good news)

You certainly earned the ACCEPT button..

Hopefully I will not be starting up a new question/reply response..

thanks again

Susan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Kevin...did what you told me to..Got the new router (linksys) Had do do another rebooting of PC,Modemn,etc...and Finally..network connection went thru..
Now lets just hope I have no mechanical issues with the blu ray player itself (as I seen others have)
Thank you much...any other pc issues I have in future I will not hesitate to contact you and use your services.

Suze
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

You won't have any problems with the player - mine is a year old, same model, and I've had no problems.

Glad the router worked - here is the logic, FYI:

Every device on your network (laptop + BluRay) need an IP address. It is an address on your network, just like you have an address of where you live within your city. The address on your modem (75.85.46.70) is a public address the internet can see. The addresses on your devices (192.168.1.x) are private and cannot be seen on the internet. There are blocks of addresses that are set up for home use only and everyone uses the same ones. Mine are exactly like yours.

For your devices to connect to the internet, is needs to use the 75.85.46.70 address - the router takes care of all of the changes to do this. The gateway address (192.168.1.1), is the address of your router on the network, and your devices use this to get 'outside' and will be exactly the same on every device, even new ones.

What was happening in your scenario was there was not gateway because there was no router to assign it - hubs are a non intelligent pieces of hardware that just pass information around and are slower. Kind of like a guy talking to a person in a room, but yelling so everyone can here it.

Those are the basics - hope it wasn't too much info. My thoughts were maybe if you added something else to your network later, it would make it a bit easier.

Thank you again and have a great weekend!