Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
Experience:  Cisco and Microsoft certified with over 20 years experience in system design, integration and development
13852270

I have purchased a new computer, now I cant get the router

I have purchased a new computer, now I can't get the router working right. I lost all my wi-fi capability and my friend told me about "mac addy", but I cannot figure it out. I see too that it is not secured. Please help.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

First, I need more information in order to better assist you.

What the computer originally able to connect to the wireless network?

Also, what is the make and model of the router?

And is the router new as well?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The new computer is a Gateway, the last computer was a Dell and it connected just fine. The router is a Linsky's and it is new. I noticed that the wi-fi wasn't secure anymore after adding the new computer, and I tried to fix it but messed up somehow. Now I can't use wi-fi for my iPhone anymore either.
Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
Ok so next please let me know what changes you made to the router configuration.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I used to be able to enter a password XXXXX hook up to the wi-fi, and when I installed the new computer it said the wi-fi connection wasn't secure. I am not sure what I did, the computer keeps needing to be connected to the broadband connection, and when I use my iPhone it keeps popping up to enter a password XXXXX wi-fi, but nothing I enter works. I'm not really sure what I did. Can you help?
Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
Yes, we should be able to sort it out.

So next do you have a custom name for your network or did you leave it at the default SSID which is Linksys?

Also, when you try connecting to your wireless network are there other networks with the same name in the network list? (when you click Start, Connect To then select the wireless network)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It comes up as MARYS-PC_Network, but it used to come up as Linksys. When I use my iPhone and try to connect the only one it shows is MARYS-PC_Network. And it shows that as secure, but I can't figure out the password. I'd like to get it all back how it was, with the name being Linksys, and it being secure, needing the old password.
Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
So when you click Start, Connect To then view the list of available networks is the MARYS-PC_Network in the list?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you say click Start, Connect To, which device are you speaking about? If I hit start on the computer, Connect To isn't an option. On my iPhone, the "Select a Wi-Fi Network" pops up, and the only one listed is MARYS-PC_Network.
Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
On the computer. So next click Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet, then Connect to a Network then let me know if MARYS-PC_Network is listed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It says currently connected to linksys.
Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
Ok good. So it is working and may be connected to the correct network. Can you access the Internet through the wireless?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I use my iPhone, setting, then Wi-Fi, it says Not Connected. If I go to the Wi-Fi Networks page it tells me to choose a network, either MARYS-PC_Network, or other.....

I went with other and typed in Linksys, but was told it was unable to join.

Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
First on the PC, if the PC is connected to only the wireless network (the "Linksys" network) can you then connect to the Internet from the PC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it says currently connected to the internet using linksys.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What happened? It's been an hour and a half, are you still there?
Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
Ok then if you can connect to the Internet through that connection I suspect that that is your wireless network and that the router configuration is the same as before the new computer and perhaps what happened is that the MARYS-PC_Network is a label assigned to the network in the iPhone only.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I try to enter linksys on my iPhone, and it says "Could not find the network "linksys". And when I try to enter a password XXXXX join MARYS-PC_Network, it tells me it is the incorrect password.
Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
Ok so first, are you able to access the Internet through wireless now on the PC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Maybe not, I'm kind of confused. I believe I am accessing the Internet through the broadband connection itself. I don't think anything can access the Internet wirelessly. I would like to restore it so that I strictly have the linksys with the old password. It used to work so good before.
Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
Ok so to test the wireless, disconnect the PC from the network cable and make sure the router is connected to the modem and then on the PC try accessing the Internet from the PC. If it connects to the Internet then the router is configured correctly and the iPhone needs to be reconfigured.
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
Experience: Cisco and Microsoft certified with over 20 years experience in system design, integration and development
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I disconnected the PC from the network cable, made sure the router was connected to the modem, and nothing. I could not access the Internet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm new to this system, and I really would like to resolve this issue. Is there any way we can start all over? It is very frustrating because it should be easy to fix, or so I thought, but I really rely on the Wi-Fe aspect and have no access to it. Please help.
Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
Ok then next while the PC is connected only to the wireless network click Start then in Search type CMD and press Enter and then in the left pane a command line icon will appear. Right click on the icon and select Run As Administrator, and then when the command line opens type 'ipconfig /all' and press enter. Next, right click the bar at the top of the command line window and click Edit then Select All. Next, right click the top bar again and select Edit then Copy and then click Start then in the Search box type Notepad then in Notepad click Edit then Paste then save the Notepad document to a USB key/drive then move the drive to a computer that can connect to the Internet and connect to the Just Answer site and click this text box and press CTL and V keys at the same time to paste the command line output here so I can review.

Also on the command line of the computer that cannot connect type:

ping www.hongkong.com

and then press Enter then type:

ping 202.84.1.82

and press Enter and let me know if you receive a reply on the command line to either ping command.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I'm going to try what you suggested, bear with me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

C:\Users\Marys>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Marys-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.invalid
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-9E-69-4E-5D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.domain.invalid:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Users\Marys>

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Marys>pine www.hongkong.com
'pine' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Marys>ping www.hongkong.com

Pinging www.hongkong.com [202.84.1.82] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 202.84.1.82: bytes=32 time=313ms TTL=231
Reply from 202.84.1.82: bytes=32 time=302ms TTL=232
Reply from 202.84.1.82: bytes=32 time=318ms TTL=231
Reply from 202.84.1.82: bytes=32 time=302ms TTL=230

Ping statistics for 202.84.1.82:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 302ms, Maximum = 318ms, Average = 308ms

C:\Users\Marys>ping 202.84.1.82

Pinging 202.84.1.82 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 202.84.1.82: bytes=32 time=254ms TTL=230
Reply from 202.84.1.82: bytes=32 time=258ms TTL=229
Reply from 202.84.1.82: bytes=32 time=285ms TTL=231
Reply from 202.84.1.82: bytes=32 time=281ms TTL=232

Ping statistics for 202.84.1.82:
Minimum = 254ms, Maximum = 285ms, Average = 269ms

C:\Users\Marys>

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did you receive the information I sent you?

Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
Yes, and it appears that you are connected to the Internet through wireless if the test was run with only the wireless connected on the laptop because the computer is receiving replies from the www.hongkong.com site on the Internet.

So next open a web browser and let me know if you can connect to http://www.hongkong.com on the PC with only the wireless network connected.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, my laptop connects just fine, the only problem I now have is my iPhone will not connect.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If you can just tell me how to change the network password, I think everything will be fine.
Expert:  Syseng replied 4 years ago.
Ok then on the iPhone is the network key you are entering the same that you entered in the PC? If not sure then you could download the utility at the link below then double click on the downloaded file then double click on the .exe file to run the utility and find the key the PC is using (just to confirm it):

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wirelesskeyview.zip
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer